Rebarrel Browning A Bolt - Brisbane gunsmiths?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rebarrel Browning A Bolt - Brisbane gunsmiths?

Post by Rathie » 05 Apr 2020, 5:08 pm

G'day all,

I have an issue with my Browning A Bolt 22 Hornet that unfortunately the dealer and Winchester Australia have not been very helpful with.

It's now well past the warranty time - so I'm looking for an excuse to rebarrel to 17 hornet. I recently found a tikka 55 in 222 in beautiful condition - so a 17 is in order!

Any recommendations for a good gunsmiths in Brisbane? TSE seem to get good feedback - thoughts?
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Rebarrel Browning A Bolt - Brisbane gunsmiths?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 Apr 2020, 5:21 pm

Try swan in Ipswich. But be aware at the moment i believe gunsmiths and gunshops are all shut
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 05 Apr 2020, 5:33 pm

Kingston Bros at West End do good work.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 05 Apr 2020, 6:39 pm

lMHO trentech in carina is who l would be going to ph 0415 370 273
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 05 Apr 2020, 8:00 pm

Would you be better off finding a different rifle to rebarrel? Some gunsmiths don't like to work with the Browning.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 05 Apr 2020, 8:05 pm

Was gunna say the same, Browning have been known to be hit and miss due to the loctite they use on barrel thread, potential for action damage apparently

A bolts are probably the least rebarreled actions Ive seen. Seen only a few early series A bolts rebarreled.
Last edited by Bill on 05 Apr 2020, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rathie » 05 Apr 2020, 8:29 pm

Thanks all,

I hear good things about Swan.

Research on A Bolt issues seem to indicate a bit of 'internet hysteria - I'll wait till a gunsmiths has a look.

And yep- with what's happening it may be a while before I can take the rifle in.
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2020, 8:05 am

As long as you understand the quality of action you have, you will be tipping $1,000 into a rifle that is not highly regarded. If you go ahead with it you will have far more in it than the rifle is worth.

Not sure about the hysteria bit but if people are saying there are issues you would be foolish not to ask the opinion of a competent gunsmith.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rathie » 06 Apr 2020, 8:45 am

Agreed SCJ - sending good money down the drain.

Bill - I tried responding back to you via pm - not sure it worked?

I’ll see if a decent gunsmiths can address the issue and then put her on the market.

Cannot say the experience with the local LGS, Winchester Australia or Browning has been pleasant.

I’ll be looking for a nice little CZ in 17 hornet
Brno Model 2 22lr
Howa mini 6.5 Grendel
Tikka M55 222 Rem
Tikka M55 6mm TCU
20 gauge single shot
Rathie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2020, 8:50 am

How do smiths grip barrels and wind them out without marking the outside of the barrell ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Apr 2020, 10:20 am

Blr243 wrote:How do smiths grip barrels and wind them out without marking the outside of the barrell ?

leather or rubber as vise pads
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Apr 2020, 10:48 am

Thanks MM
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Apr 2020, 8:38 am

I feel for you Rathie, it is a pity Winchester Australia could not help you with your issue. You may do better to cut your losses and start out with a better action. Treat yourself because you deserve a good result after getting the rough end of the stick with your Browning. Good luck mate.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 07 Apr 2020, 9:56 am

As is frequently the case on these sorts of threads a wealth of misinformation is on offer.
Unless something has changed over the years with their newer models, the Browning A bolt centerfire has it's barrel threaded into an insert which is then pressed into the receiver ring.
It is feasible to safely remove and replace the barrel but a special action wrench is required. It is not readily available to the best of my knowledge. So as to not risk loosening or otherwise disturbing the insert in the receiver your gunsmith would have to fabricate a special action wrench or procure the correct one. This will add so much to the rebarreling cost making it uneconomic to do so.
You probably can buy another rifle in the caliber of your dreams for less.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 07 Apr 2020, 10:23 am

Swan make a booring barrels that will shoot repeatable 1/2 inch groups. I say booring because i haven't found anything it doesnt shoot well.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing