Mauser 98 misfiring

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Mauser 98 misfiring

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 5:50 pm

So,today on a goat hunt,I had my m98 in 35 whelen misfire on a goat at 7m. Luckily,because I'm a stealthy bugger,I was able to reload and finish the job. Buuuuuut.....this is the 3rd misfire from this gun in 15 shots !
Now,I've already had the heads pace checked and adjusted,and I've fitted a heavier firing pin spring. The firing pin certainly appears to protrude from the bolt face enough. I believe these were reloaded using federal large rifle primers but there is potential they were reloaded with CCI large rifle primers. The firing pin isn't gunked up or anything, I cleaned it and the bolt body out when I replaced the firing pin spring back when I bought the gun. So,aside from perhaps the primers ( which I've used on all my other calibres with zero issue I might add ), what could be some other things to look at ? A misfire is fine when goat hunting,but no good if I'm chasing deer or anything that might have a go back.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Mauser 98 misfiring

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 6:00 pm

Definitely odd Pete. The Mauser 98 is renowned for it reliability. I had a mate have a problem like that a while ago with a batch of reloads . Only thing we could think of was when he loaded it was high humidity and he was dripping sweat. That problem with his rifle only happened on that batch of reloads. Any manufactured item can be potentially a dud too .

Or you could just buy a model 70 :P . Sorry Pete, couldn’t help myself, hope you solve it mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Jun 2022, 6:01 pm

Appears isn't good enough, measure your pin protrusion to confirm it is within specs. Did you check the primers on the mis-fired cartridges, ie: fire a 2nd time to see if they worked? A bad batch of primers can occur. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 6:16 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Appears isn't good enough, measure your pin protrusion to confirm it is within specs. Did you check the primers on the mis-fired cartridges, ie: fire a 2nd time to see if they worked? A bad batch of primers can occur. Cheers.

Definitely tried firing again on a couple when I was target shooting,no dice.
The firing pin protrudes enough that any further I'd nearly be worried it might puncture the primer,although the dent on today's primer is minuscule,so I dunno
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 6:17 pm

bigrich wrote:Definitely odd Pete. The Mauser 98 is renowned for it reliability. I had a mate have a problem like that a while ago with a batch of reloads . Only thing we could think of was when he loaded it was high humidity and he was dripping sweat. That problem with his rifle only happened on that batch of reloads. Any manufactured item can be potentially a dud too .

Or you could just buy a model 70 :P . Sorry Pete, couldn’t help myself, hope you solve it mate :thumbsup:

I already have a model 70
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 6:29 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:Definitely odd Pete. The Mauser 98 is renowned for it reliability. I had a mate have a problem like that a while ago with a batch of reloads . Only thing we could think of was when he loaded it was high humidity and he was dripping sweat. That problem with his rifle only happened on that batch of reloads. Any manufactured item can be potentially a dud too .

If one is good, two is better :D
I just read your reply to no1mk3 . Shallow strike on the primer ? Maybe there’s drag on the firing pin inside the bolt somehow ? I realise you’ve probably checked everything twice, but sometimes it’s the simple things we overlook. Maybe it is as simple as bad primers. Do another load from another batch of primers maybe and see if you can’t rule out the primers themselves. If it’s not them it would have to be the bolt. Actually, maybe drag on the firing pin from the trigger sear somehow ? I apologise for any suggestion that may seem stupid, but thinking outside the box can sometimes yield results :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 7:13 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:

If one is good, two is better :D
I just read your reply to no1mk3 . Shallow strike on the primer ? Maybe there’s drag on the firing pin inside the bolt somehow ? I realise you’ve probably checked everything twice, but sometimes it’s the simple things we overlook. Maybe it is as simple as bad primers. Do another load from another batch of primers maybe and see if you can’t rule out the primers themselves. If it’s not them it would have to be the bolt. Actually, maybe drag on the firing pin from the trigger sear somehow ? I apologise for any suggestion that may seem stupid, but thinking outside the box can sometimes yield results :thumbsup:

Nah,nothings stupid. I have indeed gone over everything multiple times,which is why I'm scratching my head a lot. I'm not discounting that it might be the primers,but if thats the case why are they only causing issues with one gun ? Weird. Maybe its a combination of a bunch of things. I definitely need to measure the firing pin protrusion though,even if I do think its out far enough myself.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 04 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

Light strikes yeah?
Military 98's generally smack the arse out of them pretty good, not much to go wrong.
What the trigger and cocking piece look like?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 7:33 pm

dnedative wrote:Light strikes yeah?
Military 98's generally smack the arse out of them pretty good, not much to go wrong.
What the trigger and cocking piece look like?

The trigger is a timney.
Everything else looks normal to me
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jun 2022, 8:24 pm

The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Jun 2022, 9:07 pm

One thing to consider, they made LOTS of different batches of Mauser 98’s , from lots of different factories. it’s common to mix and match parts. Maybe something is just not quite right. The light firing pin strikes makes me think the pin is catching or dragging on something occasionally :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 9:22 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Could be the primers.

https://www.australianhunting.net/index ... c=271519.0

That link won't work unless you're a member.
It could be,but then you'd think all the other ammo I've loaded using them would be having similar problems
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jun 2022, 10:02 pm

OK. The thread was about a bloke had same issue with CCI primers. But no definitive cause found,

If they have been OK with other ammo then must be the rifle/pin of related to seating of primers I guess. Head space perhaps?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Jun 2022, 10:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:OK. The thread was about a bloke had same issue with CCI primers. But no definitive cause found,

If they have been OK with other ammo then must be the rifle/pin of related to seating of primers I guess. Head space perhaps?

As i said in the first post,I've already had the headspace checked and adjusted.
I have heard that some people have has trouble with CCI primers so maybe I'll try changing that aspect
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 05 Jun 2022, 7:42 am

How does it go on factory ammo
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2022, 8:18 am

northdude wrote:How does it go on factory ammo

What is " factory ammo " ?
Ha ha,I don't buy factory ammo for anything really,but this did come with some,and it was worse and was the reason I got the headspace done and fitted a stronger firing pin spring....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2022, 8:31 am

Spring replaced, pin protrudes enough, head space checked, primers ok in other ammo.

"firing pin protrudes enough that any further I'd nearly be worried it might puncture the primer, although the dent on today's primer is minuscule, so I dunno"

Possible reasons:
Cases over sized, creating excessive head space.
Primer not seated.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Jun 2022, 8:32 am

Maybe the chamber was cut too long and the ammo is out of reach of the firing pin.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2022, 9:25 am

Wm.Traynor wrote:Maybe the chamber was cut too long and the ammo is out of reach of the firing pin.

Hence why its been in to the gunsmith already and had the headspace adjusted,as I'm sure I've mentioned a couple of times ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2022, 9:26 am

Oldbloke wrote:Spring replaced, pin protrudes enough, head space checked, primers ok in other ammo.

"firing pin protrudes enough that any further I'd nearly be worried it might puncture the primer, although the dent on today's primer is minuscule, so I dunno"

Possible reasons:
Primer not seated.

Cases are only neck sized.
Primers seated flush.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2022, 10:46 am

bigpete wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Spring replaced, pin protrudes enough, head space checked, primers ok in other ammo.

Possible reasons:
Primer not seated.

Cases are only neck sized.
Primers seated flush.

Not much left.
Blunt firing pin?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Jun 2022, 10:55 am

About a dozen responses along the same lines as this thread. But no solution.

tempFileForShare_20220605-105218_662549956891798.jpg
tempFileForShare_20220605-105218_662549956891798.jpg (209.21 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 05 Jun 2022, 12:24 pm

Excess headspace is unlikely to be the source of the ignition problem. I know of individuals who have fired loaded 308 rounds in a 30/06 chamber in order to produce a nearly straight sided 308 case but that is not a recommendation that any reader try it.
It can be done in a M98 because the case is held securely by the extractor and the ignition system, if in good condition, has enough energy to do it.
The firing pin protrusion should be no less than 0.055" and ideally about 0.065" and the tip should be a smooth hemispherical shape.
The original poster 's problem is likely due to the combination of a number of potential deficiencies and could be any combination of these:
Insufficient firing pin protrusion
Blunt tip on firing pin
Bent firing pin
Other source of friction in in bolt.
Primers not seated hard enough
As for the comments suggesting a Winchester M70 is superior in igniting primers, compare these numbers:
M70 (post 64)
Primer impact velocity - 13.0 fps
Primer impact energy - 68.1 inch ounces
Primer impact impulse - 0.87 ounce seconds
M98 (standard)
Primer impact velocity - 15.1 fps
Primer impact energy - 130.2 inch ounces
Primer impact impulse - 1.44 ounce seconds
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2022, 12:37 pm

straightshooter wrote:Excess headspace is unlikely to be the source of the ignition problem. I know of individuals who have fired loaded 308 rounds in a 30/06 chamber in order to produce a nearly straight sided 308 case but that is not a recommendation that any reader try it.
It can be done in a M98 because the case is held securely by the extractor and the ignition system, if in good condition, has enough energy to do it.
The firing pin protrusion should be no less than 0.055" and ideally about 0.065" and the tip should be a smooth hemispherical shape.
The original poster 's problem is likely due to the combination of a number of potential deficiencies and could be any combination of these:
Insufficient firing pin protrusion
Blunt tip on firing pin
Bent firing pin
Other source of friction in in bolt.
Primers not seated hard enough
As for the comments suggesting a Winchester M70 is superior in igniting primers, compare these numbers:
M70 (post 64)
Primer impact velocity - 13.0 fps
Primer impact energy - 68.1 inch ounces
Primer impact impulse - 0.87 ounce seconds
M98 (standard)
Primer impact velocity - 15.1 fps
Primer impact energy - 130.2 inch ounces
Primer impact impulse - 1.44 ounce seconds

Out of that list the first 3 may be an issue,the last one definitely isn't
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 05 Jun 2022, 3:12 pm

Thats funny because I had the same issue this week. Two cartridges failed to fire in a Tikka .223. The same primers were loaded into a .222 on the same day and there has been no issue.

The only thing that has changed is that I am using new ADI brass in the .223.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 05 Jun 2022, 7:56 pm

If its barely marking the primer when it miss fires and its got a strong spring in it id be checking that the firing pin isnt binding in the bolt..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2022, 8:03 pm

Yeah,I was just chatting to a mate who knows a fair bit about mausers and I'm going to soak the bolt body in petrol and give it a good scrub out
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm

northdude wrote:If its barely marking the primer when it miss fires and its got a strong spring in it id be checking that the firing pin isnt binding in the bolt..

That was the only logical conclusion I came to if the primers aren’t the problem. Firing pin is occasionally dragging on something causing a weak strike
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Jun 2022, 8:26 pm

[quote="straightshooter"]

My comment to Pete to buy a model 70 was just kidding around. But if he won’t get another one maybe I should..... :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2022, 8:52 pm

bigrich wrote:
straightshooter wrote:As for the comments suggesting a Winchester M70 is superior in igniting primers, compare these numbers:

My comment to Pete to buy a model 70 was just kidding around. But if he won’t get another one maybe I should..... :D

Atm I'm earning less than 500 a week.....I certainly shouldn't have really bought my 58.....definitely not buying another model 70
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Gunsmithing