Threaded hex screw on Lithgow trigger group

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Threaded hex screw on Lithgow trigger group

Post by keenstalking22 » 17 Nov 2020, 3:51 pm

Got a trigger spring to reduce my lithgows trigger pull, the instructions told me to use a 3mm hex wrench to remove the trigger group from the action which is all fine (also, who ever decided to coat this thing in wax deserves a temporary trip to hell) problem is the screw was so tight that the allen head slot gave way before I could get it out. Maybe my 3mm wrench was a little smaller from years of use I dont know... But anyways like an absolute idiot that wanted to finish this task before the weekend since I was heading out in the bush, I put a damn oversized Torx wrench in the hole, knocked it in till it was very tight and tried a spin AND... now the hole that once resembled a hex slot is now completely round.

So guys, any ideas on what now?
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (608.61 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (435.61 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (393.26 KiB) Viewed 1499 times
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: Threaded hex screw on Lithgow trigger group

Post by bladeracer » 17 Nov 2020, 3:57 pm

You got a left-handed drill bit you can try?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 17 Nov 2020, 4:05 pm

looks like a little bit of heat followed by some brake cleaner would be a good start to remover the the thread locker,
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by deye243 » 17 Nov 2020, 10:24 pm

So you did not remove the threadlocker that was the first thing I did on mine the blame is not lithgows it lies elsewhere
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by keenstalking22 » 18 Nov 2020, 1:22 am

deye243 wrote:So you did not remove the threadlocker that was the first thing I did on mine the blame is not lithgows it lies elsewhere

God dammit the paper said it was wax so I just scraped most of it off, if that stuffs actually threadlocker that makes sense.
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by straightshooter » 19 Nov 2020, 6:37 am

Chances are that you used a 3mm hex key in a 1/8" screw head.
That being the case it still might be possible to hammer in a 1/8" hex key and save the situation that way.
Failing that you can try to procure a suitably sized easyout or ez out. The size needs to be only just bigger than the hole and the best method is to hammer it into place and then screw out.
The hammering has the added benefit of breaking any thread locker and relieving screw tension, easing removal.
The final resort is to grind a screwdriver or a piece of toolsteel into a slightly parallelogram shaped tip with the sharp edges protruding in the unscrewing direction and hammer it into place before unscrewing.
Other methods may work but also carry the risk of undesirable side effects.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing