Rail Mount for Savage 24J

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rail Mount for Savage 24J

Post by Tubs » 08 Jul 2022, 1:51 pm

Anyone aware of a rail mount to suit a Savage 24J - its a combination 22LR and shotgun/

I want to mount a red dot on the top barrel ie: the 22LR, normal mounts arent going to work cause of the top round part of the barrel.

Looks like the grooves are cut like an 11mm

file.jpg
file.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

Any ideas?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Rail Mount for Savage 24J

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2022, 2:26 pm

Tubs wrote:Anyone aware of a rail mount to suit a Savage 24J - its a combination 22LR and shotgun/

I want to mount a red dot on the top barrel ie: the 22LR, normal mounts arent going to work cause of the top round part of the barrel.

The attachment file.jpg is no longer available

Any ideas?

Those are a pain, really needs an old-school style claw mount - these might work
s-l500 (2).jpg
s-l500 (2).jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353053799215

Scaling your pic it looks like the curve is about 3.5mm to bottom of the dovetail?
You could email one of the suppliers of these and ask them to measure the depth.
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (14.61 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

Or buy a curved-base rail and mount it with an epoxy.
s-l500 (1).jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg (15.28 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 08 Jul 2022, 7:59 pm

GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 08 Jul 2022, 8:10 pm

Thanks. I dont think this will fit though cause of the height of the barrel - it's not flat like other dovetail mounts
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 08 Jul 2022, 8:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:Anyone aware of a rail mount to suit a Savage 24J - its a combination 22LR and shotgun/

file.jpg

Any ideas?

Those are a pain, really needs an old-school style claw mount - these might work
s-l500 (2).jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353053799215

Scaling your pic it looks like the curve is about 3.5mm to bottom of the dovetail?

You could email one of the suppliers of these and ask them to measure the depth.
s-l500.jpg

Or buy a curved-base rail and mount it with an epoxy.
s-l500 (1).jpg

Hey L, I need a rail for a red dot, rings r good but a dot better given its for a shotty/rimfire, so that eliminates option 1.

All of the detachable mounts arent high enough, 3.5mm is alot of height.

Leaves option 3. Given the barrel is very narrow (22) do u know if the surface area would be strong enough epoxied to handle shotgun recoil and if any rails exist that would sit the smaller barrel?

Thanks
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2022, 8:31 pm

Tubs wrote:Hey L, I need a rail for a red dot, rings r good but a dot better given its for a shotty/rimfire, so that eliminates option 1.

Leaves option 3. Given the barrel is very narrow (22) do u know if the surface area would be strong enough epoxied to handle shotgun recoil and if any rails exist that would sit the smaller barrel?

Thanks

It looks like there is enough meat there to drill and tap a rail onto it, but I would try epoxy first.
Any machine shop can mill the base of a rail to a 6.5mm radius (or whatever) to fit the barrel.
I'd even try it in the lathe with a boring bar and a four-jaw chuck.

Have you talked to Savage about what they suggest you could use?

I Googled it and scopes don't seem uncommon on these.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Savage+24J+scope&sxsrf=ALiCzsZzpykiTcb0py5Hw1f0YoHPKzzKxw:1657276256781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo5dGUi-n4AhWiSmwGHc5YCNoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1774&bih=853&dpr=1
https://www.ebay.com/p/813090409
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 08 Jul 2022, 8:36 pm

Thanks mate, Ill buy those claw mounts and start there...
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 09 Jul 2022, 7:28 pm

Tubs wrote:

Thanks. I dont think this will fit though cause of the height of the barrel - it's not flat like other dovetail mounts

I bought them to go on a Savage combination gun.

I will have a look at it tomorrow.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 10 Jul 2022, 9:04 am

This was a project of mine that has never been done. And of course, now I have forgotten some of the details. The pic that bladeracer has put up above is familiar though. From memory I have seen those before, and they are a go-to for the Savage.

I wanted a rail mount, so I could use quick detachable mounts to use the scope on the rimfire and remove it for the shotgun. The Sun Optics mount that I listed above will need some clearance work on it to get it to clamp up properly, as it does not fit out of the box.

So the Savage must be slightly different to a normal 11mm dovetail. To be honest, I forget.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 05 Aug 2022, 7:09 pm

GQshayne wrote:This was a project of mine that has never been done. And of course, now I have forgotten some of the details. The pic that bladeracer has put up above is familiar though. From memory I have seen those before, and they are a go-to for the Savage.

I wanted a rail mount, so I could use quick detachable mounts to use the scope on the rimfire and remove it for the shotgun. The Sun Optics mount that I listed above will need some clearance work on it to get it to clamp up properly, as it does not fit out of the box.

So the Savage must be slightly different to a normal 11mm dovetail. To be honest, I forget.

I found a twin mount from the US, not too expensive. I should get it soon enough and will let u know how it goes

https://gun-guides.com/products/Perfect ... -p83298188

Not sure what scope to mount on it for small game hunting, any ideas? Needs to be compatible with the shotty.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tubs » 05 Aug 2022, 7:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Tubs wrote:Hey L, I need a rail for a red dot, rings r good but a dot better given its for a shotty/rimfire, so that eliminates option 1.

Thanks

It looks like there is enough meat there to drill and tap a rail onto it, but I would try epoxy first.
Any machine shop can mill the base of a rail to a 6.5mm radius (or whatever) to fit the barrel.
I'd even try it in the lathe with a boring bar and a four-jaw chuck.

Have you talked to Savage about what they suggest you could use?

I Googled it and scopes don't seem uncommon on these.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Savage+24J+scope&sxsrf=ALiCzsZzpykiTcb0py5Hw1f0YoHPKzzKxw:1657276256781&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo5dGUi-n4AhWiSmwGHc5YCNoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1774&bih=853&dpr=1
https://www.ebay.com/p/813090409
s-l1600.jpg

Hey L, I contacted Savage and they refuse to provide direct support on any product more than 10 or so years old, sad.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 05 Aug 2022, 8:11 pm

Those mounts look like the best option. I will possibly have to get a set for myself too at some stage.

As for a scope, I will use QD rings, so the scope will only be on for the .22. I was intending to make mine into .22 Mag, but even still it is only a close range weapon for me. I have an old Tasco 3-9 that will do the job for me. I think small and light are good things to look for rather than a big power variable.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing