12g to 410 sleeve

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

12g to 410 sleeve

Post by noneyabussiness » 08 Apr 2022, 6:13 pm

just wondering if these are legal here, and if so, does anyone know where i could get one??

teaching my son with the 12 gauge, already using " reduced load " cartridges, but are hard to come by here... TIA
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: 12g to 410 sleeve

Post by dnedative » 08 Apr 2022, 6:27 pm

https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/ ... ter-410ga/

Legal
Only issue would be using a centerfire adapter if you only had a A license.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2022, 6:50 pm

noneyabussiness wrote:just wondering if these are legal here, and if so, does anyone know where i could get one??

teaching my son with the 12 gauge, already using " reduced load " cartridges, but are hard to come by here... TIA

In Qld it's most likely considered a barrel and will need a PtA and serial number.
I haven't found sleeve tubes in Oz but would love to know if they're available.

I use the Chiappa rifled chamber adaptors, but if you're only going to use it for shot you'd want smoothbore. Probably a good starting place to make a full-length tube though, bore the rifling out and thread the end to take a length of .410" tube, or cut down a .410 barrel for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 08 Apr 2022, 7:06 pm

Chiappa ones are 8" long, I'm not sure they will pattern fantastic but for a kid learning the basics I'm sure it should suffice.
Otherwise buy one of those $280 Addler 410 break action guns I guess?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by noneyabussiness » 09 Apr 2022, 3:37 am

bladeracer wrote:
noneyabussiness wrote:just wondering if these are legal here, and if so, does anyone know where i could get one??

In Qld it's most likely considered a barrel and will need a PtA and serial number.

I use the Chiappa rifled chamber adaptors, but if you're only going to use it for shot you'd want smoothbore. Probably a good starting place to make a full-length tube though, bore the rifling out and thread the end to take a length of .410" tube, or cut down a .410 barrel for it.

thank you for the replys so far... just opens up another question, I have a adler, with a 28" barrel, would I need to let WLB know if I brought a 20" barrel for it , even though its effectively the same firearm with a factory fit 2nd shorter barrel??
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2022, 8:15 am

noneyabussiness wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

thank you for the replys so far... just opens up another question, I have a adler, with a 28" barrel, would I need to let WLB know if I brought a 20" barrel for it , even though its effectively the same firearm with a factory fit 2nd shorter barrel??

My understanding is yes in Qld, and I think NSW might be the same.
In Victoria a barrel is not regulated but when I order barrels, or chamber adaptors, from Qld they will only send them to my dealer as they require a PtA in Qld for the chamber adaptors.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2022, 9:30 am

Buying a cheap .410 gun would be the better way to go in my opinion.
But .410 is very ineffective in most situations I can imagine for learning to use a shotgun.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 09 Apr 2022, 3:18 pm

noneyabussiness wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

You do not need a pta for an extra barrel in qld.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 10 Apr 2022, 11:52 am

Wouldn't believe anything they said to be honest.
Don't need a PTA for a barrel in NSW although if its chambered and threaded it has to be sent to a dealer, they will sight your license and off you go. If its a blank or its short chambered you can have it mailed direct, its a metal pipe. From memory, technically you can buy an action without a PTA along with a barrel, you only need the PTA when you fit the barrel to the action.

Supposed to notify registry if and when you change barrels out (given they dont require any serial number on them I have no idea why and suspect nobody does it, they wouldn't know what was the original one) and if you have more than one for a firearm they are supposed to be registered to the firearm and require serial numbers. In reality this doesn't happen unless they come with the gun when you buy it. There would be thousands of people out there with quick change barrels bought after the fact as spare parts (or sold off from guns they are registered to) which as far as I can tell is perfectly fine to own but probably breaks some law when fitted.

General clusterfuck and its pointless legislation anyway, serves zero purpose aside from updating the cambering if you wanted to.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 10 Apr 2022, 6:00 pm

From the Queensland Weapons Act, Section 50A, Possession of Unregistered Firearms.

(1) A licensee must not possess an unregistered firearm.
Maximum penalty—120 penalty units.
(2) A licensed dealer or licensed armourer does not contravene
subsection (1) if the unregistered firearm is entered in the
dealer’s or armourer’s weapons register under section 71.
(3) In this section—
firearm does not include a barrel, breechbolt or top slide of a
firearm.
unregistered firearm means a firearm for which information
is not entered in the firearms register.

Then, if you go to the last pages of the Act, the included Dictionary has this gem: -

firearm means—
(d) a major component part of a firearm;

ipso facto, a barrel is not a major component of a firearm.

Make

This was from a previous post a few years ago about the same topic.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing