Parts gun

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Parts gun

Post by Shootermick » 16 Jun 2020, 8:52 pm

If you buy a “parts gun” off one of the used gun sites does it have to be registered? I’m looking at a parts bundle with the barrel, action, bolt and stock all separated from each other and the ad say no PTA is required. I’m just after the stock, but it’s only $65 for the lot.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Parts gun

Post by marksman » 16 Jun 2020, 9:02 pm

not in Vic mate, the registered part, the action is destroyed
but they usually still want a look at your firearm licence :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 16 Jun 2020, 9:04 pm

It's usually the action that bears the serial number. Irrespective of whether it has a barrel, stock, trigger assembly attached, that is the part that f/a registry records.
That's how it is in QLD and I don't see it being any different in Vic, unless somebody else can point to the relevant legislation. Parts other than the action - fill your boots.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2020, 9:29 pm

Shootermick wrote:If you buy a “parts gun” off one of the used gun sites does it have to be registered? I’m looking at a parts bundle with the barrel, action, bolt and stock all separated from each other and the ad say no PTA is required. I’m just after the stock, but it’s only $65 for the lot.

The action needs to be licenced.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 16 Jun 2020, 9:33 pm

marksman wrote:not in Vic mate, the registered part, the action is destroyed
but they usually still want a look at your firearm licence :thumbsup:

Thanks marksman, that makes sense. The action mustn’t have been included then, but I wasn’t after it anyway.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Jun 2020, 1:25 am

G'day Shootermick,
The action has had a cut-off grinder run through it, this is why they offer them "no PTA". They were selling them at the last gun show in Melbourne no problems. I have bought one at the show for the barrel, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 17 Jun 2020, 6:41 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Shootermick,
The action has had a cut-off grinder run through it, this is why they offer them "no PTA". They were selling them at the last gun show in Melbourne no problems. I have bought one at the show for the barrel, Cheers.

Thanks, good to know how it works.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing