Filing Reciever/Bolt opening

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Filing Reciever/Bolt opening

Post by Yes » 15 Jan 2021, 6:27 pm

Hey All,

Picked up my new T3X Hunter on the way home this afternoon... And looking over the gun I noticed a small nick on the reciever/bolt opening (and a mark on the bolt shroud).

The gun is literally a couple hours old, hasn't been fired, and taken from the box to bench.

As you can see it is quite tiny (it looks bigger in the pics I think), won't impact function, and I want to take it to my property tomorrow. So, rather than going back to the shop - any way to file it out?
Attachments
20210115_192053.jpg
20210115_192053.jpg (669.34 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
20210115_192109.jpg
20210115_192109.jpg (653.15 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Filing Reciever/Bolt opening

Post by snag » 15 Jan 2021, 7:56 pm

Up to you, of course, but if it were me I'd be taking it straight back to the dealer and demanding a replacement or some sort of compensation. You've paid for a new firearm and it should be in pristine condition. Would you accept delivery of a new car if it had a dint in the door?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yes » 15 Jan 2021, 8:44 pm

snag wrote:Up to you, of course, but if it were me I'd be taking it straight back to the dealer and demanding a replacement or some sort of compensation. You've paid for a new firearm and it should be in pristine condition. Would you accept delivery of a new car if it had a dint in the door?

Hey Snag, thanks for that. I see what you're saying - I would like a pristine rifle. It's one of those things though, I took the rifle after a cursory look over it in the store... And although I know I didn't ding it, the store could also claim that I did it after I got it home. I guess I'm in a rush to shoot it tomorrow and justifying that it's a small dint!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 16 Jan 2021, 2:17 am

Couple of passes with a fine cylindrical stone would probably relieve any high point.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cleger » 16 Jan 2021, 6:35 am

I've never handled one of those rifles. Is there any way the bolt handle can strike that spot as when assembling/inserting the bolt?

Is the shroud powder-coated, or cast? Either way, you can probably render that scuff mostly invisible, but I'd avoid working on the dent in the receiver. Looks like the metal was displaced into the bolt way.

Edited to add:

...in which case you might be able to get it looking a bit better with some VERY careful work with a proper punch.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 16 Jan 2021, 7:00 am

Yes wrote:
snag wrote:Up to you, of course, but if it were me I'd be taking it straight back to the dealer and demanding a replacement or some sort of compensation. You've paid for a new firearm and it should be in pristine condition. Would you accept delivery of a new car if it had a dint in the door?

Hey Snag, thanks for that. I see what you're saying - I would like a pristine rifle. It's one of those things though, I took the rifle after a cursory look over it in the store... And although I know I didn't ding it, the store could also claim that I did it after I got it home. I guess I'm in a rush to shoot it tomorrow and justifying that it's a small dint!

There are a number of ways of looking at this.
It's my understanding that people buy these Tikkas based on their reputedly oh so wonderful accuracy for a modestly priced rifle where one would not normally expect or demand cosmetic perfection.
But judging by the scuff marks on the bolt shroud this might be more than a simple cosmetic defect.
You are faced with the following dilemma, especially if accuracy does not live up to your expectations.
If you try to rectify it yourself then you will own the problem.
If you take it back then you are at the mercy of the vendor's attitude to warranty claims.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 16 Jan 2021, 7:34 am

I won't touch it,as others have said you work on the rifle no more warranty. Also tikka have a coating on the bolt and the receiver for rust etc protection.

I know you want yo go shooting.. do it and enjoy the rifle
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2021, 8:32 am

Its very minor IMO. But would take it back and see what transpires. Hopefully the LGS is agreeable.
If it turns into a sh1t fight just use it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 16 Jan 2021, 2:29 pm

Beretta are the agents for Tikka. It may pay to call them and ask to speak to someone in the workshop, not sales, (they a bit useless, from my own experience) and tell them what has happened and maybe go from there. I would not try to remedy it, but the way first. Hope it works out ok.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 17 Jan 2021, 6:44 am

Bretta do have their own gunsmith in their of
Workshop.... or atleast one that exclusively only does work for bretta.

So a good idea
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Yes » 17 Jan 2021, 8:36 am

Thanks for all the replies!
Definitely had cosmetic issues with my Tikka's before - but as mentioned, this is more damage than a cosmetic.

It could be that there was a little burr where the dint is and that was knocked off and marred the bolt shroud in the first loading of the bolt.

I ended up popping in to the store yesterday morning first thing - the guy I deal with has known me for years and is great with customer service. He sent the photos through to the Beretta rep to see what can be done. He said himself it's a brand new gun and shouldn't come from the factory like that.

Anyway, it was all 22LR and 410 Shotgun for me this weekend, I'll hold off shooting the Hunter till I hear back from Beretta - if they can do something, great, if not, I'll just shoot it and get a big scope to hide the imperfections!
Yes
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing