Remlin has been drilled and tapped crooked

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Remlin has been drilled and tapped crooked

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2022, 3:21 pm

I tried to put a Pic rail on my Marlin 1894 (Remington) so as to mount a scope for some upcoming load development, only to discover that the front two holes are not drilled in the correct place. I was unable to even attempt to screw the front two screws in it was that far out. Anyone else experienced this with their Remlin.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Remlin has been drilled and tapped crooked

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2022, 3:24 pm

Wow, that's the pits. Good gun Smith can fix. But will cost.

Umm, can you mount a peep sight?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2022, 3:25 pm

Not the best picture, however this is the view looking down through the rail. The rear two screw have been lightly torqued, which makes the rail straight however the front two screws cannot be used due to the slack craftsmanship (I use that term very lightly).
Attachments
187E4A7E-0FE6-4F4C-AC49-30EDBE5ADBFC.jpeg
187E4A7E-0FE6-4F4C-AC49-30EDBE5ADBFC.jpeg (608.85 KiB) Viewed 3998 times
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2022, 3:28 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Wow, that's the pits. Good gun Smith can fix. But will cost.

My thoughts exactly mate. Rear mounting holes are good, only the front ones dodgey which of course precludes the use of a scope. Was only going to use the scope for load development anyhow. Red dot would work, however I am inclined to either use the standard iron sights as it was intended or a skinner peep sight perhaps.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2022, 3:37 pm

Can u modify th pic rail holes with a small metalworking reammer in a drilll ? I would not try to repair the tapped holes In The receiver
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 23 Feb 2022, 3:42 pm

I found something similar on my Rem 700 in that case it was not just the holes but the top of the action was not symmetrical.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2022, 3:43 pm

Blr243 wrote:Can u modify th pic rail holes with a small metalworking reammer in a drilll ? I would not try to repair the tapped holes In The receiver

Definitely a better option than piss farting about with the rifle I’d reckon mate. I shall give it some thought.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by niteowl » 23 Feb 2022, 4:11 pm

That is probably one of the better ones. I have seen worse. Most were returned from Australia a long time back as unacceptable crap.
niteowl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2022, 4:46 pm

JimTom wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Can u modify th pic rail holes with a small metalworking reammer in a drilll ? I would not try to repair the tapped holes In The receiver

Definitely a better option than piss farting about with the rifle I’d reckon mate. I shall give it some thought.

Top idea . Needle file should do it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2022, 5:13 pm

JimTom wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Wow, that's the pits. Good gun Smith can fix. But will cost.

My thoughts exactly mate. Rear mounting holes are good, only the front ones dodgy which of course precludes the use of a scope. Was only going to use the scope for load development anyhow. Red dot would work, however I am inclined to either use the standard iron sights as it was intended or a skinner peep sight perhaps.

You could get a $10 rail off Ebay and drill your own holes to suit. You'll need extra screws that you can put a point on, put them in just proud of the surface and use those to transfer the holes onto a new rail. If any holes are blind make sure threads are clean or you'll struggle to get the pointed screws back out.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Feb 2022, 7:25 pm

wow . very poor of remlin . it's a fact that all manufactured products have the potential to have defects . buts it's very disappointing when it happens to you . sure the holes can be needle filed out to suit , but maybe get a smith to drill and pin the rail so it's truly straight and you don't use up a lot of windage adjustment in the scope if the modifired screw holes pull it of centre . by pinning it, i mean drilling a hole through the mount and shallow into the receiver and having a short locating dowel permanantly in the top of the receiver to locate the rail . like a engine block dowel to locate a cylinder head . just a thought :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2022, 8:20 pm

Larry wrote:I found something similar on my Rem 700 in that case it was not just the holes but the top of the action was not symmetrical.

Characteristic of Remington production at the time perhaps mate?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Feb 2022, 8:21 pm

Thank you gents for the input. A few good suggestions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2022, 8:37 pm

Once or twice , when the objective bell of a scope has come too close to the upper forward edge of a pic rail I have been known to reach for my angle grinder from the back of my Ute ......did any of u just sigh?....sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Larry » 23 Feb 2022, 8:41 pm

Blr243 wrote:Once or twice , when the objective bell of a scope has come too close to the upper forward edge of a pic rail I have been known to reach for my angle grinder from the back of my Ute ......did any of u just sigh?....sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do

Yes I have taken to a rail to take a few sections off it to make a scope fit. Easier to get a long one and cut it down never managed to get one to grow if it were too short. :D
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2022, 9:35 pm

Blr243 wrote:Once or twice , when the objective bell of a scope has come too close to the upper forward edge of a pic rail I have been known to reach for my angle grinder from the back of my Ute ......did any of u just sigh?....sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do

Yep, I've filed various modifications into my rails and mounts to fit various situations.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 24 Feb 2022, 6:50 am

JimTom wrote:I tried to put a Pic rail on my Marlin 1894 (Remington) so as to mount a scope for some upcoming load development, only to discover that the front two holes are not drilled in the correct place. I was unable to even attempt to screw the front two screws in it was that far out. Anyone else experienced this with their Remlin.

You are assuming the rail is correctly drilled and there is something wrong with the Marlin.
Have you considered the opposing alternative possibility?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2022, 8:03 am

straightshooter wrote:You are assuming the rail is correctly drilled and there is something wrong with the Marlin.
Have you considered the opposing alternative possibility?

Yes mate, definitely considered it. Believe me I tried to make the bases and rails etc the problem, not the rifle, however there is no denying it’s definitely the rifle.
With the rail only secured by rear screws, it is straight and scope sits dead centre of the barrel. When I tried two piece bases scope won’t sit flush in the front scope mount as front base is crooked. Scope is crooked on rifle also.
I have also measured it 1000 times and front holes definitely drilled incorrectly.
It’s a pity as it shoots, loads, feeds, cycles beautifully, and looks an absolute treat.
I will just use it with open / peep sights as it’s intended I think.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2022, 8:46 am

Have been searching for a peep sight for the a above-mentioned and the Skinner peep sights seem to use all four holes for mounting which obviously won’t work for this rifle.
Anyone have or know a rear peep sight that just mounts on the rears two holes?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 24 Feb 2022, 11:24 am

Have you looked at a Williams, they use the two holes on the side of the action.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2022, 12:05 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Have you looked at a Williams, they use the two holes on the side of the action.

Funny you should say that mate, I was literally just looking at them.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 24 Feb 2022, 1:09 pm

Maybe this:
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... rod43.aspx

XS SIGHT SYSTEMS - MARLIN 1894 REAR SIGHT
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2022, 1:50 pm

N.Field wrote:Maybe this:

Not listed locally but email and ask them to list the sight so you can order it through Brownells.com.au

It's compact but I prefer the Williams for $35 more.
https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=31202&search=FP-94%2F36+FOOLPROOF&manu_id=1539

You will likely need a taller front sight when you put an aperture on.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2022, 3:22 pm

Legend, thank you Sir. Exactly what I was looking for.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Not listed locally but email and ask them to list the sight so you can order it through Brownells.com.au

https://www.brownells.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=31202&search=FP-94%2F36+FOOLPROOF&manu_id=1539

Thanks mate, although probably a superior sight, I am not a huge fan of the side mount purely for aesthetic reasons. Bloody stupid I know.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm

JimTom wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks mate, although probably a superior sight, I am not a huge fan of the side mount purely for aesthetic reasons. Bloody stupid I know.

I get that :-)
I'd like something similar to that to put on milsurps, but very few rifles have original holes anywhere useful for mounting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 24 Feb 2022, 6:48 pm

JimTom wrote:I tried to put a Pic rail on my Marlin 1894 (Remington) so as to mount a scope for some upcoming load development, only to discover that the front two holes are not drilled in the correct place. I was unable to even attempt to screw the front two screws in it was that far out. Anyone else experienced this with their Remlin.

Id take that back and ask for another one, life is too short to accept quality like that :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 24 Feb 2022, 7:19 pm

Bill wrote:

Id take that back and ask for another one, life is too short to accept quality like that :thumbsup:

Private sale unfortunately mate, otherwise I would be. I went over that rifle with a fine toothed comb prior to purchasing. It shoots, feeds, cycles like an absolute champion. Wasn’t until I tried to put the rail on that I picked up the terrible craftsmanship.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by N.Field » 24 Feb 2022, 7:28 pm

JimTom wrote:

Legend, thank you Sir. Exactly what I was looking for.

Happy to be able to help. I had an XS on a Win 94AE. At that time you could also get a threaded aperture that would take Williams sight inserts. I don't know if they're still available
N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Shootermick » 24 Feb 2022, 8:17 pm

JimTom wrote:Have been searching for a peep sight for the a above-mentioned and the Skinner peep sights seem to use all four holes for mounting which obviously won’t work for this rifle.
Anyone have or know a rear peep sight that just mounts on the rears two holes?

I’ve got a Skinner on my BLR 308, but if the holes are off obviously it wouldn’t work for you. I’ve also got a dovetail Skinner on a Ruger 22 bolt action. I know you’ll end up with a shorter sight radius, but it might be an option all the same.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Next

Return to Gunsmithing