Splined Pin @#$%

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Splined Pin @#$%

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Apr 2020, 5:53 pm

The splined pin in my receiver will not budge with tapping, even when heat assisted. I could bodgie a support and press it out in the vice, assuming that it will come out :unknown: It's a lot of trouble given that I have never done it before. Not sure if the spline-end of the pin would not do some damage on the way out. The pin is the pivot for the trigger/sear, in my Mossberg 464 and all I wanted to do was lighten the trigger pull, which is 7 pounds.

What are your opinions please? The choices that I can think of are:-
1. Give it to a smith
2. Have a go myself.
3. Give up
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Splined Pin @#$%

Post by Farmerpete » 08 Apr 2020, 8:42 pm

I think this is a question only you can answer.
How confident/competent mechanically are you?
Are you sure the pin should punch/press out?
Have you got access to an exploded view in parts/ maintenance manual?

If your confident you can do it I wouldn't recommend a Smith, most in oz are just fitter and Turners that specialize in guns, there's no formal qualifications. That being said occasionally you find a rare one who really knows his stuff.

I have never pulled a Mossberg trigger apart but I'll bet someone on YouTube has. Just be selective about the advice you take from there as anyone can post and none of it is fact checked. But at least you'll see how someone else broke their gun first.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 08 Apr 2020, 8:43 pm

Are you sure you are driving it in the correct direction? That is if they are directional.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 08 Apr 2020, 8:58 pm

Go in google type in off Mossberg manual 464 go to page 18 I think that's the exploded view and look for the pin I think it only comes out 1 way spline end out first I am at work so can't look on phone
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 08 Apr 2020, 9:07 pm

Ugh Mossberg, haven't got any experience with those except for my uncle's that is s**t also and I've never tried tinkering with that trigger.... Good luck
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Apr 2020, 9:38 pm

I have the Mossberg manual thank you pomemax. It does look like a separate part and I was tapping from the end opposite the spline. As for your advice re a smith, maybe I could speak to the importer.

Farmerpete, I have been looking on Yt for years and there is nothing. The Mossberg Owners Forum has nothing either. Funny that, eh?

Wombat,
Yep, I am hitting toward the spline.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 09 Apr 2020, 7:41 am

The pin head is splined for a reason. Probably to prevent it becoming loose in use and to discourage removal.
The prospects of a tinkerer improving the pull weight on a direct pull trigger without upsetting other functionality in this style of lever action is remote.
The pull weight is due to the trigger having to pull the full weight of the mainspring.
If you can't live without lightening the trigger pull you can try a softer mainspring at the risk of unreliable ignition or fabricate some form of trigger shoe that positions your index finger lower down the trigger blade for more leverage.
Another alternative is a weight training regime with supplements to strengthen your trigger finger.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 09 Apr 2020, 9:42 am

straightshooter,
I note what you say about "the trigger having to pull the full weight of the mainspring". Unfortunately, the spring is heavier(?) than stock because the original would not fire the rifle. Bit of a dilemma, eh?
To be candid, I have been seduced by topics from the gunsmithing section on marlinowners.com, where people report success with improving their 336 triggers. Of course, the 336 is unlike the 464, being much easier to take apart for one thing. The 464 sear is a separate part, making it even more complex, even if I could take the damn thing apart.
It's looking more and more like I will be making enquiries of the importer.

p.s. I am becoming acutely aware that I am trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse :crazy:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing