Browning BLR action disassembly.

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Browning BLR action disassembly.

Post by GQshayne » 22 Jan 2024, 7:37 pm

The BLR has a lot of fans, but it is not a bolt action, so must be treated a bit differently. This is why case prep is so important, as it does not have the ability to tolerate varying case sizes etc etc. My old Tikka will fire anything I can put in it, but I am much more careful now.

Most of my lessons on what the BLR needs have been discovered from my dads MLR. It needs things to be right to work well, so we have been very particular with the handloads for it. Like the Mod 81 that you have, the MLR was made by Miroku in Japan. My BLR was made by FN in Belgium, and you can see small differences in the production when you compare them. My BLR had no issues with using old pre-used brass, but dads MLR does not like it. Production differences I guess, and one reason why the FN is well regarded.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by drone » 22 Jan 2024, 10:51 pm

Bladeracer, how much of that reputation started stateside?
Here's a quote from sierra's blurb :-
"While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts."

As I mentioned it isn't in compliance with the CoP.. Animals deserve better than maybe.
drone
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jan 2024, 11:44 pm

drone wrote:Bladeracer, how much of that reputation started stateside?
Here's a quote from sierra's blurb :-
"While they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are not recommended for most hunting applications. Although MatchKing® and Tipped MatchKing® bullets are commonly used for varmint hunting, their design will not provide the same reliable explosive expansion at equivalent velocities in varmints compared to their lightly jacketed Hornet, Blitz or Varminter counterparts."

As I mentioned it isn't in compliance with the CoP.. Animals deserve better than maybe.

The manufacturer says that because they want you to buy their bullets that they put resources into designing specifically for hunting. What matters is whether the bullet _actually_ performs well or not, in the real world. A very well known NZ deer hunter has used the ELDM for years with great success.

People around the world use "match" bullets very successfully for hunting. It's only an animal welfare issue if they don't kill cleanly, which the Matchking and ELDM are known to do very well. The Matchking is also the NATO military sniper bullet in the M118 long-range sniper ammunition.

If your CoP specifies that the bullet must be designed by the manufacturer specifically for hunting then the Matchking wouldn't comply, but don't confuse it with a lack of performance on live targets.

I'm guessing you also can't use FMJ bullets which are used by hunters around the world as well?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 23 Jan 2024, 4:21 am

bladeracer wrote:The manufacturer says that because they want you to buy their bullets that they put resources into designing specifically for hunting. What matters is whether the bullet _actually_ performs well or not, in the real world. A very well known NZ deer hunter has used the ELDM for years with great success.

Very well known !?
A name, perhaps?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2024, 8:32 am

No1_49er wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The manufacturer says that because they want you to buy their bullets that they put resources into designing specifically for hunting. What matters is whether the bullet _actually_ performs well or not, in the real world. A very well known NZ deer hunter has used the ELDM for years with great success.

Very well known !?
A name, perhaps?

Nathan Foster. But if you Google deer hunting with match bullets you should find plenty of people that use them without issues. Years ago the myth was that match bullets were no good as they behaved like FMJ on flesh, which has always been wrong. It's the opposite, they aren't designed to hold together at impact, so they tend to come apart more easily thus do an excellent job making a mess in the boiler room. But it's a good idea to avoid the big bones as they can blow the bullet up so it doesn't penetrate deeply enough, which can happen with any bullet.

Personally I prefer not to rely on bullet performance and aim where I know it will do the most immediate lethal damage, regardless of bullet design.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by drone » 23 Jan 2024, 11:19 pm

TBH I'd rather not trust my rifle permit to the legends of the internet and go with something that is designed for purpose.
drone
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by bigrich » 24 Jan 2024, 7:28 am

after seeing the disassembly of a BLR i think i'll stick with bolt guns thanks :D hey , horses for coarses but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Jan 2024, 10:45 am

bladeracer wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

Very well known !?
A name, perhaps?

Nathan Foster. But if you Google deer hunting with match bullets you should find plenty of people that use them without issues. Years ago the myth was that match bullets were no good as they behaved like FMJ on flesh, which has always been wrong. It's the opposite, they aren't designed to hold together at impact, so they tend to come apart more easily thus do an excellent job making a mess in the boiler room. But it's a good idea to avoid the big bones as they can blow the bullet up so it doesn't penetrate deeply enough, which can happen with any bullet.

Personally I prefer not to rely on bullet performance and aim where I know it will do the most immediate lethal damage, regardless of bullet design.

the big thing that NF states is that these match bullets expand easily and are okay at distance as velocity drops . close in they fly apart apparently . at least that's what i recall reading on his knowledge base :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2024, 12:03 pm

bigrich wrote:the big thing that NF states is that these match bullets expand easily and are okay at distance as velocity drops . close in they fly apart apparently . at least that's what i recall reading on his knowledge base :thumbsup:

Yes, like all bullets used against live targets they have minimum and maximum terminal velocities you want to remain within.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by drone » 29 Jan 2024, 7:35 am

That was a really informative thread until it wandered off in the wrong direction. Thanks to all who contributed to it.
drone
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by bigrich » 29 Jan 2024, 11:22 am

drone wrote:That was a really informative thread until it wandered off in the wrong direction. Thanks to all who contributed to it.

I know I tend to digress and wander off topic. Sorry mate, old fart disease
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2024, 1:55 pm

drone wrote:That was a really informative thread until it wandered off in the wrong direction. Thanks to all who contributed to it.

It was you that introduced bullet design into the conversation ;-)

But yes, it was interesting, particularly in how they made changes to the system over the years with seemingly little documentation of them. That's always annoying for anybody that actually works on mechanical contraptions.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jan 2024, 7:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:

It was you that introduced bullet design into the conversation ;-)

But yes, it was interesting, particularly in how they made changes to the system over the years with seemingly little documentation of them. That's always annoying for anybody that actually works on mechanical contraptions.

And that is part of the problem. You get lots of people THINK they know how to time the Pre81 BLR, based on methods that work on other models. There are a number of variations.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by drone » 01 Feb 2024, 12:31 am

I introduced the a mention of the requirement of our enforcing authority into the discussion with all due respect, but here I am digressing again.
drone
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by drone » 12 Mar 2024, 6:37 am

blr zeiss 1.JPG
blr zeiss 1.JPG (747.85 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Just a quick update on my blr 81, this gun is damn faultless, damn accurate and damn quick.
I ran my borescope thru the barrel, it's either had a new barrel or very, very few rounds through it. I suspect it may be the former as the plating on the trigger is discoloured or previous owners may have spent more time cycling it than I do.
I gave just over £200 for it and I reckon I gotta bargain. Since I got it I've spent more than that on a set of Talley rings especially made for the rifle direct from the US, put a new 1x4 IR scope on asI've an urge to go driven boar shooting in Eastern Europe. In the meantime I've fitted my old Zeiss DIavari 1.5x6x42 on it for a bit of range work, nothing serious you know.
I also started using cast boolits with gas checks 163 grains FP with 16 grains of 2400 behind them, they are so so accurate it's astonishing to me, not a tack driver but just shoots point of aim.
Just finish by thanking all for their info, it helped me enormously and I appreciate that.
Hereabouts is an image showing the Tally mounts which are the dogs dangleys.
blr zeiss 1.JPG
blr zeiss 1.JPG (747.85 KiB) Viewed 317 times
drone
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing