Re-blueing

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re-blueing

Post by Rodfly » 06 Jun 2021, 10:14 pm

I've been given a Beretta 12g U/O that is badly in need of re-blueing. I live in Cowes, so looking for a good gunsmith, but don't seem to be anyone close to me. MIalls in Frankston, not a good reputation.
Sharp & Sons in Bairnsdale, good reputation, but 4hrs drive.
Couple around Bendigo Ballarat etc, also 3hr drive
Rodfly
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Re-blueing

Post by Bugman » 08 Jun 2021, 6:07 pm

Go for a drive if you can and get it done professionally
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 08 Jun 2021, 9:58 pm

Have you ever thought about diy watch a few videos on youtube and look at this kit maybe
https://www.caswellplating.com.au/store ... de-kit-bo1 they are in Vic too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Jun 2021, 10:36 pm

I've done a few different diy bluing and rust bluing jobs, lots of nasty chemicals that may attack every metallic object in your shed or garage if not done in an enclosure, especially rust bluing. Bluing paste is a bit easier but the finish isn't as durable, on top of that with all the methods I'd tried, it's extremely difficult to achieve a deep even blue like a factory finish, it seems to come down to surface preparation.

Personally, I don't know if I'd bother doing it again unless it was just for a hack gun.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rodfly » 13 Jun 2021, 9:12 pm

I have no ambitions to do it myself, this is a job for a professional.
Rodfly
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Jun 2021, 9:42 pm

I once lived in Melbourne and bought a new Diana 52 air rifle from one of the dealers you mention.
When it malfunctioned I returned it to Frankston for repair, waited a month and got it back missing parts.
I learned how to fix it with the assistance of the ' net and US friends, many Crow and Indian Mynah were subsequently slain.
I would never return to that dealer.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing