Rossi 44 mag beating up noses

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Rossi 44 mag beating up noses

Post by mickb » 19 Jul 2022, 5:43 pm

Just function tested a rossi 92 44mag in store. Owner let me run some 44 special dummy loads through it as I said I want it to be able to run the shorter case.

Ran fast like a dream, even western action speed. But boy did it flog the noses of the 200 grain hollowpoints I loaded :shock:

I can post pictures but basically created a significant bevel on one side of the nose, no roughness or scratching, more of a flat depression.

Its not during loading through the gate or the magazine tube. Single loading directly to the chamber was nice and smooth too. Slowly levering them into the chamber from the magazine there was somewhat of a catch point but they werent damaged on ejection.

But run them fast, wow, one bullet I ran through twice and viewed from end on the hollow cavity .became almost triangular. :o
:
I am thinking as the cartridge comes up at an angle for 1892's on the lifter the short cartridge may be ramming in at too acute an angle to the chamber. ? Maybe this is normal in 44 mag rossi's and expected running the short case? Wondering whether to investigate further, accept it, or finding another to test.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Rossi 44 mag beating up noses

Post by Over The Hill » 19 Jul 2022, 5:52 pm

IMHO If it doesnt do what you want without ay issues then dont do it. Maybe the dealer has somewhere where you can run your real ammo through it and shoot it to see how that goes. I had a 44 Mag lever a long tima ago, A Browning B92, made in Japan by Miroku, best lever gun I have used, they come up occasionally on the used market, worth checking out
Over The Hill
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 19 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

Quite possibly because you were running short ammo through it. Mine never had any issue with any of the full length 44mag ammo I used, even 310gn Lee with a massive meplat fed sweet
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2022, 7:33 pm

My 357 Rossi used to seriously smash the noses of my Sierra hp bullets but it was strictly related to tube mag smashing up and down in a scabbard on a bike riding over rough ground when younger. ( those were the days ). Memories.... as soon as I changed to xtp prob solved due to jacket protection of points .... is it possible to adjust seating depth ? Reliable cycling is everything in a lever. The Hornady xtp mag pills is tougher up front than the standard xtp but they prob way too tough at lower speeds I reckon xtp mag pills are for things like buff and bulls. I try not to buy them.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing