Importing a MDT ESS chassis

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Importing a MDT ESS chassis

Post by Jk20596 » 16 Oct 2020, 2:29 pm

Hey guys,

Has anyone here had experience importing a chassis from overseas? I'm considering grabbing a MDT ESS in the Black Friday sales.

Is it worth doing to save a couple of hundred or is it not worth the trouble?

Cheers.
Jk20596
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Importing a MDT ESS chassis

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Oct 2020, 5:23 pm

I doubt you’ll save money mate - you’d be up for import taxes(gst), customs fees if applicable, any permits that are needed, the actual payment platform (ie fees), Au dollar vs Canadian, postage costs, insurance costs, etc then the worry...
If you can find one locally - might be easier.

Note - personally I had a rather extensive issue with a MDT ESS. Be careful with what your mating it too - because of the way the interface is made, they do not work well with howa or weatherby rifles. I had to have mine sorted by a smith to centrally align - and to my dismay, MDT Canada knew about the issues with out advertising it.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 16 Oct 2020, 6:03 pm

Jk20596 wrote:Hey guys,

Has anyone here had experience importing a chassis from overseas? I'm considering grabbing a MDT ESS in the Black Friday sales.

Is it worth doing to save a couple of hundred or is it not worth the trouble?

Cheers.

I know people have imported them direct from Canada, but I don't know that you're likely to save anything once you add freight, GST, and our collapsed dollar.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 19 Oct 2020, 12:04 pm

I can't help re the importing.

But I love my ESS chassis, looks amazing and shoots brilliantly with my howa 1500.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 19 Oct 2020, 10:04 pm

Buy local, a month back I ordered a monopod for AICS chassis from USA shipped via USPS, tracking shows it left Hong Kong three weeks back and nothing since.
I suspect Aust Customs may have it and an anonymous ar$egnome within that organisation has decided it is verboten.

Pita is that later research revealed I could have obtained from BRT for near the same $$$.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing