Preserving firearms and protecting wood

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Preserving firearms and protecting wood

Post by Cal-ApeR » 17 Jun 2020, 10:03 pm

Ok, so firstly, apologies if this post is in the wrong section. I couldn't decide where it would best go.
I have done a quick search of the forum and couldn't find anything quite what i'm after so i'll throw my question out here.

I have a few safe queens that have lovely Timber stocks. I rarely take them out for two reasons, firstly, i don't want to damage the stock (dumb i know) and secondly, if it rains, i hate the idea that my POI may shift. Now, I've been looking around at what some people suggest and i came across this video on youtube from Midway - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlToim_s0c0

They use wax on metal to protect and also all over the timber to prevent moisture affecting it. Question is - has anyone used WAX to limit moisture issues with timber stocks / secondly- does anyone use this on the metal? Does it work? I've only ever used oil. I'd fear using it and then not able to ever remove it.

From my research the Renaissance wax seems to be good quality stuff and is used in firearms preservation throughout the world's museums.

Thoughts?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Preserving firearms and protecting wood

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Jun 2020, 10:26 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Ok, so firstly, apologies if this post is in the wrong section. I couldn't decide where it would best go.
I have done a quick search of the forum and couldn't find anything quite what i'm after so i'll throw my question out here.

I have a few safe queens that have lovely Timber stocks. I rarely take them out for two reasons, firstly, i don't want to damage the stock (dumb i know) and secondly, if it rains, i hate the idea that my POI may shift. Now, I've been looking around at what some people suggest and i came across this video on youtube from Midway - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlToim_s0c0

They use wax on metal to protect and also all over the timber to prevent moisture affecting it. Question is - has anyone used WAX to limit moisture issues with timber stocks / secondly- does anyone use this on the metal? Does it work? I've only ever used oil. I'd fear using it and then not able to ever remove it.

From my research the Renaissance wax seems to be good quality stuff and is used in firearms preservation throughout the world's museums.

Thoughts?

Ive been dwelling on the same issues.

Ive recently made up some wax to protect a couple of my my oiled stocks and wondering if I could use it on the underside of the barrel and action as well. Im inclined to think it will work.

Equal parts.
BLO
Bees wax
Turps

Just melt the wax and mix with the other two. Apply to wooden stock annually.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Preserving firearms and protecting wood

Post by allan » 21 Jun 2020, 11:29 am

I've been using Renaissance wax on stocks and barrelled actions for many years - Very happy with the results and one tin will last a long time.
As Larry states in the video, highly regarded in the US. I have friends there who will drop 10 large on a firearm without batting an eyelid and they all swear by it.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Return to Gunsmithing