Removing a stuck borensake

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Removing a stuck borensake

Post by mickb » 18 Aug 2020, 12:27 am

Yup, bean a while since I got something caught in a firearm. Cant get a 357 cloth boresnake out of the 410 barrel in a 22LR/410 ga combo gun.. Heaven knows why a 357 snake is getting stuck, cheapo ebay one, maybe sent me the wrong calibre. Being a large gorilla I thought I would win, and I thought I was for the first 8 inches or so. :lol: , which is about how far the end is past the chamber. I am no handyman, in the army this is where I would take it the armorer and donate him a six pack. So do I just hammer it out from either end with a dowel ?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Removing a stuck borensake

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Aug 2020, 12:33 am

Maybe try warm up Barrel somehow or cool the snake ending - or both. Or fill with 10ml of oil from direction your Intending to dowel from.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 18 Aug 2020, 8:18 am

I had a similar problem a while back and used some thick Tig welding wire with a pointed end and pushed it through the snake. When it emerged out of the barrel I bent it into a small hook shape and pulled it back the other way. Got the bugger out and being the barrel was smooth bore it did't seem to do any damage.
Just a suggestion. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 18 Aug 2020, 8:18 am

You could soak it with solvent and let it sit overnight. If you have not snapped off the end of the bore snake, you can stand on one end and pull the rifle up, or secure the end in a vice and hold the rifle.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 18 Aug 2020, 8:39 am

I misread the title and I thought you typed borescope and I thought this could be interesting,,,,how the bloody hell did u get a borescope stuck in a barrel ? Silly me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Aug 2020, 8:40 am

Good luck with it and let us know how you solved it in case we do the same one day
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 18 Aug 2020, 9:12 am

mickb mate do you have an old cleaning rod ? if so try pushing it in the same direction as you started pulling the snake, but before you do that lube the bore ahead of the snake on the end you are going to push toward, maybe even soak it over night with thin oil or spray pack 3in1 barrel lube, you may have to give it a little tap with a soft hammer to get it moving ,this is how i got one out of a 303 i had lent to a bloke, it took a little bit to get it moving but once it started it came fairly easy :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 18 Aug 2020, 9:34 am

can try putting the end of the snake in a drill and use that to twist it up tight as its pulled out, might be lucky enough that it would constrict it enough to make it smaller than the bore, good luck. oh and yeah use some sort of penetrating lube like penetrine or whatevs ya got laying around.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Aug 2020, 9:37 am

If I was doing it, I would push the snake towards the end that it started from ie back out the way it went in. It would not hurt to lube the bore overnight and if it is a 410 then a 3/8" dowel should drop in. Put the barrel in a vice and start tapping.
And the very best of luck to you mate :thumbsup:

BTW, I know that previous posts disagree with me but I think that if you keep forcing the snake in the original direction then it would just get tighter and tighter. I don't know :unknown: maybe there is a tight spot in the bore the stopped the snake and if you backed out, then you would avoid it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2020, 1:06 pm

Perhaps an old trick. I'm assuming that the end of the b ore snake part way up the bore out of reach.
This might scratch the bore.
Get a piece of fencing wire and bend it multiple times to make it break leaving a small dag at the break edge. the wire will need to be fairly long then shove the broken end with the dag up the bore and twist The Dag should catch the boresnake. Twist a few times and pull. Good luck this is not sound like an easy one. an alternative might be to use some sort of chemical to dissolve the bore snake but you would need to test any chemicals on the the snake and the boar before trying
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 18 Aug 2020, 6:35 pm

Thanks fellas, just soaking it in some lube tonight and then will apply some of the methods suggested.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2020, 6:36 pm

Good luck luck
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Aug 2020, 7:43 pm

Compressed air might be an option if you have an air compressor.

A small piece of rubber hose on the compressor nozzle will give you a good deal.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2020, 11:07 pm

Self tapper on the end of a rod. Sam as BP boys use to remove lead balls. I got one in the shed.

Screenshot_20200818-230838_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200818-230838_Chrome.jpg (180.34 KiB) Viewed 4723 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 19 Aug 2020, 8:33 am

mickb wrote:Yup, bean a while since I got something caught in a firearm. Cant get a 357 cloth boresnake out of the 410 barrel in a 22LR/410 ga combo gun.. Heaven knows why a 357 snake is getting stuck, cheapo ebay one, maybe sent me the wrong calibre. Being a large gorilla I thought I would win, and I thought I was for the first 8 inches or so. :lol: , which is about how far the end is past the chamber. I am no handyman, in the army this is where I would take it the armorer and donate him a six pack. So do I just hammer it out from either end with a dowel ?

Did it ever occur to you or the numerous posters of advice that your 410 barrel will have a choke.
You don't give any detail as to what exactly was on the end of the bore snake you have tried to pull through the barrel.
If it was a patch over a brush then it will be even more difficult as the bristles will have to "bend over" so the brush can reverse direction.
Assuming the worst case my approach would be to cut the boresnake as close to the muzzle as possible and then carefully hammer an 8mm or 9mm hardwood dowel down from the muzzle end.
Boresnakes only have two uses.
1. Oiling a bore in an emergency situation.
2. Extracting money from mugs who don't know any better.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 19 Aug 2020, 7:56 pm

straightshooter wrote:
mickb wrote:Yup, bean a while since I got something caught in a firearm. Cant get a 357 cloth boresnake out of the 410 barrel in a 22LR/410 ga combo gun.. Heaven knows why a 357 snake is getting stuck, cheapo ebay one, maybe sent me the wrong calibre. Being a large gorilla I thought I would win, and I thought I was for the first 8 inches or so. :lol: , which is about how far the end is past the chamber. I am no handyman, in the army this is where I would take it the armorer and donate him a six pack. So do I just hammer it out from either end with a dowel ?

Did it ever occur to you or the numerous posters of advice that your 410 barrel will have a choke.
You don't give any detail as to what exactly was on the end of the bore snake you have tried to pull through the barrel.
If it was a patch over a brush then it will be even more difficult as the bristles will have to "bend over" so the brush can reverse direction.
Assuming the worst case my approach would be to cut the boresnake as close to the muzzle as possible and then carefully hammer an 8mm or 9mm hardwood dowel down from the muzzle end.
Boresnakes only have two uses.
1. Oiling a bore in an emergency situation.
2. Extracting money from mugs who don't know any better.

:lol: :lol: :lol: l agree with you SS but you really are a straightshooter aren't you :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 20 Aug 2020, 12:20 am

^^^ You are very diplomatic ...arent you lmao...
I usually shoot from the hip and ...
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Aug 2020, 9:16 am

How did you go Mick?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Aug 2020, 1:43 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How did you go Mick?

Yes :) Enquiring minds would like to know :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 21 Aug 2020, 10:42 pm

Well if that's the case straightshooter it should release easily by tapping it backwards in the direction it entered from using a piece of dowl. 357 to 410 it shouldn't have wedged too tight if it was the right snake .
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing