How much do you care about having a threaded barrel?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

How much do you care about having a threaded barrel?

Post by jwai86 » 20 Feb 2022, 3:02 pm

Given that suppressors are largely prohibited in Australia, and muzzle brakes or compensators are useful only for certain calibres and loadings (definitely not .22 LR), are you inclined to avoid paying extra for a threaded barrel on a new or used firearm, or would you go out of your way for the option anyway?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How much do you care about having a threaded barrel?

Post by bigpete » 20 Feb 2022, 3:07 pm

About 0.00000000000000000000001%
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 20 Feb 2022, 3:33 pm

Don't think I've ever come across threading as a factory option. But if it was, I'd definitely pick it. Threading can cost 250 or so down the track. Most of my guns are braked, and who knows, cans might come back once enough of us have permanent hearing damage and sue.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2022, 3:37 pm

jwai86 wrote:Given that suppressors are largely prohibited in Australia, and muzzle brakes or compensators are useful only for certain calibres and loadings (definitely not .22 LR), are you inclined to avoid paying extra for a threaded barrel on a new or used firearm, or would you go out of your way for the option anyway?

Most barrels are threaded, it's how they attach to the receiver.
Threaded muzzles are optional, and can be useful.
I prefer them, so if a rifle has the option of a threaded muzzle I'll take it, even if I never use it.

Brakes and other muzzle devices (including suppressors) function based on the amount and speed of the gas being forced through them, the more high-velocity gas, the more effect they can have. But you can mount clamp-on devices rather than have a muzzle threaded if you prefer not to.

I don't think I use brakes on anything for the purpose of reducing recoil, though I do want to try a 12ga brake. A brake for the M1891/30 Mosin would be worth trying as well.

I use them to protect the muzzle and crown from damage and debris, especially to mitigate the risk of dipping a muzzle in mud or clay. I have dozens of brakes and flash hiders that I can pop onto a rifle. I find them particularly useful when standing my rifles muzzle-down in the safes.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Feb 2022, 4:52 pm

BP summed it up perfectly.

0.00000000000000000000001% is also about our chances of ever being allowed to reduce our noise pollution and improve our health and safety by using noise suppressors.
We need to remember that if allowed, we'd all instantly turn into assassins, can't have that can we.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 20 Feb 2022, 4:55 pm

Sweeeeeet FA
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 20 Feb 2022, 5:24 pm

Suppressors are a benefit and theres no reasonable argument against their use for licenced shooters.
So i think we’ll be allowed to use them eventually for target shooting. Just common sense really.
But likely not for hunting, because farmers wont approve.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 20 Feb 2022, 9:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:Most barrels are threaded, it's how they attach to the receiver.
Threaded muzzles are optional, and can be useful.
I prefer them, so if a rifle has the option of a threaded muzzle I'll take it, even if I never use it.

I went 50/50 on 'threaded barrel' or 'threaded muzzle'. Guess I lost that one :P
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 21 Feb 2022, 5:50 am

Here's an interesting link https://ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.c ... uworks2011

If your not big on reading too much, the executive summary is worth the effort.

The benefits have been known for a long time. But the numpty politicians believe the fiction portrayed in the movies.

Have a look at what happens in New Zealand. Almost pariah status if a moderator/suppressor isn't used. Oddly, they don't seem to appear in crime statistics.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 21 Feb 2022, 10:52 am

Yea its pretty normal to have suppressors here. Dont think the crims care about suppressors when they are shooting at each other
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JimTom » 21 Feb 2022, 11:12 am

Couldn’t care less about a threaded barrel mate. I do have a few rifles with threaded barrels however that is by default, not an option that was after.
Unless you’re using a muzzle break, they’re kind of a useless option here in Aus considering we can’t use suppressors.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2022, 4:01 pm

womble wrote:But likely not for hunting, because farmers wont approve.

Absolute BS there Womble,,,,,,,,, at least in my experience.

I shoot regularly for eighteen different property owners for pigs, dogs, and feral cats.
And,,, each and every one of them all have the same opinion,, ie: if suppressors were available I'd be able to shoot far more pigs.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 21 Feb 2022, 4:53 pm

Just in vic thats the reason we were knocked back.
Farmers vetoed it. Don’t know the details.
Possibly to do with poaching, trespassing.
But professional shooters can have them here or sub contractors, vets can have them. Zoos can have them. Government employees.
But no recreational shooters.
From word of mouth we nearly got them, but the farmers relented.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Feb 2022, 5:03 pm

womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 21 Feb 2022, 5:09 pm

The bizarre thing is if we did’nt ask for them, they likely would have been made compulsory by now, given how anal they are about everything else when it comes to health and safety.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2022, 7:54 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
womble wrote:But likely not for hunting, because farmers wont approve.

Absolute BS there Womble,,,,,,,,, at least in my experience.

I shoot regularly for eighteen different property owners for pigs, dogs, and feral cats.
And,,, each and every one of them all have the same opinion,, ie: if suppressors were available I'd be able to shoot far more pigs.

Agreed, similar experiences this way, infact the report of my rifle has even caused issues with neighbours on 3 separate occasions on 2 different properties.
"Scared horses, b&b with earshot, mining security guards calling police because they've been "shot at""
We're talking big primary producing producing there too.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 21 Feb 2022, 9:05 pm

I used to shoot a big block that had a very busy mining lease on it with a couple of dozen workers and multiple dwellings ..the roo problem was often bad and there were shooters there all the time ...at night the place ( fenced mining compound) was lit up like Las Vegas possibly so they could operate but I’m guessing partially to keep them safe so everyone always knew where they were ..if I had to drive past the gate to get to the back part of the block I used to stop shooting at least a kilometre away from them to avoid making them nervous ....I would personally hate to be working anywhere near guns going off .... theminers never met the shooters , and had no idea how safe or how useless they were , they just had to work and hope for the best.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Feb 2022, 9:25 pm

womble wrote:The bizarre thing is if we did’nt ask for them, they likely would have been made compulsory by now, given how anal they are about everything else when it comes to health and safety.

It seems easier to shut down rifle clubs and campaign against new ones opening up.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Feb 2022, 9:37 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
womble wrote:The bizarre thing is if we did’nt ask for them, they likely would have been made compulsory by now, given how anal they are about everything else when it comes to health and safety.

It seems easier to shut down rifle clubs and campaign against new ones opening up.

Sh!t Mate,,,,,,,,,, that would have to be the Pollies version of "common sense".

:allegedly:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by womble » 22 Feb 2022, 2:40 am

My understanding is pro shooters that use them, in states where they can, are are granted permits because they’re running a business.
Far more efficient to cull will suppressors. It’s just a cost factor.
Costs more to operate without them. Clients wear that cost.
You have to be competitive in any business. If it was my business I’d be taking it to the courts.

Recreationally i dont see us getting them in vic ever. Hunting on shared public land.
But cat c for farmers controlling pests is a fair reason.
Arguably so are rifle ranges. Butt ssaa would have to grow a pair.

It’s just about exercising good reasoning. Unfortunately we have to debate it with unreasonable people in vic. The type that consider farmers a threat to cafeterias in Tasmania. Which is entirely unreasonable, as theres no evidence of such.
So inevitably i see reason winning out.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 22 Feb 2022, 8:51 am

Id happily have a threaded barrel on a range rifle/ stainless synthetic. Tikka 22lr had a thread and my CZ550 had been threaded for a muzzle brake.

Muzzle brakes and barrel tuners work better with a thread , dont think Govco/Police will ever let normal folk have nasty noise suppressors. We can t be trusted ...
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Feb 2022, 10:41 am

Suppressors should be treated as firearms,,,, ie: Have a serial number, and be registered to the owner.
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 22 Feb 2022, 10:52 am

Die Judicii wrote:Suppressors should be treated as firearms,,,, ie: Have a serial number, and be registered to the owner.

Perhaps you'd care to share your reasoning with the forum.
Was going to say "which effing planet did you fall off", but maybe you've got a valid reason.
Care to share it?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2022, 11:00 am

Die Judicii wrote:Suppressors should be treated as firearms,,,, ie: Have a serial number, and be registered to the owner.

Waste of time, registration never solves any crimes.
No reason suppressors can't be sold and used like they used to, over the counter.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 22 Feb 2022, 2:42 pm

For crims the suppressors can be an advantage there was a drive by shooting a few years ago and it went unnoticed due to the low noise of the event. That will keep them off the shelves right there.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 22 Feb 2022, 2:45 pm

Larry wrote:For crims the suppressors can be an advantage there was a drive by shooting a few years ago and it went unnoticed due to the low noise of the event. That will keep them off the shelves right there.

Did they use a lawfully purchased suppressor? If they didn't there is absolutely no reason you and I shouldn't be allowed to own them for lawful purpose. People use kitchen knives to kill more people than they use suppressors, and yet I can still buy as many kitchen knives as I want...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 22 Feb 2022, 4:43 pm

If you do the relevant paperwork and jump through the hoops and get one thats exactly what happens....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Gunsmithing