Rust Bluing

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rust Bluing

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jun 2020, 9:51 pm

Sooo, some will have noticed I am repairing/restoring a Model 2 brno. There is a fair bit of rust on the barrel.

Having done a bit of research my understading is that cold bluing isnt very permanent. So I'm thinking of having a go at "rust bluing". Does anyone here have any experience in the area or
Recipes and methods?

Have watched a bit on youtube, boiling and steaming but thats all.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Rust Bluing

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Jun 2020, 2:59 am

G'day Oldbloke,
Cold blue works OK if you put the time and effort into it. I have done a few rifles and shotguns and they came up very nice and have endured for many years. the secret is preparation, care of application and not following the method in the instructions! 1st prep the barrel to a fine finish, heat the barrel to around 80C and apply a browning solution, I use Birchwood Casey, then card and rinse, repeat, then apply your Blue solution again I use Birchwood Casey. Card and clean between coats and apply np less than 6 coats. Hot blue is superior most of the time but only just, and doesn't take much more effort or time than a proper cold blue, just the time and effort to make the tanks for hot water, hot chemical then just apply time and effort like the cold blue. You need Potassium Nitrate and Sodium Hydroxide. Traditional rust bluing is the most time consuming but also gives a superb finish, build a humidifier or steamer (humidifier works best, it's a time thing) and rust, card repeat until you get the finish you want. Again the secret to succes is perfect preparation of the parts surface regarding finish and cleanliness. Best of luck, it can be very satisfying, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cleger » 11 Jun 2020, 9:02 am

Just finished rust bluing a 1911 last week-end. I used this product:
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php? ... anu_id=859

I had done a rifle in the past with Brownells' own "Classic Rust Blue" solution that requires humidity, etc, and likewise got good results, but the Mark Lee stuff is fast, and calls for heat, rather than humidity. I used the kitchen oven, and did 10 cycles in perhaps 5 or 6 hours. Result is a very deep, smooth black. From the look of it, I'd expect it to outlast "hot salts" blue.

As No1Mk3 wrote, prep is everything. I polished to 1000 grit, which was probably overkill - the process does dull the sheen, as I'm sure you've read, but better safe than sorry.

Finally joined just to post this. Greetings from New Hampshire!
Attachments
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg (2.77 MiB) Viewed 2901 times
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 2901 times
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jun 2020, 4:39 pm

Thanks for that cledger.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 11 Jun 2020, 10:23 pm

She’s a beauty cleger well done and thanks for sharing! The blue on the yellow also makes for a killer photograph!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jun 2020, 10:36 pm

Yes, very nice. Gives me something to aim for.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 11 Jun 2020, 10:39 pm

Haha..!!...yes...

I think the pack of ciggies makes the pic---shame about the colour of the lighter...a part open box of redheads with black ink scribbled moustache on the girls face, sat off to the side would make for a great staged pic...!!... :lol:

Looks like a good blue job though,,,well done... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 11 Jun 2020, 11:15 pm

pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cleger » 12 Jun 2020, 4:43 am

Thanks, guys! My knife and fountain pen were out for repairs, so I had to make do.

I should mention that I was on the fence re: buying a $20 "carding brush," but in the end I went ahead and did. I'm glad, because it would have been very difficult to clean out tighter areas with steel wool alone. Even though the Brownells brush is really just a stainless wire brush, its rather finer and softer than I could find in the shops around here.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Return to Gunsmithing