Sauer 100XT feeding issue

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Sauer 100XT feeding issue

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jun 2020, 10:36 pm

Hi Folks
Just wondering if anyone else has had/is having feeding issues with their Sauer 100XT. Mine is in .223.
The bolt cycles fine when the magazine's not loaded , but when it's in loaded, it dosnt cycle smoothly when it's pushing the round in, it's giving me resistance, enough to be uncomfortable.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Sauer 100XT feeding issue

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jun 2020, 10:54 pm

I’ve had a couple slight issues if cycling very slowly - but a light coating of oil resolved my issues and making a determined action to get the jolt home.
You can lap the bolt and make it like glass...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jun 2020, 11:26 pm

20200606_232105.jpg
20200606_232105.jpg (2.18 MiB) Viewed 9956 times
TassieTiger wrote:I’ve had a couple slight issues if cycling very slowly - but a light coating of oil resolved my issues and making a determined action to get the jolt home.
You can lap the bolt and make it like glass...

Iv been cycling it for 15 minutes to see what I can see, I was cycling the same round over and over. I started to notice a scrape Mark on the brass.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 06 Jun 2020, 11:29 pm

I think this is where it's coming from
Attachments
aviary-image-1591449469170.jpeg
aviary-image-1591449469170.jpeg (426.77 KiB) Viewed 9954 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jun 2020, 11:33 pm

This was originally posted by Marksman - it’s a really, really good series of videos.
I think This one shows what you need to do—
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq0iCDuasgo
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2020, 11:41 pm

its definitely dragging on something, if its under warranty send it back for a look
it could be a number of things from the mag feed lips not the right angle, or maybe hitting the feed ramp or the edge of the chamber, any of these things are usually related to the mag feed lips, being push feed the round may not be popping up early enough
let us know how you go :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 6:44 am

if it were my rifle , i would deburr that edge with a dremel . very,very slightly . if that's not a option return it to the place of purchase for a fix :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2020, 6:59 am

Mine was bought new. Never polished or fiddled with in any way. It’s a 243 Despite lots of dust and field use , factory ammunition or reloads, it’s accurate and feeds fine and everting functions flawlessly ....it’s one of those rifles that feels beautiful and perfect in the hands ( and I don’t mean looks) It inspires confidence in the user. no wild animal can escape a well sighted sauer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 07 Jun 2020, 7:09 am

I have no familiarity with that action BUT I would caution against putting on your butchers apron and removing material that later it will be impossible to replace.
It is difficult for me to imagine a manufacturer such as Saur producing such a poorly toleranced feed arrangement.
Your investigation process should be something like......
Does it have a detachable magazine?
Does the magazine present the cartridge at the right angle?
Is it possible to push the magazine further up?
Etc.
If you are not able to diagnose the problem and even if it is no longer under warranty enquire about rectification due to a manufacturing deficiency.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 8:25 am

Im tempted to get the dremel out, but I think the first step I'll take is to call the shop and see what sort of feedback they give me.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2020, 9:11 am

I thought the lucky 13 mag for my 450 bm ruger was faulty because it fell out on firing from recoil ..but I was not assertive enough with seating. So now I just smash it in there and it’s fine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 9:20 am

Harrynsw wrote:Im tempted to get the dremel out, but I think the first step I'll take is to call the shop and see what sort of feedback they give me.

if you do dremel it harry, all your trying to do is remove any burr and leave a polished edge . you don't want to put a chamfer on the corner which may affect the fed angle . i've touched up extractors and polished the corners of locking lugs to achieve slick , smooth rifles . but use extreme caution with modification . taking back to the shop first is probably the best move :thumbsup:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 9:38 am

bigrich wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:Im tempted to get the dremel out, but I think the first step I'll take is to call the shop and see what sort of feedback they give me.

if you do dremel it harry, all your trying to do is remove any burr and leave a polished edge . you don't want to put a chamfer on the corner which may affect the fed angle . i've touched up extractors and polished the corners of locking lugs to achieve slick , smooth rifles . but use extreme caution with modification . taking back to the shop first is probably the best move :thumbsup:

Cheers, thanks big rich.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2020, 5:26 pm

IMHO if it is hitting the feed ramp it has something to do with the magazine not presenting the round at the right angle, what SS said
it is push feed so it is possibly not popping the round up early enough, thats a mag problem and so is not presenting the round at the right angle,
watch the round feed from the mag
dont get the 8" grinder out to quick :thumbsup:

your cycled round looks standard OAL, if you were using vld bullets because of the longer OAL l may agree with attacking the feed ramp with the 8" grinder
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2020, 5:56 pm

You know...ive got a 4", 4.5", 5" & 9" grinder & a 16" quick cut...and i didnt even know you could get 8" grinders... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2020, 6:35 pm

Stix wrote:You know...ive got a 4", 4.5", 5" & 9" grinder & a 16" quick cut...and i didnt even know you could get 8" grinders... :lol:

l'm using cavemans 8" grinder mate its a beut :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 07 Jun 2020, 7:23 pm

bloody 8" grinders ;) MM and stix , you jokers :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Jun 2020, 8:02 pm

All this 8 in grinder waffle is freaking me out. Bench mounted grinders are 8 inch. Large angle grinders are 9 inch.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2020, 8:22 pm

marksman wrote:
Stix wrote:You know...ive got a 4", 4.5", 5" & 9" grinder & a 16" quick cut...and i didnt even know you could get 8" grinders... :lol:

l'm using cavemans 8" grinder mate its a beut :thumbsup:

You know...i actually dont know what youre talking about...so much so that i just googled "cavemans 8"..." to see if there was a brand name called "caveman" who made an 8" grinder... :unknown:
:lol:
So im only laughing because i feel silly... :lol:

Then, i had to do some mental 'multi meaning' thinking...& i thought of...well...a caveman & his big stick with his missus...& i hope you lead her by the hand marksman, & not by the hair... :lol:

But all in all...i still not sure what you mean.. :unknown: ....maybe bigrich will whisper it in my ear when you're not looking & then ill pretend i knew all along... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 07 Jun 2020, 9:53 pm

My missus will tell ya I’ve an 8” grinder...
Sorry, dug it again. Wrong forum.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 07 Jun 2020, 10:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
caveman from this forum posted up about a week ago that he had got out his 8" grinder because of the bickering l supose you would call it :lol:
someone else did post up that they had never heard of an 8" grinder before and now his avatar is a grinder :lol:

its ok we can all sleep well tonight guys :drinks:
no need for googling 8" grinders anymore ;)

while l have mentioned bickering, hasn't it been quiet on the forum the last couple of days :wtf:
you would be able to hear one of DJ's field mice farting its been that quiet :lol:
l wonder hmmmmm :shock:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Jun 2020, 10:06 am

[quote="marksman"
while l have mentioned bickering, hasn't it been quiet on the forum the last couple of days :wtf:
you would be able to hear one of DJ's field mice farting its been that quiet :lol:
l wonder hmmmmm :shock:[/quote]

There's a lot of Bad, Serious, Stuff happening in the world and I am waiting to see what trend develops. Speaking for myself, of course :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 10 Jun 2020, 6:23 pm

I've got one in .308. I have an issue with it feeding if you work the bolt slowly and the rifle is pointing skyward. If I chamber a round fast or normal I have no dramas. A couple of times when I tried to silently cock the rifle real slow like I've had some binding of the round.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Jun 2020, 6:14 am

Strangedog wrote:I've got one in .308. I have an issue with it feeding if you work the bolt slowly and the rifle is pointing skyward. If I chamber a round fast or normal I have no dramas. A couple of times when I tried to silently cock the rifle real slow like I've had some binding of the round.

Some elements of your issue sound similar to mine. I called the store I bought it from yesterday, they said to bring it in, they pretty much knew what it was, they told me they might have to take a bur off, without me even fully explaining what the problem was, so pretty sure they've encountered it before.
When I get some free time I'll go to the garage and have a good look and see if I want to do it myself, save me a trip to the shop.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 Jun 2020, 9:16 am

I’d probably let the shop fix it harry, that way it won’t void any warranty. If they’ve offered, I’d let em do it . My sauer was wonderfully slick and fed well unless you cycled slowly. I’m going back to the reliable two locking lug internal mag Mauser style actions myself as I just like that system
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Jun 2020, 10:11 am

bigrich wrote:I’d probably let the shop fix it harry, that way it won’t void any warranty. If they’ve offered, I’d let em do it . My sauer was wonderfully slick and fed well unless you cycled slowly. I’m going back to the reliable two locking lug internal mag Mauser style actions myself as I just like that system

Yeah you're right, I'm just being lazy. Next opportunity, when ever that happens...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Peter988 » 11 Jun 2020, 4:45 pm

When my 100XT was new (223) it jammed the feed if more than two were in the mag. Fed fine with one or two. Jammed with three or four. Sent it back and they fixed it. Been fine since and shoots really well. Extremely happy with the rifle.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 Jun 2020, 7:02 pm

so where is the burr :unknown:

you will be able to check for a burr easily with a cotton bud

l've seen scrapes like those on your cases from the case dragging back against the side of the action when being extracted
not that has nothing to do with feeding :unknown:

let us know what you find its not hard to check :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Jun 2020, 9:12 pm

Peter988 wrote:When my 100XT was new (223) it jammed the feed if more than two were in the mag. Fed fine with one or two. Jammed with three or four. Sent it back and they fixed it. Been fine since and shoots really well. Extremely happy with the rifle.

Different issue, but an issue none the less. Do you know what they did to rectify the problem?
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 11 Jun 2020, 9:15 pm

marksman wrote:so where is the burr :unknown:

you will be able to check for a burr easily with a cotton bud

l've seen scrapes like those on your cases from the case dragging back against the side of the action when being extracted
not that has nothing to do with feeding :unknown:

let us know what you find its not hard to check :drinks:

Thanks for the cotton bud tip, I'll be sure to use it and I'll keep you posted, cheers.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Gunsmithing