Take-Down Rifle Accuracy

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Take-Down Rifle Accuracy

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2020, 5:15 pm

In the "Centrefire Rifles" forum at the top of the page, there is a story about a take-down rifle. Not mentioning any names or makes so as not to hijack.

I would never have believed that a take-down, with the sight mounted on the receiver, could be so accurate. Groups look to be 1.5 moa. Would anyone like to explain how this comes about. For instance, the tolerances must be incredibly T i g h t. Or am I missing something?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Take-Down Rifle Accuracy

Post by bladeracer » 30 Nov 2020, 5:20 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:In the "Centrefire Rifles" forum at the top of the page, there is a story about a take-down rifle. Not mentioning any names or makes so as not to hijack.

I would never have believed that a take-down, with the sight mounted on the receiver, could be so accurate. Groups look to be 1.5 moa. Would anyone like to explain how this comes about. For instance, the tolerances must be incredibly T i g h t. Or am I missing something?

I don't think being a take-down necessarily reduces its potential, it depends on how it's done.
I think the BLR is likely the best lever-action to see those sorts of groups out of though, it's not like the old-school designs at all, more like a lever-operated bolt-action in my opinion. Not having to feed from a tube magazine also helps.

I haven't seen the BLR system to know how it comes apart, but interrupted threads lock up very securely on other designs.

Found a video that seems good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLDzCFrjm0
The bolt head locks into the barrel extension so I don't think you could ask for a more rigid and secure mating system.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 30 Nov 2020, 6:33 pm

Front locking lugs , theoretically should approach bolt gun accuracy , if free floated, and with a better trigger A lever operated bolt gun I call it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 30 Nov 2020, 6:44 pm

was going to say, the browning BLR's are awesome bits of kit, a good mate had a 243 and it was excellent for accuracy.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Nov 2020, 6:46 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:In the "Centrefire Rifles" forum at the top of the page, there is a story about a take-down rifle. Not mentioning any names or makes so as not to hijack.

My comment is off-topic, but just curious, does "Wm." Stand for Worshipful Master?
Member-Deleted

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2020, 8:15 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:

My comment is off-topic, but just curious, does "Wm." Stand for Worshipful Master?

Close but no Ceegar :)
To tell the truth, my late father was, coincidentally, a Worshipful Brother before he died in 1948.
And just in case anyone at all wanted to know, it is an abbreviation for William.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 30 Nov 2020, 8:54 pm

The bolt bolt head rotates and locks up the chamber. It “pulls” the two takedown parts together. That gives you tightness and stiffness a rear locker can only dream of. Bill they are still known to wander when hot - but you can bed them similar to how you did the 30/30, with RTV silicon. A bedding approach very similar to the savage 99.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Nov 2020, 9:28 pm

in2anity wrote:The bolt bolt head rotates and locks up the chamber. It “pulls” the two takedown parts together. That gives you tightness and stiffness a rear locker can only dream of. Bill they are still known to wander when hot - but you can bed them similar to how you did the 30/30, with RTV silicon. A bedding approach very similar to the savage 99.

I did not think of the parts being pulled together. That would tighten things up.
Coincidentally, my real name is William too and I am called Bill, of course :D My forum UN has nothing to do with my real name but comes from a crime fiction novel by an American author, where Wm. Traynor was the hero.
Complicated isn't it :lol:

But the main thing is that I now know why the BLR is so accurate :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Nov 2020, 11:06 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Close but no Ceegar :)
To tell the truth, my late father was, coincidentally, a Worshipful Brother before he died in 1948.
And just in case anyone at all wanted to know, it is an abbreviation for William.

Well there you go. I never knew people abbreviated it as such.
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Dec 2020, 7:39 am

I ended up buying a fix barrel air rifle because I couldn’t get a break barrel to be consistent - I struggle with the understanding of very consistent firings anytime the barrel is removed / replaced - to get 1.5 moa from such a rifle is impressive.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by in2anity » 01 Dec 2020, 2:30 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I ended up buying a fix barrel air rifle because I couldn’t get a break barrel to be consistent - I struggle with the understanding of very consistent firings anytime the barrel is removed / replaced - to get 1.5 moa from such a rifle is impressive.

1.5 moa isn't that surprising to me. If you think about the mechanics of it, the bolt head rotates and front locks up near the chamber - the cartridge can't really go anywhere. I reckon most inaccuracy would in fact stem from the tightly fitted forend and potentially the tightly fitted barrel band in the case of the takedown or lightweight. That and a potentially average barrel. With some changes to the bedding and some handload tuning, it'd go south of a minute, i'd guess. A match grade barrel would also help.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing