Wfa1l Muzzle Replacements

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Wfa1l Muzzle Replacements

Post by 30roundsisstandard » 30 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

G-Day guys,
Im fixing to put a new muzzle brake onto my wfa1l rifle however I am not sure what the best way to support the upper receiver in a vice would be. I know that for regular ar15s you can get vice blocks to support the upper however, the wfa1l is its own proprietary upper so that's not gonna work.

I had thought about wrapping the upper in a cloth and then placing the upper in the vice yet I am concerned about putting too much pressure on the trunnion and its hosing or warping my barrel if the birdcage flash hider is too tight. Any thoughts or am I being a bit over protective of my rifle.

Also would locktite be overkill on the thread since I may remove the new brake in the future. I'm thinking it might be.
Cheers.
30roundsisstandard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Wfa1l Muzzle Replacements

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2020, 9:13 pm

Does it take Stanag mags? You can buy a dummy mag that lets you put it in a vice.
Platatac do training mags but I don't know if they will actually fit into a real Stanag mag well.
https://www.platatac.com/brands/bluegun ... 13439.html

I've never done a muzzle device up to anywhere near enough to need a vice. Are you indexing it with a locknut?
Last edited by bladeracer on 01 Oct 2020, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 01 Oct 2020, 3:54 pm

If you work out how to get the flash hider off let me know. It's on so tight it feels like a gunsmiths job that one.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2020, 3:55 pm

MontyShooter wrote:If you work out how to get the flash hider off let me know. It's on so tight it feels like a gunsmiths job that one.

How long is the barrel? Maybe the muzzle device is pinned or welded in place?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 30roundsisstandard » 01 Oct 2020, 8:29 pm

bladeracer wrote:Does it take Stanag mags? You can buy a dummy mag that lets you put it in a vice.
Platatac do training mags but I don't know if they will actually fit into a real Stanag mag well.

I've never done a muzzle device up to anywhere near enough to need a vice. Are you indexing it with a locknut?

The Brake I got is actually Warwick's own brake https://warwickfirearms.com.au/shop/rec ... zle-brake/
Since its the same 360 degrees all round and has a jacket it does not have a top or bottom or place to be indexed too (if I understood that correctly). My understanding is if it looks like an ar15 barrel then the muzzles must go on the same way.

bladeracer wrote: How long is the barrel? Maybe the muzzle device is pinned or welded in place?

Mine is 14.5in. Im kinda going for that M4a1 Block ii look with the longer keymod rail and a b5 sopmod stock. Wondering if the birdcage may have locktite on it already kinda makes sense. I don't think its pinned then it wouldn't make sense to sell a brake for their rifles if you can't put the brake on in the first place :lol:

Like I said im more so concerned about warping the barrel or the trunnion / housing. Ill keep this forum open sombody's bound to know...
30roundsisstandard
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2020, 8:47 pm

30roundsisstandard wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Does it take Stanag mags? You can buy a dummy mag that lets you put it in a vice.

The Brake I got is actually Warwick's own brake https://warwickfirearms.com.au/shop/rec ... zle-brake/
Since its the same 360 degrees all round and has a jacket it does not have a top or bottom or place to be indexed too (if I understood that correctly). My understanding is if it looks like an ar15 barrel then the muzzles must go on the same way.

bladeracer wrote: How long is the barrel? Maybe the muzzle device is pinned or welded in place?

Mine is 14.5in. Im kinda going for that M4a1 Block ii look with the longer keymod rail and a b5 sopmod stock. Wondering if the birdcage may have locktite on it already kinda makes sense. I don't think its pinned then it wouldn't make sense to sell a brake for their rifles if you can't put the brake on in the first place :lol:

Like I said im more so concerned about warping the barrel or the trunnion / housing. Ill keep this forum open sombody's bound to know...

If it is red Loctite you need 260C to break the adhesive. Might be worth talking to Warwick for their advice.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Medb » 01 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm

I just clamped the upper to a bench with some cloth protecting it and put a bit of torque on the flash hider and it came off pretty easily. I wasn't as concerned about over torquing it and damaging the barrel as you appear to be though. That's how I change muzzle devices on all my rifles, I'm not going to buy some specific reaction rod/vice block for every rifle I want to swap out the muzzle device on.

Regarding loctite I use the low strength purple threadlocker on some of my muzzle devices, it depends whether they need to be indexed or not, and whether they came with or I have any appropriate sized shims/crush washers. If they don't need to be indexed yes I usually put a small amount of purple threadlocker on and just torque it slightly more than hand tight, that way it's easy remove if you want to change it out and still holds strong.

My only education regarding the area is just the standard youtube/online forum school of gunsmithing though, so I am by no means an authority on the subject.
Medb
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing