Ruger brake system for other brands?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Ruger brake system for other brands?

Post by Spooner » 02 Aug 2013, 2:31 pm

I'm interested in getting a brake fitted to my Savage 30-06. Really just putting it on to have a go with something new and see how I like it...

I know I can obviously have the muzzle threaded by a gunsmith then take the brake on or off, but that raises the concern of possible point of impact changes which I'd like to avoid, a well as protecting the thread.

I really like the idea of the Ruger Brake system...

ruger-brake-system.jpg
Ruger brake system
ruger-brake-system.jpg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

Instead of having the brake either on or off, you can cap the threat to protect it or screw on a sleeve which matches the brake. You don't get the recoil reduction but you don't affect the handling of the gun compared to when the brake was on either.

In my Googeling I can only find people selling 1 piece brakes, not sets like this.

Anyone know of a brake manufacturer that does such a thing?

Cheers.
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

Re: Ruger brake system for other brands?

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm

I've never seen an off the shelf system like that.

Surely a gunsmith who can thread your barrel for a brake could make this for you too though. Making a sleeve or cap would be exactly the same as making a break, except you just wouldn't drill the holes around the outside.

I suppose it would just cost you an hours labour + materials for the sleeve?
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Aster » 02 Aug 2013, 3:20 pm

I think'll you'll be looking at something custom too. It's a shame, I reckon there would be a market for these sets if someone starting making them.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Blackened » 05 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

Aster wrote:I think'll you'll be looking at something custom too. It's a shame, I reckon there would be a market for these sets if someone starting making them.

I'd take a look.

Would be happy to use it when I'm shooting by myself, and can take it off at the range to avoid pissing off the neighbours lol.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 05 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

Blackened wrote:Would be happy to use it when I'm shooting by myself, and can take it off at the range to avoid pissing off the neighbours lol.

I was at Eagle Park a few weeks ago when someone was doing 500m with a 338mag and brake. There guys surrounding him where shooting 22's, 223 and other small stuff.

No fuss when he was setting up, but they didn't look happy once he started shooting :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing