Removing Mod 94 Front Sight

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Removing Mod 94 Front Sight

Post by Strangedog » 15 Jun 2020, 9:39 pm

Just seeking some opinions here. I have a Winchester Mod 94 Ae .30-30 and I am contemplating removing the front sight. I have a scope mounted on it and never plan to shoot it with the open sights. The only reason I want it gone is because it snags up on the rifle bag when I get it out in a hurry when chasing pigs. (shooting from quad bike) All my bolt guns have no open sights and I like them that way and I also like the look of it as it looks natural. It's different with the 94 though and I wonder if it will detract from the looks of the rifle.
So I kind of have two questions.
1. Should I remove it or should I just put some tape over the sight to make it a bit more streamlined?
2. If I do remove it, is it as simple as punching the blade out of the dovetail from left to right with a brass punch?
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Removing Mod 94 Front Sight

Post by in2anity » 15 Jun 2020, 10:15 pm

Remove it. Follow your point 2 exactly. Tap it back in to sell it.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2020, 7:39 am

Well worth stick it in big white envelope marked front sight. This method gives me a glimmer of hope that I may eventually find it again when I need to
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 16 Jun 2020, 7:31 pm

Thanks. Noted.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing