Comparing methods of modifying the trigger pull of a rifle

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Comparing methods of modifying the trigger pull of a rifle

Post by jwai86 » 03 Apr 2022, 9:25 am

I've noticed that are a few ways to modify the trigger pull of a rifle, although they vary in cost and complexity. For my purposes, I would most likely be looking at modifying the trigger on a CZ rimfire rifle.

The cheapest way to do it is with spring kits from folks like YoDave, MCarbo or Gunbloke. You could also replace the entire trigger mechanism with something like a Timney trigger unit if one exists for your model. Finally, you could get a gunsmith to work on the trigger.

Are there pros and cons to each method beyond cost?
Last edited by jwai86 on 08 Apr 2022, 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Comparing methods of modifying the trigger pull of a rif

Post by deanp100 » 03 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm

Using a trigger kit on the cz’s is probably the easiest , best trigger job I have done, or had done. Mine turned out brilliant in a few minutes for about $13.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 03 Apr 2022, 8:50 pm

deanp100 wrote:Using a trigger kit on the cz’s is probably the easiest , best trigger job I have done, or had done. Mine turned out brilliant in a few minutes for about $13.

Which one did you use?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Apr 2022, 9:33 pm

I used a YoDave trigger kit on my CZ
It completely transformed the trigger, Its literally as close to perfect as can be for what us an extremely agricultural trigger design.

Paying the extra on a quality and fully adjustable Timney would definitely make it super crisp to squeeze and 100% adjustable.

If money is no object, don't hesitate on a Timney,
if money is tight I doubt you'd be disappointed with the YoDave kit provided you take the time to do it properly :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jwai86 » 04 Apr 2022, 2:59 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I used a YoDave trigger kit on my CZ
It completely transformed the trigger, Its literally as close to perfect as can be for what us an extremely agricultural trigger design.

Paying the extra on a quality and fully adjustable Timney would definitely make it super crisp to squeeze and 100% adjustable.

If money is no object, don't hesitate on a Timney,
if money is tight I doubt you'd be disappointed with the YoDave kit provided you take the time to do it properly :thumbsup:

Where in Australia can the YoDave springs be purchased?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Apr 2022, 3:28 pm

Not sure.. I think I bought mine on ebay years ago, or perhaps directly from his website?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2022, 3:30 pm

Try google. I found one lot in Nambour QLD.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 04 Apr 2022, 7:37 pm

jwai86 wrote:
deanp100 wrote:Using a trigger kit on the cz’s is probably the easiest , best trigger job I have done, or had done. Mine turned out brilliant in a few minutes for about $13.

Which one did you use?

I used the Lowey kit bought direct from Lowey. They were lovely people with great local service. They send a variety of springs and shims. I went with the middle strength spring and no shim and it turned out nicely. With the smallest shim it failed the closing bolt test.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 05 Apr 2022, 7:50 am

I can also recommend Lowey Products. Excellent people to deal with in my experience.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing