Blued brake on stainless barrel any problems?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Blued brake on stainless barrel any problems?

Post by heeple » 11 Mar 2014, 5:00 pm

Or vice versa... A stainless brake on a blued barrel?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about different metals being together causing corrosion issues?

It wasn't shooting specific thing, I think it was actually about building a dam or something :lol:

Anyone know of any issues with combining metals like this?
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Blued brake on stainless barrel any problems?

Post by Apollo » 11 Mar 2014, 5:05 pm

Depends on who the manufacturer of the Muzzle Break is...??? Screw on or slip on...??? Is it actually a Stainless Steel Brake or Aluminium Alloy....???

Maybe need to be a little more specific on what you propose doing.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 1sikxt » 11 Mar 2014, 5:14 pm

I believe it's raw aluminum to raw steel do react that's what I was taught during my apprenticeship
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Mar 2014, 5:20 pm

heeple wrote:Or vice versa... A stainless brake on a blued barrel?

I vaguely remember reading somewhere about different metals being together causing corrosion issues?

It wasn't shooting specific thing, I think it was actually about building a dam or something :lol:

Anyone know of any issues with combining metals like this?

I know what you are talking about and have struck it a few times in my trade, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, for electrolysis to occur moisture is neccesary (more than would normally be present on a firearm). A light oiling is all that is needed.

I have had various apeture sights, radius extenders made of alloy/steel/stainless on a number of blued and stainless target barrels over the years and there has never been a problem(and yes this was often in the open).

I have a blued thread protector on the barrel of my T3 .243 and it has been about in all weather for years with no issue. I did have a blued break on my .300wm for a number of years and it didn't seize.

As with all firearms, keep them oiled and dry and there will be no issues.

Someone else may have a different opinion and I would be glad to hear it.

edit, I have just been to check and my silver pigeon has steel barrels and stainless screw in chokes, they have never looked like seizing but have always been greased..
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by upup » 12 Mar 2014, 9:34 am

With greasing a brake to stop corrosion between the metals, do they never work themselves off the barrel due to to recoil/lube?
upup
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2014, 10:21 am

upup wrote:With greasing a brake to stop corrosion between the metals, do they never work themselves off the barrel due to to recoil/lube?

I very lightly grease shotgun chokes but have never greased a brake or sight assembly(only oil) so wouldn't know.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brisb » 12 Mar 2014, 10:37 am

A few guys have posted things with brakes blowing off when fired, but that pretty much always seems down to getting some off the shelf brake or not installing it property and it's being knocked off by the bullet, not squeezed off by the pressure.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing