JB bore paste

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

JB bore paste

Post by bigrich » 06 Jan 2023, 10:56 am

hey fellas . some of you eill remember my post on my new 30-06 barrel that coppers up . now this barrel doesn't lose accuracy at 25 rounds fired , but it's a painfuly looong process of cleaning . i've tried all different solvents/methods to no avail . a couple of you suggested patching out with JB bore paste to smooth any rough edges that may be causing issues . can anyone with experience give me some advice on this ? :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: JB bore paste

Post by Strikey » 06 Jan 2023, 11:09 am

I use JB bore paste every so often to get a barrel nice and clean but with a new rifle or barrel I like to give it a bit of polish up with JB before a single shot goes down it, I believe it smooths out the rough edges a bit, it certainly doesn't hurt.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jan 2023, 12:29 pm

Strikey wrote:I use JB bore paste every so often to get a barrel nice and clean but with a new rifle or barrel I like to give it a bit of polish up with JB before a single shot goes down it, I believe it smooths out the rough edges a bit, it certainly doesn't hurt.

so what's your procedure with polishing up a new barrel strikey ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wyliecoyote » 06 Jan 2023, 1:25 pm

Before you do anything make sure you have a quality rod like a Dewey. Take a very well worn or one size down bronze brush and wrap it tightly with a cloth strip diagonally across the full length of the brush. Coat it with JB and feed it into the chamber. It has to be a tight fit otherwise you are just polishing the top of the lands and not getting into the grooves. Stroke it back and forth coating the jag a few times and do this for a good 20 to 30 times. JB is not very aggressive and will polish only. Do not exit the muzzle so butt that up against a solid stop. The last thing you want is to compromise the sharp edges of your crown. After this process scrub out any residual JB with something like a carbon remover and patch clean.
It is quite common for problem barrels to be lapped with IOSSO polishing paste or even a very fine grit valve lapping compound using this exact process. On a new barrel doing the same but concentrating just on the leade area is essentially running the barrel in as it removes any irregularities or burrs on the oars of the throat.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 3:24 pm

About the 10th post down "marksman" explains it.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12613

Much the same as above.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 06 Jan 2023, 3:49 pm

bigrich wrote:
Strikey wrote:I use JB bore paste every so often to get a barrel nice and clean but with a new rifle or barrel I like to give it a bit of polish up with JB before a single shot goes down it, I believe it smooths out the rough edges a bit, it certainly doesn't hurt.

so what's your procedure with polishing up a new barrel strikey ?

Basically the same as Wylie has explained but I prefer to use a jag, each to their own.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Jan 2023, 4:26 pm

My .50 ML has been a prick to build up carbon and load. So I did it a week ago. More or less same method. I used "silvo" cause i had some.

:lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Jan 2023, 6:27 pm

Don't laugh but a cocky who's property I culled kangaroos.on years ago handed me a Remington 788 in his words it's busted don't care if you can't get it to shoot I'll just go buy another one he was very sad to hear we could not buy another 788 anyway outcome the brasso after several other attempts with other cleaners two weeks later I handed it back to him shot just over the inch better than the 5 or 6 in he was getting he got another 500 rounds out of that over 3 years then went and brought a howa and was absolutely stoked .

Anyway if you want to know how to clean and look after a barrel you just talk to long-range shooters who consistently shoot small groups simple as that
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jan 2023, 7:33 pm

deye243 wrote:Don't laugh but a cocky who's property I culled kangaroos.on years ago handed me a Remington 788 in his words it's busted don't care if you can't get it to shoot I'll just go buy another one he was very sad to hear we could not buy another 788 anyway outcome the brasso after several other attempts with other cleaners two weeks later I handed it back to him shot just over the inch better than the 5 or 6 in he was getting he got another 500 rounds out of that over 3 years then went and brought a howa and was absolutely stoked .

Anyway if you want to know how to clean and look after a barrel you just talk to long-range shooters who consistently shoot small groups simple as that

Told you, Im an xspert. :lol:
Last edited by Oldbloke on 08 Jan 2023, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Jan 2023, 10:25 pm

bigrich wrote:hey fellas . some of you eill remember my post on my new 30-06 barrel that coppers up . now this barrel doesn't lose accuracy at 25 rounds fired , but it's a painfuly looong process of cleaning . i've tried all different solvents/methods to no avail . a couple of you suggested patching out with JB bore paste to smooth any rough edges that may be causing issues . can anyone with experience give me some advice on this ? :thumbsup:

There are two grades of JB bore paste. The dark kahki one and the finer red one. Normally I'd just just the dark one and thats generally good enough for getting that baked carbon out and any trace of copper.

But if you want to see copper dissolve out while having a coffee here's the KG12 and lots of it just squirted up the barrel of my 416 Rem Mag

https://youtu.be/soFJxb4zJ78
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Jan 2023, 10:28 pm

Here it is on the 30-06.

https://youtu.be/315vYZGyHhs
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Jan 2023, 3:33 pm

i think i'll leave this stuff alone . from some things i've read on the net you can stuff things up if your not careful
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 10 Jan 2023, 7:17 pm

bigrich wrote:i think i'll leave this stuff alone . from some things i've read on the net you can stuff things up if your not careful

Been using it for years after I got rid of sweets and boretech. Works find. Not sure what you mean stuff up. I certainly wipe any wood surfaces or plastic if it gets on there. So far so good.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing