Dial Gauge Indicator

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Dial Gauge Indicator

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Dec 2020, 10:00 pm

I want to do some bedding jobs and have heard that a DGI is a handy thing, to show that the job is done accurately. Never used one though :oops: much less actually bought one. Any hints would be welcome as to brand and how they are used. I have heard that a magnet is necessary to attach something to the barrel :unknown:
Can someone put me straight please :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Dial Gauge Indicator

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Dec 2020, 1:38 am

Mitutoyo or Starrett are the only brands I would use, but I can't think why you would need one for bedding an action. By the way, they are called Dial Test Indicators or DTI for short, dial gauge is a common, but technically incorrect, term. They come in various types and lengths of stroke calibrated in Metric or Imperial, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 15 Dec 2020, 6:45 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:I want to do some bedding jobs and have heard that a DGI is a handy thing, to show that the job is done accurately. Never used one though :oops: much less actually bought one. Any hints would be welcome as to brand and how they are used. I have heard that a magnet is necessary to attach something to the barrel :unknown:
Can someone put me straight please :)

There had been a method floating about of "confirming" just how good a bedding job was by measuring the amount of vertical flexing in the action tang when the king screw is tightened or relaxed. The problem is that it is quite feasible to have a lousy bedding job but no flexing in the tang.
Rather than worry about measurement you would be far better served to educate yourself as to what are the characteristics and purposes of ideal bedding. I'll give you a hint, on firing the receiver won't move in any direction in relation to the stock.
By the way, don't pay too much regard to the technical vocabulary police. Knowing the right words is no substitute for knowing what you are doing and why you are doing it
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Skinna » 15 Dec 2020, 8:23 am

Seems a bitchy thing to say Straightshooter...not to mention ironic, given that you are often the one correcting others' incorrect terminology & belittling them for it. :)
Maybe thats why its bitchy, because No1 got in first. :unknown:

Correct terminology & know-how most often go together hand in hand...Learning new terminology often extends the curious ones knowledge base on any given subject...whilst also opening up the potential to learn more by giving you the means to better communicate with others better in the know...and as i read it, the OP is asking for, & im sure grateful for any input.

Im sure that if despite the fact i could hunt, you would choose to join the one who says he'll be hunting the goats with his lever action 30-30 Marlin, rather than join me who said im taking my big gun that shoots heaps of huge bullets that ya reload with the big stikky-out bar thing ya move back n forward that automatically slides the empty shell out & the next one in ...even if i was a far better hunter than Mr terminology. :|
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Farmerpete » 15 Dec 2020, 9:17 am

The hardest part of using a dial gauge/ dial test indicator (for me), is getting the right position,

they have a magnetic base and moveable arms to position the pin that goes in and out to measure, after its set up its as easy as watching the dial to see the difference, if you can read a digital vernia you can use one.
I've never bothered to bed an action so I can't help with how much use they'll be for that
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing