Gun Smith Brisbane - muzzle Break

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Gun Smith Brisbane - muzzle Break

Post by Robin » 12 Nov 2020, 8:02 am

Hey all,

I brought a Howa 1500 .308 and it kicks like my wife when she's cranky at me , I was thinking of getting a muzzle break or a better recall pad, recall pads, I haven't been able to find any for this rifle, so I'm looking at the muzzle break side, my barrel isn't threaded so I can't just screw one on, does anyone know of a decent gun smith in Brisbane who can put on on for me.

Thanks
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Gun Smith Brisbane - muzzle Break

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Nov 2020, 9:26 am

Can't find a recoil, Robin?!
That's kind of odd but never mind, have you considered a Past Recoil Shield? Might be cheaper and quicker than a smith.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 12 Nov 2020, 9:36 am

Their is a good one at Tingalpa area roughly, but I just cannot remember his name.
Call Rebel Gunworks, they have his business cards in store, or did 12 months ago.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Nov 2020, 10:24 am

Hey robin, I might be guessing here, but does your howa 308 have a synthetic stock ?
It’s a more expensive fix , but a heavier laminate stock would tame the recoil as well. And be easily fitted with a one inch aftermarket recoil pad

Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Peter988 » 12 Nov 2020, 7:26 pm

I had good work done by Kingston Bros at West End.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Nov 2020, 7:41 pm

Robin wrote:Hey all,

I brought a Howa 1500 .308 and it kicks like my wife when she's cranky at me , I was thinking of getting a muzzle break or a better recall pad, recall pads, I haven't been able to find any for this rifle, so I'm looking at the muzzle break side, my barrel isn't threaded so I can't just screw one on, does anyone know of a decent gun smith in Brisbane who can put on on for me.

Thanks

To make a thread guide you want a 5/8"-24tpi bolt, turn it down to a .300" pilot leaving an inch of thread to guide the thread die nut. You will likely have to turn the muzzle down to be able to thread it though. The die-nut is quite expensive though so you're probably better off just having a machinist thread it for you. He can also make you a thread protector that matches the muzzle diameter. Doesn't have to be a gun smith.

Otherwise, you can buy clamp-on brakes that don't need threading.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Timboon » 12 Nov 2020, 11:30 pm

Got the same issue with my 308 winchester mod 70 but its got a sporter ruger SS barrel on it.

With a hard plastic pad on the stock currently i'll buy a recoil pad at a minimum, would a brake on it help very much?
Timboon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2020, 5:54 am

A brake tames the brutality of recoil but then u are left with the brutality of the brake
Last edited by Blr243 on 13 Nov 2020, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 13 Nov 2020, 7:13 am

Lee at Trentech will sort you out. He has skills and will have a good turn around time.
Trentech.com.au
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Nov 2020, 3:27 pm

Friend has a clamp on brake - press fit - works pretty well according to my lack of hearing...he reckons he can now remain on target after the shot.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Robin » 13 Nov 2020, 8:42 pm

I ended up getting a limb saver slip-on, hoping that will do the part, I just have a question about this, should I take the existing recoil pad off or just slip this over the top of it.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bello » 15 Dec 2020, 3:06 pm

Hi
I initially had a muzzle brake fitted to one of my 308's,so the kids could use it and wouldn't get kicked around too much.
I had a Terminator T3 fitted. The barrel was professionally threaded. A thread cap was also provided by the local gun shop's, gun smith.
The kids didn't shy away from using the rifle. I took it to the range and found that the muzzle break tamed the rifle to the extent that it was quite pleasant to shoot. I would almost say you could shoot it all day.
I had muzzle breaks fitted to one of my 300Win Mag's. It is a light carry rifle and the muzzle break made it a dream to shoot. I have a petite daughter who will shoot it no problems.
I recommend them for lager caliber rifles.
PROS:
Reduced recoil
Reduces the barrel jump, staying on target better
Pleasure to shoot
CONS:
Any one near you will HATE you, especially beside you. :crazy:
Some ranges will NOT let you use braked rifles.
I didn't see the need for a recoil pad now.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Dec 2020, 7:06 pm

I am not a fan of brakes but they have their place. I have one on a 378 WM which I shoot lying prone and it makes it easy to shoot but very unpleasant for anyone around me. I also have one on a 460 WM which makes it tolerable for me, I find the rifle unbraked at the limit of my recoil tolerance. I use a 7mm RM without a brake and find it just fine off the bench and a brake would spoil the rifle.

I would replace the recoil pad and add a bit of weight to your 308 before sticking a brake on it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing