Replicating a CZ 527 FS stock, fior a CZ 527 Carbine

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Replicating a CZ 527 FS stock, fior a CZ 527 Carbine

Post by InisBineest » 21 Nov 2020, 7:27 pm

As it suggests in the title, can anyone recommend a stock maker who could replicate a CZ 527 FS stock, for a CZ 527 Carbine? Not after any flash high grade wood, just looking to replicate the look of the FS version on the Carbine rifle. Second to that is, has anyone done something like this before, i'm wondering what this sort of work costs? I have a bad feeling that it might be more than the value of the rifle itself!

carbine.jpg
carbine.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

Thanks in advance!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Replicating a CZ 527 FS stock, fior a CZ 527 Carbine

Post by Bill » 21 Nov 2020, 8:17 pm

with checkering and budget Walnut you will still be spending north of $1200, I'd be sending dealers an email requesting Pricing and availability.

Winchester OZ couldnt organize a root in a brothel
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 21 Nov 2020, 8:32 pm

I was afraid to hear that! But i suspect that might be the case:( I'm in touch with on stock maker who is looking to get a quote for me. I'll see if this is worth doing after that!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2020, 9:25 pm

Sell it. Buy the FS version. Cut it down. Reshape the factory stock. Splice the front sight back on, Bingo bang-go.
Last edited by in2anity on 22 Nov 2020, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 22 Nov 2020, 4:12 am

Contact trekin
He's a user of this forum. Made me a fantastic copy of an Anschutz 3P stock to use with a Stolle action. Nothing like $1200 !
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 22 Nov 2020, 7:13 am

if you were to replicate the 527 FS here is a rough guide of expected costs

$400 Checkering, thats the best quoted price I have found recently, many charge a lot more.
$80 quality recoil pad
$80-100 Steel nose cap from Winchester, not sure if they are still available, contact your local dealer and get current pricing.
$250-300 basic Walnut, better grade is usually around $400-500 plus, Fancy $1000 plus

and lastly the stock maker who will charge you for shaping, inletting, finishing and installation of the recoil pad and Steel nose cap....... anywhere from $400 to $1000

As with any thing try and get some photo's of their recent stock work with a quote. Good luck :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 23 Nov 2020, 6:32 am

Bill wrote:if you were to replicate the 527 FS here is a rough guide of expected costs

$400 Checkering, thats the best quoted price I have found recently, many charge a lot more.
$80 quality recoil pad
$80-100 Steel nose cap from Winchester, not sure if they are still available, contact your local dealer and get current pricing.
$250-300 basic Walnut, better grade is usually around $400-500 plus, Fancy $1000 plus

and lastly the stock maker who will charge you for shaping, inletting, finishing and installation of the recoil pad and Steel nose cap....... anywhere from $400 to $1000

As with any thing try and get some photo's of their recent stock work with a quote. Good luck :thumbsup:

Sounds about right. I'm in touch with a stock maker who is sending me a quote, but he sounded more or less in the ball park of what your saying. Thanks!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 23 Nov 2020, 11:12 am

I've just found a full length stock for sale, in theory, when shortened it should fit?
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 23 Nov 2020, 8:39 pm

It’d have to be pretty close. Remember it’s easy to “remove” material, not so easy to “add”, but you can always glass bed any voids. Just need to inlet. I’d reckon you could make it work, and would still present bloody sexy. I’d buy it if I were you. BTW I like your style - I’m a big carbine fan for practical reasons, yet I just love full wood. Keep us posted with your journey.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 24 Nov 2020, 5:52 am

in2anity wrote:It’d have to be pretty close. Remember it’s easy to “remove” material, not so easy to “add”, but you can always glass bed any voids. Just need to inlet. I’d reckon you could make it work, and would still present bloody sexy. I’d buy it if I were you. BTW I like your style - I’m a big carbine fan for practical reasons, yet I just love full wood. Keep us posted with your journey.

I'll see how I go, before I commit I need to complete the sale of my Sharps rifle. Then I get to work on this one, assuming I can get both the rifle and the stock!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Nov 2020, 7:29 am

Inis how much are they asking for the stock?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 24 Nov 2020, 8:16 am

in2anity wrote:Inis how much are they asking for the stock?

Haha, you're not in the market for one are you? :P
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Nov 2020, 8:37 am

InisBineest wrote:Haha, you're not in the market for one are you? :P

hahah - nah mate don't worry I won't overcut you. I have projects of my own in the pipe, which I need to deal with first. I might look into picking up one of these FS rifles in the years to come however. Cool gun, especially running a rear peep.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing