Spray can finish

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Spray can finish

Post by Shootermick » 29 May 2020, 8:43 pm

Has anyone ever taken a rattle can to their rifle? I mean, only on an older, worn looking gun that you don’t care too much about. But with a DIY job with some Krylon or a similar product it might tidy it up some. Or not?
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Spray can finish

Post by RUGGA » 29 May 2020, 9:25 pm

Yeah ive done a couple that had almost no bluing left. My motivation was rust protection Used what I had laying around.
I sanded back, degreased, 3 layers etching primer then 5 or 6 layers of colour bond fence touch up spray. Held up to scratches from scrub reasonably well. Wouldn't do it on a gun in good nick.
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Shootermick » 29 May 2020, 10:08 pm

RUGGA wrote:Yeah ive done a couple that had almost no bluing left. My motivation was rust protection Used what I had laying around.
I sanded back, degreased, 3 layers etching primer then 5 or 6 layers of colour bond fence touch up spray. Held up to scratches from scrub reasonably well. Wouldn't do it on a gun in good nick.

I’m looking at a gun with most of the bluing gone, slight surface rust. I’m thinking of buying it, but would only want it if I tidy up the exterior a bit.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 29 May 2020, 11:45 pm

I used Elestoplast to cover the barrel and sprayed paint over the top. Protected the steel for years even shot it in the rain.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by RUGGA » 30 May 2020, 12:01 am

Fun little project and I liked how mine turned out. Matt grey shotty barrel and olive green barrel and action on a 223.
I Wouldn't hesitate to do it again and saved a bit of oiling and worry in humid conditions.

Economics wise I dunno what rebluing is worth nowadays but materials for prep and painting could be 60 to 100 bucks and if you want to make it pretty again after chipping or scratching you might have to strip and do it again.

Seems painted guns are worth less on usedguns.com.au etc so probably devalues if that matters. The ones I did only cost me the price of PTAs.
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by marksman » 30 May 2020, 11:45 am

l painted a brand new SS barrel with pot belly black to stop it from being so out of place in the field
this paint is pretty rugged, it does not scratch easily
https://www.bunnings.com.au/white-knigh ... t_p1563023

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 30 May 2020, 11:54 am

Why not just get a jar of "birchwood Casey super blue" and blue the barrel again? I've used it on a couple of small bits after polishing it works great.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 12:19 pm

marksman wrote:l painted a brand new SS barrel with pot belly black to stop it from being so out of place in the field

That looks good. Did u need under coat?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 May 2020, 1:37 pm

marksman wrote:l painted a brand new SS barrel with pot belly black to stop it from being so out of place in the field

Good job. Was it as simple as just spraying it on? What sort of prep was needed?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 30 May 2020, 2:39 pm

its actual pot belly black stove paint, its an undercoat and paint all in one, so l just gave the barrel a wipe with turps, taped it up and painted 2 coats
the barrel was even taken off by the gunsmith and had the chamber details put on it in a cnc machine without marking the paint
it worked for me :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 30 May 2020, 3:38 pm

As a side note. A lot of synthetic stocks become greasy and slippery in the hand. I’ve wondered if there is some sort of rubber gripping type material that could be spayed on and give an even grippy feel and finish?
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 4:59 pm

Doesnt look too bad at all.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2020, 5:01 pm

Doesnt look too bad at all.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Jun 2020, 11:55 am

what contour is that marksman? i bet it keeps putting them in there.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Jun 2020, 2:54 pm

its a #7 shilen standard varmint and yes it does keep putting them in there
for a hunting rifle l would not go any heavier
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 01 Jun 2020, 4:04 pm

Very nice. I have a similar gun. Mines a #2260 Walther - SS Remington Varmint, only I had mine cerakoted pot-belly black. Cost $154 for the cerakoting.

howa_small.jpg
howa_small.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 6348 times

Mine's a dedicated 223 target rifle; ways a ton.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 01 Jun 2020, 5:31 pm

your rifle/barrel turned out very nicely, l'll bet it shoots as well
l was trying to replicate the cerakoting with mine being a cheap bugger and thought if the finish doesn't last no big deal but it has been on for around 5-6 years now and is still ok, l think the paint has got harder and harder over time, l would do it again, l found it pretty satisfying
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 01 Jun 2020, 8:56 pm

150 for cerakote. That’s a deal. I’m doin it too. I’ll do some enquire s tomorrow
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Jun 2020, 9:00 pm

When I bought my ATA it came with a 2 pack blueing agent. I’ve not tried it now bothered reading about it - but I suspect a scratch showing as silver would be equally highlighted with a brand new blue...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 01 Jun 2020, 9:06 pm

Blr243 wrote:150 for cerakote. That’s a deal. I’m doin it too. I’ll do some enquire s tomorrow

To be fair, he did a whole lotta other work at the same time. Can’t imagine it’d be that price for a stand-alone jobby.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 02 Jun 2020, 10:58 am

marksman wrote:l was trying to replicate the cerakoting with mine being a cheap bugger and thought if the finish doesn't last no big deal but it has been on for around 5-6 years now and is still ok, l think the paint has got harder and harder over time, l would do it again, l found it pretty satisfying

mate your looks good also - nobody but yoruself is doing a detailed inspection. next barrel i'm getting is just a chrome-moly; and i won't be spending money on cerakoting. I might just follow your footsteps and DIY.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Jun 2020, 8:10 pm

I bought a Rem 700 that had been attacked with rattle cans.

The best part was, it devalued it severely making it a cheap buy and it cleaned off really easily when I got it home.

I guess it's fair to say that it's a cheap easy job that's effective, easy to touch up and easily removed with thinners when if your taste changes.
mobile 041.jpg
Fully sick cammo
mobile 041.jpg (54.56 KiB) Viewed 6316 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2020, 8:22 pm

I thought about doing t h at myself. But decided a mat black plastic stock is cammo enough. I dont think the foxes really care.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Jun 2020, 8:47 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I bought a Rem 700 that had been attacked with rattle cans.

The best part was, it devalued it severely making it a cheap buy and it cleaned off really easily when I got it home.

I guess it's fair to say that it's a cheap easy job that's effective, easy to touch up and easily removed with thinners when if your taste changes.
mobile 041.jpg

this is what l want to do with my car :thumbsup: serious :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2020, 4:21 pm

marksman wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I bought a Rem 700 that had been attacked with rattle cans.

mobile 041.jpg

this is what l want to do with my car :thumbsup: serious :drinks:

Wish i had a bush basha to paint in camo...!!...Im trying to avoid thinking about doing it to my car...lol...

If its of use to you marksman...Back when we did those portable shooting benches, this is the video i followed to camo my bench top.
I watched a fair bit of camo painting rubbish of youchoobe & think this was the best i saw.
Its easy, but not as easy as it looks...took me a good bit to get the patterns good & a feel for the layering...
And i found big overgrown handfulls of long kikuyu grass & small branches of eucalypti leaves looked the best & closest i could get to mallee country...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2AlREfrEn0

I just wish the cans of that paint were only $3 here...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 Jun 2020, 8:54 pm

:drinks: thanks for putting that up Stix, l've been talking about doing it for about 2 years now, the idea may be nearly cooked and ready to do soon
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 23 Jun 2020, 10:01 pm

I bought some Rust Oleum high heat spray paint today, couldn’t find the White Knight branded stuff in my town. I’ve cleaned the outside of my barrel with turps and given it a gentle going over with a fine brass brush. I’ll repeat the cleaning and get the heater going in the shed and paint it up on the weekend, see how it turns out.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jun 2020, 3:47 am

It is pretty amazing how good you can get a finish with rattle cans - preparation shines obviously, but if your going to the trouble, get some quality aerosols, you’ll not only get a better paint product, but better / more consistent nozzles that flow the same rate.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 24 Jun 2020, 6:52 am

TassieTiger wrote:It is pretty amazing how good you can get a finish with rattle cans - preparation shines obviously, but if your going to the trouble, get some quality aerosols, you’ll not only get a better paint product, but better / more consistent nozzles that flow the same rate.

Thanks Tassie. So you wouldn’t recommend Rust Oleum then? I wanted the White Knight pot belly black like Marksman used but couldn’t get any, so I got a bit of an equivalent, although I don’t know much about Rust Oleum so it was a stab in the dark. If it’s not gonna be any good maybe I’ll wait until I get to a bigger town with a Bunnings or something and get a better product to use.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 24 Jun 2020, 7:33 am

Shootermick wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:It is pretty amazing how good you can get a finish with rattle cans - preparation shines obviously, but if your going to the trouble, get some quality aerosols, you’ll not only get a better paint product, but better / more consistent nozzles that flow the same rate.

Thanks Tassie. So you wouldn’t recommend Rust Oleum then? I wanted the White Knight pot belly black like Marksman used but couldn’t get any, so I got a bit of an equivalent, although I don’t know much about Rust Oleum so it was a stab in the dark. If it’s not gonna be any good maybe I’ll wait until I get to a bigger town with a Bunnings or something and get a better product to use.

What I’ve found - the smaller tube like nozzles with the red adjustable centre, will slowly close up giving. Giving different paint flow rate...then you clean it off and start again and it’s different again.
If you can find them - you can buy interchangeable nozzles - they are flat and round and if you swap those Out every minutes or do for a fresh one, you get consistency. Then clean the 4 or 5 youve used, for the next rattle can. Last time I bought those interchange nozzles - were $9 for 10.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to Gunsmithing