Oceania Precision AR Trigger

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Oceania Precision AR Trigger

Post by InisBineest » 06 Aug 2020, 10:05 pm

So about a year ago I put out a review for the Warwick Wfa1-L, and one of my only minor gripes was the heavy trigger (as I'm a sucker for a light trigger)

A year later (come tax time) after eyeing and trying various stopgap solutions, I finally replaced the whole trigger, with a drop in unit from not a trigger based company like Timney, but a local Firearms manufacturer Oceania Precision (OP) . This outfit is run by a bloke named Jeff and he is making a rifle that runs either along side or in competition too (depending on where you stand :P) the Warwick straight pulls.

Now I can't speak for his rifles (although I'm yet to hear a bad word on them) but the trigger he makes for them is excellent! The trigger on my Warwick broke at 3kgs... Not pounds, kilos. For hunting or plinking, that might be fine, and it wasn't an unpleasant trigger, just heavy.

But I really do like a light trigger, and while it isn't what you might find on a dedicated target rifle (which mine isn't) the OP trigger is a vast improvement.

And on a side note, Jeff, what a top bloke. Great to deal with and very helpful in providing support to install the thing when I found it wasn't as "drop in" as I'd imagined it would be. Not a fault with the trigger, just with my lack of understanding of how to remove a split pin... Yes I'm that potato sometimes, so sue me:D Got there in the end though and didn't break anything!
Attachments
IMG_20200806_214723.jpg
Installed
IMG_20200806_214723.jpg (3.63 MiB) Viewed 1823 times
IMG_20200806_214632.jpg
Factory trigger vs Oceania Precision, both very pretty Aussie goodness!
IMG_20200806_214632.jpg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 1824 times
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Oceania Precision AR Trigger

Post by MontyShooter » 06 Aug 2020, 10:27 pm

3 kilos! Wow. My warwick is just under 3 pounds but it's not the cleanest break. What did the OP trigger set you back? Is it adjustable?
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Oceania Precision AR Trigger

Post by InisBineest » 07 Aug 2020, 12:13 pm

MontyShooter wrote:3 kilos! Wow. My warwick is just under 3 pounds but it's not the cleanest break. What did the OP trigger set you back? Is it adjustable?

I had heard there were better Warwick triggers out there, but mine consistently took between 2.5 and 3kgs to break. The OP trigger was not cheap ($450 from memory) but I'm calling it worth it. The equivalent Timney trigger was a little cheaper, but I liked the idea of keeping the rifle as Aussie as I could. It isn't adjustable per de, but Jeff sent it with a spare 4.5lb trigger spring thta I might tinker with one day. It still has some pretravel, but that is the nature of an AR trigger, you need some sear engagement and that will always have a little give (unless it is a more expensive set up that runs on a different mechanism, but I can't find those sort in Aus). The adjustment screw that I bought should fix it, but I'm leaving it as is as without the weight it isn't bad at all.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing