Barrel Wrap & Harmonics

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Barrel Wrap & Harmonics

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Dec 2022, 7:56 pm

Anybody here know or have knowledge on the following,,,,,,,,,,,,
One of my centerfire rifles (with a varmint barrel) which is stainless,, I have wrapped with that bandage type camo wrap.
The type of fabric is stretchy, and clings to itself.
I've done this simply to cover/block out the bright stainless finish with a single layer spiraled onto it.

Would / Could this be enough to affect the barrel harmonics ? :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Barrel Wrap & Harmonics

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Dec 2022, 8:03 pm

No, a cloth binding does not offer enough pressure or stiffening to the barrel to affect harmonics, if the cloth does make contact between the barrel and stock it may change point of impact if the contact is thick enough. I have done this with a number of rifles according to instructions from a former Army marksman who himself has won prizes at ASAAM and have never seen a variation that could be put down to harmonic variation, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Dec 2022, 8:18 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Anybody here know or have knowledge on the following,,,,,,,,,,,,
One of my centerfire rifles (with a varmint barrel) which is stainless,, I have wrapped with that bandage type camo wrap.
The type of fabric is stretchy, and clings to itself.
I've done this simply to cover/block out the bright stainless finish with a single layer spiraled onto it.

Would / Could this be enough to affect the barrel harmonics ? :unknown:

My 7mm-08 has been wrapped for some years now and I haven't noticed any issues.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Dec 2022, 8:41 pm

Thanks heaps Gents.
:friends: :drinks: :clap:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 08 Dec 2022, 8:53 pm

I would have thought no problem. One of my main night rifles is also a stainless heavy barrel. . Shame on me for not worrying about it being too shiny ... its hard too know if it stands out at night. Its not like i can ask the animals if they can see it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 09 Dec 2022, 5:33 am

A multitude of factors all affect barrel harmonics including the astrological calendar, the phases of the moon and what you had for breakfast.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by nurofen » 09 Dec 2022, 10:12 am

straightshooter wrote:A multitude of factors all affect barrel harmonics including the astrological calendar, the phases of the moon and what you had for breakfast.

What's your star sign?
target rifle shooter
nurofen
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 09 Dec 2022, 2:29 pm

One thing that does effect harmonics is barrel bling.

I put a little sound forwarding device on my Lithgow just because I liked the look of it and the normal sporter barrel looked like an over circumcised penis to my eye, being a varmint fan.

With the bling and locking ring it threw rounds all over the place, without the locking ring groups were tighter than without the bling.

Got to be some sort of harmonics going on there.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 01 Jan 2023, 2:30 pm

straightshooter wrote:A multitude of factors all affect barrel harmonics including the astrological calendar, the phases of the moon and what you had for breakfast.

..I've heard the same thing, and now it's been proven that our planet is flat it also affects the gravitational pull between barrel and stock.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jan 2023, 4:19 pm

Elmer wrote:

..I've heard the same thing, and now it's been proven that our planet is flat it also affects the gravitational pull between barrel and stock.

If it were flat how come we can never find a flat spot in a paddock to put the water trough :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 10 Jan 2023, 8:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Elmer wrote:

If it were flat how come we can never find a flat spot in a paddock to put the water trough :-)

You need to use a water diviner and bless the spot
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Gunsmithing