Gunsmith Refurbishment

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Gunsmith Refurbishment

Post by 9.3x64 » 08 Mar 2022, 6:38 am

Who would be the best gunsmith in the country to refurbish an old commercial Mauser. It has been previously refurbished, but I am looking for a skilled smith who could fill some fine pitting in several places and do a quality blue on the whole rifle. Not looking for a cheap job, looking for a smith that would have the patience and skill to do the job to a high level.
Any state is fine.

Thanks
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Gunsmith Refurbishment

Post by Bugman » 08 Mar 2022, 6:59 am

The only smith I know who handles rifles like the good old 303 and similar, is Shepherd Arms in Berkley Vale in NSW
Email: contact@shepherdarms.com.au or 0403064345. He did a job for a mate of mine and the results were excellent. I think he is still going.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Mar 2022, 9:32 am

Kudu Services, Montrose, Vic. He usually has a fair waiting time due to constant high demand for his work, and his health has caused some delays but he is still the finest example of a custom hunting rifle maker I know. There are several makers/restorers who do not advertise, working only by word of mouth. If you have friend or contact who is a SSAA Big Game Club member they might put you on to a couple of these gunsmiths who restore their classic Mausers, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 08 Mar 2022, 9:54 am

Thanks guys, very much appreciated.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 08 Mar 2022, 7:59 pm

This bloke is in Toowoomba. Fella at the gun shop told me he is the best gunsmith he has ever seen. Says he can do ANYTHING. My BLR needed attention and another gunsmith did not fix it, but this bloke did. Worth a phone call anyway.

https://sablerifles.com/
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 08 Mar 2022, 8:06 pm

GQshayne wrote:This bloke is in Toowoomba. Fella at the gun shop told me he is the best gunsmith he has ever seen. Says he can do ANYTHING. My BLR needed attention and another gunsmith did not fix it, but this bloke did. Worth a phone call anyway.

Geez, that’s handy to know.. :drinks:
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 09 Mar 2022, 11:12 am

GQshayne wrote:This bloke is in Toowoomba. Fella at the gun shop told me he is the best gunsmith he has ever seen. Says he can do ANYTHING. My BLR needed attention and another gunsmith did not fix it, but this bloke did. Worth a phone call anyway.

Asking my mate in Brisbane about this subject and he too had used this fellow in Toowoomba and was happy with the result.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 09 Mar 2022, 7:59 pm

Fella at the gun shop I spoke to said this bloke at Sable has previously worked for the Sth African military as an armourer or something similar, and has the skill to build a firearm from scratch. Holds him in very high regard.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing