Restoring a modern Henry big boy 44mag

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Restoring a modern Henry big boy 44mag

Post by Troyus » 10 May 2021, 1:18 am

I am in the middle of purchasing a 44mag Henry big boy second hand from the local gunshop. Pictures are attached. I am a little worried about its condition and it looks like it has ben used a lot. I dont know if the shop checks them out or anything.

Anyway I will pull it apart and give it a good clean before I use it.
There are some cosmetic issues I can see that I want to address on the gun
* the butt plate is heavily scratched but I should be able to sand and polish brass OK
* The Bolt (pictured) has all the black scratched off of it - Any way to fix this?
* The end of the barrel looks like someone has been using it to lean on some bricks (no picture). It is scratched and rust has started. I could sand this but is there an easy way to re blue that part?
* Id rather the wood be a nice, red color. Anyway to make that happen?

Thank you

44 3 2.jpg
44 3 2.jpg (230.99 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
IMG_7977 2.jpg
Note bolt scratched
IMG_7977 2.jpg (677.56 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
IMG_7978 2.jpg
Note Butt plate scratchd
IMG_7978 2.jpg (443.49 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Restoring a modern Henry big boy 44mag

Post by straightshooter » 10 May 2021, 7:28 am

Sometimes attempts at restoration look worse than simple evidence of usage and wear.
By all means give it a good clean.
Also it's not a good idea to keep it cocked all the time when it is so easy to decock without the impact or noise of dry firing.
If you feel confident you can do it and you have access to appropriate tools then this is what I suggest.

* the butt plate is heavily scratched but I should be able to sand and polish brass OK
Use a scraper (not a file) to remove ridges until butt plate is level and then buff. Trying to fix any grooves will take a lot of effort and likely produce a poor result.

* The Bolt (pictured) has all the black scratched off of it - Any way to fix this?
Yes reblue the bolt and never operate the action again. This is a normal consequence of usage.

* The end of the barrel looks like someone has been using it to lean on some bricks (no picture). It is scratched and rust has started. I could sand this but is there an easy way to re blue that part?
Yes, touch up with some cold blue. It has rusted due to negligence in wiping down blued parts with a slightly oiled rag.

* Id rather the wood be a nice, red color. Anyway to make that happen?
Yes, scrape off the existing finish and sand. Apply the red stain you desire and then refinish.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 10 May 2021, 9:00 am

If you plan on using it I wouldn't bother re-blueing the bolt or lever.
The rash on the butt-plate can be easily remedied if you wanted to do that.
Clean up the end of the barrel with some steel wool and touch up with some cold blue as has been suggested.
A wipe down with an oil impregnated rag after use should be enough to maintain the exterior blued metal of the rifle.
Be careful trying to stain the wood work, it may not come out the colour you want, do a "test" on the timber under the butt plate.
Red stains tend to come out on the pink side.
A bit of honest "wear and tear" on a second hand rifle is to be expected and should not have any affect on the functionality of the rifle. :thumbsup:
Abuse on the other hand..... :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Troyus » 09 Jul 2021, 10:59 pm

Got my gun finally and it’s generally not as bad as I thought. However the butt plate looks to me like it’s copper underneath. I can see the colour copper and a little green where it’s tarnished. I didn’t see this coming. Is that normal/expected? Would I need the whole piece replated or something?
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 09 Jul 2021, 11:59 pm

Troyus wrote:However the butt plate looks to me like it’s copper underneath. I can see the colour copper and a little green where it’s tarnished.

Big boy buttplates are solid brass

It's most likely just been badly cleaned with an acid based cleaner which leaches the zinc out of the brass leaving copper which can turn pink. Both brass and copper turn green with tarnish.

Should come off with a good polish with brasso.

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by boingk » 10 Jul 2021, 1:39 am

Yep, quick Brasso polish on the buttplate and you're laughing. The rest I wouldn't worry about. There's something nice about a worn-in rifle, and you won't feel bad if you take it through the bush hunting either... nothing worse than a rarely and carefully used safe queen.

Enjoy!

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Troyus » 10 Jul 2021, 3:38 am

Thanks for that. I thought they were but this thing looks weird. Cheers
Troyus
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Jul 2021, 6:59 am

Troyus wrote:Thanks for that. I thought they were but this thing looks weird. Cheers

It sounds like you would be better off saving and buying a new rifle or a second hand one that’s in better condition.
I’ve been through the stage off being a collector, if you use rifles as their intended they will get wear.
A restoration would be nice, and is achievable, but my advice would be go shoot it first to see if it’s accurate, functions properly, and just whether it “gels” with you

Best of luck with it, cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 10 Jul 2021, 10:28 am

I don't see much wrong with it clean it and shoot it Henry is good about warranting there stuff
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Gunsmithing