Marlin 1895 feed issues

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Marlin 1895 feed issues

Post by boingk » 21 Jun 2020, 1:17 pm

Hi guys,

I've recently got a new Marlin 1895GBL 45-70 lever gun and its giving me grief.

I took it to the range and managed to get a tube of PPU rounds off, but afetr a reload the second shot wouldn't budge out of the tube. I ended up going to loosen the bigger scre on the underside of the action, forward of the trigger group, and immediately the round pushed into place and was able to be cycled.

This tells me there is just a burr or something in the tube, possibly even that screw engaging a tad too far into its hole.

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Cheers.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Re: Marlin 1895 feed issues

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Jun 2020, 2:42 pm

I'm not a Marlin expert but until one comes along you might want to disassemble that action and have a good look for crud/burrs/etc. That screw that you loosened is the key to beginning a strip-down and you could easily be right about a burr in the magazine tube.
Disassembly vids can be found on youtube.
BTW, if you are going to clean from the breech, you will need those youtube instructions.
Good Luck mate :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Jun 2020, 4:25 pm

And another thing.
My experience with failure to feed from a tube mag is that the mag follower had to be removed, cleaned and polished. The inside of the tube itself needed cleaning too.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jun 2020, 7:29 pm

There is a bloke on here that knows levers inside and out. He is a complete lever action nutter ...I think it’s in2anity if my memory serves me well ....send him a pm if he does not chime in soon or u don’t get it sorted
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 21 Jun 2020, 7:30 pm

Thanks mate, I'll get into it tonight. If what you've said is the cause then I should have it licked in one hit.

If not, I'll report back with pictures and instructions for the benefit of those that follow.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by boingk » 21 Jun 2020, 9:25 pm

Alright, I think I fixed it. I didn't have an issue with the mag tube or follower, they actually seem pretty slick. Hmm.

I undid the screw to the immediate rear of the foregrip, on the underside ahead of the lever pivot. This is the bit I messed with at the range and the problem was magically fixed afterward.

Sure enough that screw has brass witness marks on the tip, so it protrudes into the magazine. I looked into the side feed and the hole is about where the rounds were getting held up. Well, all the signs are there.

I took a small file and gently gave a few rotations of the bolt on it, dulling the edge ever so slightly. I tried it back in the rifle before going any futher.

Success! I cycled about a dozen rounds through it quickly, had no more issues and called it good.

Well, thats the minor saga solved. Here's to Tuesday range day, fingers crossed.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 22 Jun 2020, 10:09 am

Hey boingk - it's great you fixed the problem the way you simply did, it really sounds like you dodged a bullet. I was going to suggest studying the carrier's relationship with the incoming round. But once you start messing with the carrier, you can really screw up your timing; I have an 1894 in 32H&R which has flaky timing and it's very very annoying. And they don't make carriers for them anymore :( I tend to opt for my 92 Winnie as primary when it really counts because it "just works".

Marlins have a tendancy to rattle themselves loose - you'll often see marlin shooters tightening their screws on the line, so it's worth keeping an eye on them. My 1894 needs to have its carrier screw tightened every 20 or so rounds to be reliable as it can be (which is still not that reliable :( ).
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 22 Jun 2020, 1:18 pm

in2anity wrote:Hey boingk - it's great you fixed the problem the way you simply did, it really sounds like you dodged a bullet. I was going to suggest studying the carrier's relationship with the incoming round. But once you start messing with the carrier, you can really screw up your timing; I have an 1894 in 32H&R which has flaky timing and it's very very annoying. And they don't make carriers for them anymore :( I tend to opt for my 92 Winnie as primary when it really counts because it "just works".

Marlins have a tendancy to rattle themselves loose - you'll often see marlin shooters tightening their screws on the line, so it's worth keeping an eye on them. My 1894 needs to have its carrier screw tightened every 20 or so rounds to be reliable as it can be (which is still not that reliable :( ).

Thanks mate!

I'll keep this in mind, I'd got half a mind to put a tiny dot of locktite on the parts, maybe even a dab of grey permatex. I'll see what I have in the inventory.

The 1895 is superb other than that one tiny little screw causing a feed issue. Cycles well, nice and smooth and positive feeling in the action. Stock fits snug and tight, it's not the SBL model I was after but then again I didn't pay SBL money for it either!

Here's a pic of it and the Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. Let me know if it doesn't work.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 22 Jun 2020, 1:33 pm

boingk wrote:Thanks mate!
I'll keep this in mind, I'd got half a mind to put a tiny dot of locktite on the parts, maybe even a dab of grey permatex. I'll see what I have in the inventory.
The 1895 is superb other than that one tiny little screw causing a feed issue. Cycles well, nice and smooth and positive feeling in the action. Stock fits snug and tight, it's not the SBL model I was after but then again I didn't pay SBL money for it either!

Very nice boingk - it's funny, my favorite two hunting rifles are a JM 30AS and a Ruger Ranch 300blk, so we are very much on the same page!

I think you actually did yourself a favor getting the SBL - the SBL has no barrel bands you see, which means not tight, choking clamping between the forend and barrel (as the barrel heats). Moving forward I will always try and avoid barrel bands, as they are annoying to relieve the tensions on without comprimising forend integrity.

Cast boolits all day long in a straight wall - epitomy of fun! and in the case of the govt, quite the stopping power!
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 22 Jun 2020, 2:08 pm

in2anity wrote:Very nice boingk - it's funny, my favorite two hunting rifles are a JM 30AS and a Ruger Ranch 300blk, so we are very much on the same page!

I think you actually did yourself a favor getting the SBL - the SBL has no barrel bands you see, which means not tight, choking clamping between the forend and barrel (as the barrel heats). Moving forward I will always try and avoid barrel bands, as they are annoying to relieve the tensions on without comprimising forend integrity.

Cast boolits all day long in a straight wall - epitomy of fun! and in the case of the govt, quite the stopping power!

I didn't think of the banding, good point.

And yep sounds like we're on the same page. I'm geared to load up some 405gr Black Widow loads with the Marlin, and some 230gr cast stuff with the Ruger. Should be a stack of fun, I'm planning some hunting loads with 2207 and a "plinking" load with Trailboss to keep the recoil and report mild... who knows I might end up using those for hunting as well for the same reasons.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Gunsmithing