Walnut Scraps

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Walnut Scraps

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Feb 2022, 6:55 pm

I want to inlay a couple of pieces of walnut in to the butt of a rifle. I need some wood that can be checkered without chipping and assumed that American Walnut would be suitable. I can inlay OK but the wood at home on my scrap pile just will not take checkering. I suppose anything at all that would take checkering would do and it could be stained to match the surrounding area.
I have contacted a walnut supplier which does not do retail. A Stockmaker has not answered my query.
I thought you blokes might know of a source :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: Walnut Scraps

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2022, 7:51 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I want to inlay a couple of pieces of walnut in to the butt of a rifle. I need some wood that can be checkered without chipping and assumed that American Walnut would be suitable. I can inlay OK but the wood at home on my scrap pile just will not take checkering. I suppose anything at all that would take checkering would do and it could be stained to match the surrounding area.
I have contacted a walnut supplier which does not do retail. A Stockmaker has not answered my query.
I thought you blokes might know of a source :)

Ask your dealer if he has any rifles being handed in for destruction, something might have decent wood.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 05 Feb 2022, 7:36 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I want to inlay a couple of pieces of walnut in to the butt of a rifle.

Are you inlaying walnut timber to repair a stock?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Feb 2022, 10:10 am

jwai86 wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:I want to inlay a couple of pieces of walnut in to the butt of a rifle.

Are you inlaying walnut timber to repair a stock?

It's not a repair. I want to inlay the wood into the checkered part of the pistol grip and then checker the inlay. There are no cracks or damage.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Feb 2022, 7:18 am

A dealer near me is always dismantling rifles and selling off any useable parts.
As a result he always has heaps of old stocks.
Surely one near you would do the same.

Just cut what you need out of an old stock.

Failing that,, I've got a stock you can have off an old shotgun.
It has the pistol grip checkered, so the timber itself can't be too bad.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Feb 2022, 8:49 am

Die Judicii wrote:A dealer near me is always dismantling rifles and selling off any useable parts.
As a result he always has heaps of old stocks.
Surely one near you would do the same.

Just cut what you need out of an old stock.

Failing that,, I've got a stock you can have off an old shotgun.
It has the pistol grip checkered, so the timber itself can't be too bad.

Thank you Die Judicii :D
However, I have taken steps to deal with this by ordering some walnut veneer. Not cheap but this project has been on/off for two years, deferred for all sorts of reasons and I decided to bite the bullet.
Once again, thank you for your kind offer :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing