Barrel pitting

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Barrel pitting

Post by Bark » 23 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

von_klitzing wrote:The staff also mentioned (and this is for QLD) that they don't put the serial # of the rifle in the PTA applications for situations just like this... That way, you can simply swap the rifle for another without having to submit/wait for another PTA.

At the time of the PTA you don't have to do that in VIC either. Just calibre, action etc...

When you pick up the rifle though I was pretty sure everything - serial included - goes off immediately.

After you've taken the rifle home you still have a few days before the serial is committed do you?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 23 Mar 2014, 11:18 am

Great result in the end.

FYI my first rifle flat out refused to feed from the magazine. It stove piped rounds, failed to pick up rounds etc. the Sydney store took the rifle back and changed it to another rifle of my choice.

When I asked about the PTA I was told they could simply change the PTA to the new rifle within the first twelve months for a warrantee claim. No need for a new PTA

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Ade » 26 Mar 2014, 9:20 pm

Fair enough marktac. I just presumed they would do more for a serviceability certificate. Didn't really know.
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by FourFingersof Death » 26 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm

The gunshops get a lot of rifles through their hands and usually just eyeball them. Probably looked ok. At least he gave you a refund, which is good. I'd be keeping him.

Ruger had some corrosion with 'salt wood' stocks slipped in by shonky suppliers, but I think that was pre SS days.
FourFingersof Death
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ebr love » 27 Mar 2014, 10:55 am

For the 2 minutes it would take you'd think they'd at least take it out of the action, remove the bolt and take a look down the barrel.

For the dealers own benefit if nothing else. However much they spend buying this thing second hand they just flushed down the toilet. No one will buy that from them like that obviously...
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 05 Jun 2014, 9:32 pm

Ade wrote:That's another incident that's highlights the one good part of WA firearms laws.

The fact that you can't buy or transfer a firearm without a firearms serviceability certificate from a registered gunsmith.

The rest of WA's gun laws blow.

Mate I can yell you that serviceability certificate is not always what it's cracked up to be. And It doesnt have to be a smith that fills it out either. It's just a way to have all the particulars written down and using the business to do it, instead of themselves.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Jun 2014, 9:40 pm

I wonder if that rifle was the victim of flooding? certainly got some heavy rusting going on!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bourt » 06 Jun 2014, 1:32 pm

Looks like somebody went for a surf with it :?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 06 Jun 2014, 3:42 pm

Bourt wrote:Looks like somebody went for a surf with it :?

I have seen a few firearms kept on small commercial fishing boats and they can be in atrocious condition.

I remember one cray fisherman bemoaning the fact that his stainless winchester pump shotty had a steel firing pin which had rusted solid.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by riggee » 09 Jun 2014, 3:13 pm

What do they have a rifle on board for? In case a shark ends up on deck?
Remington 700 Milspec 5R .300 Win Mag
Mossberg 640 KD .22 WMR
riggee
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 10 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

riggee wrote:What do they have a rifle on board for? In case a shark ends up on deck?

Yep, also rogue seals (birdscare or cattle crackers), the odd roo on shore (some were cray fishermen).

And just because.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by huccl » 13 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

Man, you'd want your shot placement to be f***ing spot on shooting a shark on your deck wouldn't you? :lol:

I wonder if anyone's sunk a boat doing that...
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing