Sauer 100 Bolt Disassembly

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Sauer 100 Bolt Disassembly

Post by Trapper22 » 21 Jun 2021, 12:07 pm

I’ve got a Sauer 100 in 308 and I would like to have a look at the firing pin and spring, there’s nothing in the user manual. All I can see is a pin under the bolt handle, looks like the only way to disassemble the bolt is to drift out the pin and unscrew the bolt shroud assembly/firing pin.
Has anybody done this before or can point me in the right direction ?
PS My first post on the forum.

T22
Trapper22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Sauer 100 Bolt Disassembly

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Jun 2021, 4:06 pm

G'day Trapper22,
Don't try drifting that pin or you will be buying a new bolt! Hold bolt body in soft jaw vise with shroud in cocked position, depress pin with small punch or pin, rotate shroud off body, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 25 Jun 2021, 4:10 pm

No offense, but if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Trapper22 » 25 Jun 2021, 10:46 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Trapper22,
Don't try drifting that pin or you will be buying a new bolt! Hold bolt body in soft jaw vise with shroud in cocked position, depress pin with small punch or pin, rotate shroud off body, Cheers.

Thanks, I’ve had a couple of light firing pin strikes and I’d like to see if the firing pin and spring is gummed up with grease.
Trapper22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 26 Jun 2021, 7:59 am

One thing I forgot to ask. Is the rifle new? or If not, how many rounds have you fired through it?
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Trapper22 » 26 Jun 2021, 10:08 am

Bugman wrote:One thing I forgot to ask. Is the rifle new? or If not, how many rounds have you fired through it?

Fairly new, acquired 8 months ago, just running a thermal on it, about 40 factory rounds but it’s a hassle to get to the place of purchase for a warranty job, but might have to. I’ve got another Sauer 100 rifle, in 270 which I’ve never had a problem with.
Trapper22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Trapper22 » 26 Jun 2021, 10:19 am

Friend of mine kindly found this from another forum, thanks Mick. I’ll post it if that’s ok moderators?

https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40210
Trapper22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 26 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

mmm. Sounds suspicious. The vid was very informative. A friend has had similar problems with his 100. Will pass this info onto him. Hope you get it sorted.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Trapper22 » 16 Dec 2021, 8:07 am

Just an update, after a lot of searching at other pubs, I have successfully disassembled the bolt. Just a matter of turning the shroud to the decocked position, drifting out the pin and the firing pin assembly slides out(no threads) Reverse to assemble…easy as!
Trapper22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Dec 2021, 9:06 am

I just screenshot ed your last post so if I ever need to touch my sauer rifles I will know what to do , that is of course I can find the screenshot
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by northdude » 16 Dec 2021, 2:30 pm

Ive heard it will go back together 2 ways so make sure you took careful note on how everything was when you took it apart. Seen a few posts on this on other forums plus a gunsmith I know has had to sort a couole out..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Gunsmithing