barrel cleaning

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: barrel cleaning

Post by bladeracer » 09 Dec 2022, 6:28 pm

scoot wrote:How do you get experience???

Experience takes time and costs money, and involves making mistakes, but it's the best way for the lessons to stick.
There is no right way to clean a barrel, there are dozens if not hundreds of ways people have cleaned barrels for centuries. Some work better than others, some don't work at all, some actually cause damage. But basically you are simply cleaning off anything (moisture, salts, and chemical residues) that might cause damage to the metal itself (generally some type of steel alloy so the biggest issue is iron corrosion), or to the mechanical design (the rifling, crown, chamber, etc), and then applying something that will protect the metal from the elements (oil or grease generally). Pick whatever you think works and do it. After some time you'll decide whether it's working as you want or it's not. Or you might just want to try something different. Most barrels are going to be a steel alloy, blued on outside surfaces, but probably "in the white" in the bore due to bullet friction wiping away any blue. Some barrels might be chrome plated in the bore. The blued outer is less likely to rust than the clean inner surface but all of it should have some film of protective oil or grease.

Or you can study what other people have decided works for them, including the manufacturers of barrels, and adopt one of their methods.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoot » 09 Dec 2022, 9:42 pm

Good info, my comment was a sarcastic reply to basically being told a teslong borescope is a waste of time and money. Unless you're an "expert" looking at you're bore is a stoopid idea. :unknown:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2022, 5:00 am

Well, I appreciate all the opinions and views. With regards to my barrel, after talking to my smith it confirms my opinion that rifles and barrels all have different quirks and “personality “ accuracy is quite good and doesn’t seem to drop off, so there’s hope yet. Shoots 1/2” at 100 which is quite good for a sporting rifle. At the worst I’ll get another tube made up for it, but I don’t want to give up too quickly and throw more money at it . Maybe a dose of sweets might eat of the roughness :D
A bore scope may reveal more. The rifling has been cut deep so maybe that has something to do with it . With regards to bore scopes themselves, if you want to spend the money and learn, why not ? Information on what to look for is easily found on the internet, and I’m on good terms with my smith, he’d be more than happy to teach me what I’m looking at

Over 20 years in the hot rod/street machine car game, I went from a inexperienced teenager to be able to do full bare metal restorations and building up motors for the drags.
You never stop learning, and you won’t learn if you don’t have a go
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Dec 2022, 9:18 am

My M70 30.06 took about 300 rounds to come good. Prior to that it was a bugger to clean.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2022, 9:23 am

Oldbloke wrote:My M70 30.06 took about 300 rounds to come good. Prior to that it was a bugger to clean.

Interesting OB , had a problem with copper fouling as well did it ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Dec 2022, 12:05 pm

Yep, the M70 30.06 initially took a lot of work to clean. Seems much better these days. Carried a lot, probably had about 4-500 rounds.

I didn't do it, but probably should have given it a bit of a polish/lap. I reckon you should consider that, go easy, you can't put it back on.

My other two Marlins seem easy to clean. Usually just 10 minutes workout using carby cleaner. Perhaps every 20 or so rounds a short go with some sweets. But nothing like your doing. But like I said, mainly carried. Don't really go to the range.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Dec 2022, 12:07 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yep, the M70 30.06 initially took a lot of work to clean. Seems much better these days. Carried a lot, probably had about 4-500 rounds.

I didn't do it, but probably should have given it a bit of a polish/lap. I reckon you should consider that, go easy, you can't put it back on.

My other two Marlins seem easy to clean. Usually just 10 minutes workout using carby cleaner. Perhaps every 20 or so rounds a short go with some sweets. But nothing like your doing. But like I said, mainly carried. Don't really go to the range.

most of my range work is load development . and i REALLY like doing load work :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Dec 2022, 6:07 pm

Just a note for those that reckon Sweets is no good. Use your u-beaut copper remover until you are confident it's all gone. Then use a wet patch of Sweets, leave for 15 minutes and run a clean dry patch. Let me know the outcome...
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wyliecoyote » 11 Dec 2022, 9:51 am

rich if the rifle shoots well i doubt the barrel is at fault. The throat may be picking up copper but in saying that accuracy should be seen to drop off. It may be just as simple as microscopic voids in the steel supplied to the maker. I suggest you shoot the rifle, remove the carbon and inspect with a borescope to find where the copper is deposiiting.and what type of fouling it is ie, copper deposits in voids or copper wash from skating or precipitation fouling. The latter two is my guess if the rifle shoots well and maintains it.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Dec 2022, 6:45 pm

Wyliecoyote wrote:rich if the rifle shoots well i doubt the barrel is at fault. The throat may be picking up copper but in saying that accuracy should be seen to drop off. It may be just as simple as microscopic voids in the steel supplied to the maker. I suggest you shoot the rifle, remove the carbon and inspect with a borescope to find where the copper is deposiiting.and what type of fouling it is ie, copper deposits in voids or copper wash from skating or precipitation fouling. The latter two is my guess if the rifle shoots well and maintains it.

i've been in touch with my smith and he wants to bore scope it . at this point everything is speculation . he does think this is unusual , if the barrel maker hasn't goofed it could be the steel in the barrel blanks has something going on . i'm looking forward to solving this issue .
i took my 6.5x55 t3 out for a final sight in today for a upcoming trip , and used no more than 12 patches with my normal cleaning routine after 20 rounds . some where load development . i got 140 partitions to shoot as well with the same powder charge as 140sst's . i had a COL from a previous 6.5 that proved to be spot on . it's only had just over 80 rounds through it . the copper fouling 30-06 has had about 220 rounds through it . i break in all my barrels correctly when new as well
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 11 Dec 2022, 10:30 pm

Its not limited to one bullet is it?
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Dec 2022, 4:43 am

dnedative wrote:Its not limited to one bullet is it?

No mate, I’ve tried various weights and brands
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 12 Dec 2022, 9:27 pm

Sounds like it needs a lead ball knocked down it to measure and a scope to take a good look.
Only barrels that I've had fowl like that have been (rough-ish) military barrels where the surface finish just chews the bullet as its going down the pipe - I tool one off a range SMLE that shot 1.2" groups all day long but you learned not to bother trying to get it clean. Run out of patches and solvent ;)
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2022, 4:31 pm

hey fellas, i got my barrel bore scoped yesterday by my smith. and there was nothing unusual in the bore :huh:
the smith reckons he's had the odd barrel from qaulity name brand barrel makers do the same thing . it might settle down after some more rounds . maybe :(
i could just hang onto it and put up with 8 hours off cleaning . but a swap for a new T3 is starting to sound like less hassle :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 20 Dec 2022, 9:52 pm

When I'm shooting competition with my 3006 after 20-30 rounds I get a heap of copper build up. First it's going to take sbout 10 patches of bore tech c4 cleaner and scrubbing to get the powder out and patches are clean. Then its going take about 45 minutes and 5 patches with C12 copper cleaner. Finally about an hour with the JB bore paste and 5 patches t get the carbon and copper out.

I've got a hawkeye borescope and I see if I've taken the bore back to bare metal.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Dec 2022, 6:35 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas, i got my barrel bore scoped yesterday by my smith. and there was nothing unusual in the bore :huh:
the smith reckons he's had the odd barrel from qaulity name brand barrel makers do the same thing . it might settle down after some more rounds . maybe :(
i could just hang onto it and put up with 8 hours off cleaning . but a swap for a new T3 is starting to sound like less hassle :roll:

BR, IMO, before you run out and buy a Howa or T3 you should invest an hour lapping the barrel.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 29 Dec 2022, 6:32 am

I use a bronze brush on one of my barrels. I do about 6 passes with it dry as I recon it seems to break the surface of the copper up then I use boretech. I have also used ammonia but some people are s**t scared of it. You just have to clean it back out properly thats all..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 29 Dec 2022, 6:57 am

northdude wrote:I use a bronze brush on one of my barrels. I do about 6 passes with it dry as I recon it seems to break the surface of the copper up then I use boretech. I have also used ammonia but some people are s**t scared of it. You just have to clean it back out properly thats all..

I’ve tried all that mate . My smith has told me of the odd barrel from other quality makers that have done the same thing . Re my other post, I’m thinking of getting a stainless howa instead of my “safe queen “ sako.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2022, 5:08 am

This popped up on my Youtube feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REmboCW9dP8
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 01 Jan 2023, 1:11 pm

I use Butches bore shine and pro shot rod and bronze brushes and scrub 10 back and forth passes after 20 rounds, and yes i do pull the brush back when it completely exits the muzzle BUT SLOWLY WITH CONSTANT PRESSURE,
Have never had any issues, use a bore guide and DONT PUMP IT LIKE YOUR UNBLOCKING A DRAIN :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing