Quality Modern Gunsmith Recommendations

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Quality Modern Gunsmith Recommendations

Post by Gunmanblues » 08 Jul 2020, 3:30 pm

Hi All,

Im looking for some current recommendations on a quality gunsmith in Victoria, SA, NSW or QLD to do a semi-custom build for me.

The rifles purpose is a Mid to Long range Mountain Rifle built of a Rem 700 action.

I have already gone out to a few of the well known suspects but im looking for recommendations from guys and gals who have had actually had rifles built firsthand.

Im not looking for advice on the build here either.

Feel free to plug your mates if their work is good thats the sort of info im looking for.

Cheers in advance!
Gunmanblues
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: Quality Modern Gunsmith Recommendations

Post by marksman » 08 Jul 2020, 5:59 pm

Bob De Vries at Kudu services

9 Currawong Road, Montrose.

03 9728 5430
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2020, 6:37 pm

Stuart and Annie know a thing or two about building custom rifles, so if you feature on their website you must have a pretty good reputation.

http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/special-services.html

Russell who features on this list has built me several hunting and competition rifles. The quality of the rifle has never held me back. Mainly the nut behind the butt needs fine tuning.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gunmanblues » 08 Jul 2020, 7:18 pm

I had an interesting conversation with Stuart the other week about a hard to find bit of kit. Nice feller.

Regarding the list of Gunsmiths on the page you linked. I am familiar with a few of them. The only one on that list whos work i have actually seen in person is David Kerr from Target Solutions. There is no doubt David Kerr is one of the best gunsmiths and bench rest shooters in the country.

If anyone has firsthand experience with others on that list id like to hear it. Good and bad.

There appears to be a lot of people on the internet saying such and such is good but id like to here from customers themselves. Warts and all if they are willing.

Thanks for your responses.
Gunmanblues
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Jul 2020, 7:32 pm

marksman wrote:Bob De Vries at Kudu services

03 9728 5430

I have a Ruger #1 big bore built by Kudu, they have done a lovely job and I am proud of that rifle too.

What caliber are you using for your build? Do you already have an action?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 08 Jul 2020, 7:59 pm

SCJ429 wrote:
marksman wrote:Bob De Vries at Kudu services

03 9728 5430

I have a Ruger #1 big bore built by Kudu, they have done a lovely job and I am proud of that rifle too.

What caliber are you using for your build? Do you already have an action?

Bob built my 6.5x55 on a 98m action his work is of a very high standard SCJ429 :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gunmanblues » 08 Jul 2020, 8:05 pm

Thankyou for your responses that was the sort of info im looking for!

Looks like i should give Bob from Kudu a call.
Gunmanblues
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by mickb » 14 Aug 2020, 4:38 am

Last I heard from Bob he is out of the game with disabling eyesight issue. There was a chance he could recover, but otherwise he wasnt taking on new projects when I called last year.

Aslo join the "Aussie gunsmithing advice " page on facebook. They have a few thousand members both regular gunowners and smiths and its admin are all smiths. You will get a lot of first hand reports there if you post your question up.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Aug 2020, 9:47 am

Thank you for posting that, mickb :thumbsup: I am going to see if they can help me with my Mossberg 464's trigger.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing