MDT Oryx Chassis Questions

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

MDT Oryx Chassis Questions

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 May 2020, 11:21 am

Hi
Sorry if I have doubled up here,but looked at a MDT Oryx chassis on a website and it says"No Magazine"they have magazine there to buy,but not to fit the Oryx,so anyone out there that has one of these,can you please tell me
Are they a drop in fit(Howa Mini Action HB 223)
Are they comfortable
What magazine do they use or my own
Are they legal in Victoria? :unknown:

I'm just thinking about it,may still go with the Boyds stock or a B&C,just want some questions answered please :thumbsup:
Cheers
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: MDT Oryx Chassis Questions

Post by Strikey » 26 May 2020, 5:57 pm

Recently bought the Oryx for my Howa short action 223 and yes you need to buy a magazine separately with these stocks. It was a drop in fit but with the short action 223 it is necessary to remove approximately 4mm from the bolt stop not sure if this needed on the mini action, if this is not done the bolt will not feed from the magazine. My rifle was in a Boyds stock, the Supreme Varminter model, bedding done and was very accurate, as yet to shoot it in the Oryx but I don't think it will be any worse, this is predominantly a range rifle and the weight of it now definitely takes it away from being a hunting rifle.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: MDT Oryx Chassis Questions

Post by ozzielee303 » 26 May 2020, 8:15 pm

Strikey wrote:Recently bought the Oryx for my Howa short action 223 and yes you need to buy a magazine separately with these stocks. It was a drop in fit but with the short action 223 it is necessary to remove approximately 4mm from the bolt stop not sure if this needed on the mini action, if this is not done the bolt will not feed from the magazine. My rifle was in a Boyds stock, the Supreme Varminter model, bedding done and was very accurate, as yet to shoot it in the Oryx but I don't think it will be any worse, this is predominantly a range rifle and the weight of it now definitely takes it away from being a hunting rifle.

Hey Strikey
Since posting this,I have looked into it a bit more and find,that I do not want one now,I am going to put it towards a B&C stock,as mine is a hunting rig,I like the look of it the Oryx,but not that much now that I have pondered over it,thanks :drinks:
Cheers
ozzielee303
"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.
ozzielee303
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing