Finish on my Ruger 22/45

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Finish on my Ruger 22/45

Post by Zappa » 16 Dec 2020, 6:59 pm

While pulling my Ruger 22/45 apart , i dropped the barrel on concrete and scratched up the surface. I flattened the abrasions with some 1200, 1500 and 2000 grit but now I've remove the black color or blueing.

How would I touch it up and get it back to original finish ? I've heard about Birchwoods cold blue but have my reservations on longetivity and finish. :unknown:
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Finish on my Ruger 22/45

Post by deye243 » 16 Dec 2020, 8:00 pm

You're right to have reservations none of the cold bluing agents really work properly .
if it is a proper blued finish it needs a trip to the gunsmith with a hot bluing tank and getting it done properly if that's what you want
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 17 Dec 2020, 7:50 am

Birchwoods worked ok for me, I was only using it on a charging handle on my shotgun so it didn't really matter how crap it turned out because it wasn't visible.
I did notice that there was a little colour difference from the original bluing, using it on a barrel might be tricky as you'd have to blend it.
You could give it go and see if you like it it's a lot cheaper than a gunsmith and you can always go to them later
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Zappa » 17 Dec 2020, 3:41 pm

Farmerpete wrote:You could give it go and see if you like it it's a lot cheaper than a gunsmith and you can always go to them later

Might pick up a bottle of Super Blue when im next at my LGS and give it a go. It's only really for touch up but yeah, blending will be issue i reckon.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lcpltac » 18 Dec 2020, 1:03 am

Duracoat make Blue coatings. Matte, satin or gloss blue. I just finished an old Lithgow .22 with a Matte blue finish and it came up a treat
lcpltac
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Gunsmithing