Cerakote on a rifle bolt?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Cerakote on a rifle bolt?

Post by jwai86 » 31 Jan 2022, 4:56 pm

I recently enquired about a CZ 452 American being advertised on Used Guns. The metal parts on this rifle were refinished with graphite black Cerakote by a gunsmith, including the bolt. The seller said that the bolt had also been treated with Micro Slick. Could the Cerakote still come off the bolt from sliding it back and forth as you're working it?

As an aside, how worthwhile is it to get a Cerakote job done on your firearm if its current coating is not in dire need of repair, and you're not after some wild colour scheme?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Cerakote on a rifle bolt?

Post by on_one_wheel » 31 Jan 2022, 5:30 pm

G'day jawi86

It's not a problem on bolts, bolt lugs etc.

The Cerakote actually acts as a dry lubricant between moving parts. Applied correctly it's an extremely thin coating. It will eventually wear away but it won't chip off and jam things if that's what your worried about.

Personally I think Cerakote is great, I wouldn't hesitate having it done on a few other firearms eventually. My Rem .243 was coated possibly as long as 10 years ago and despite being used as a brush bar on the quad frequently the finish is holding up extremely well.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jwai86 » 07 Mar 2022, 9:02 pm

In case anybody is interested about the rifle that got the Cerakote job, it has been advertised on Used Guns since January this year. It was recently discounted from $850 to $799.

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/413987/

Here are some photos that I obtained from the seller a while ago.

jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2022, 2:42 am

Thata a pretty tasteful cerakote job. Just a simple black, such a practical surface coating.
One day I'll recoat mine in black instead of flat dark earth

I see the bike crowd (MX, road and cruisers) have discovered cerakote, all manner of parts are being coated and custom colours developed to match period correct colours... their blowing peoples minds with the quality finish Cerakote gives
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing