Options for finishing a barrel

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Options for finishing a barrel

Post by tiki » 19 May 2014, 3:08 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:Or are they heavily taxed to an effort to reduce the amount people own?

Hate to be the pessimist but I'm sure they're just capitalizing on the fact you have to buy there magazines.

How much could it cost them to make a mag? $5? $10? plus shipping, profit and dealer bump they could be $40 - $50?

You're not going to chuck the rifle because you lost the mag obviously. If you lose or break a mag you need another one, whether it costs $50 or $150.

We're just getting stiffed on price I reckon.

[/end rant] :lol:
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by AussieTimmeh » 21 May 2014, 8:33 am

Gregg wrote:
You might be surprised.

A cap would only cost them a buck to make or something. Hopefully they're not adding too much margin to it...

As long as they don't want to send it next day priority blah blah express with UPS shipping shouldn't cost a fortune. A couple of bucks for international mail will get it here.

Fingers crossed...

Well I got a reply from Savage today. The cap is only $8USD, yay. But postage is $50USD. :|

Oh well, I'll pursue this local gunsmith first and use that as a fall back.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mark TAC » 21 May 2014, 9:28 am

^^^^ $50 !!!! :-0
no they must be quoting overnight, I've had that sized stuff sent over for about $15 and takes 2 weeks ish.
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by AussieTimmeh » 21 May 2014, 9:49 am

Yeah I have found this with several US businesses. Some seem to be able to send stuff cheap while others swear that these high prices are the cheapest they can find.

Still, at least they are willing to post it. I wonder if it would attract scrutiny at customs if it was from Savage Arms. Surely a thread protector would not need an import license.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 21 May 2014, 10:24 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:Well I got a reply from Savage today. The cap is only $8USD, yay. But postage is $50USD. :|

Oh well, I'll pursue this local gunsmith first and use that as a fall back.

I would just pay the $58 you will be charged more than that by a gunsmith plus the hassle of organising it dropping the gun to the gunsmith, taking scope off then waiting for the smith to do it in his own sweet time.

You cant beat the factory part. It will also match the colour of your barrel.

You shouldn't need a B709 because its nut a functional part.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 21 May 2014, 10:49 am

zook60 wrote:I would just pay the $58 you will be charged more than that by a gunsmith plus the hassle of organising it dropping the gun to the gunsmith, taking scope off then waiting for the smith to do it in his own sweet time.
You cant beat the factory part. It will also match the colour of your barrel.

The thought did cross my mind, to be honest.

zook60 wrote:You shouldn't need a B709 because its nut a functional part.

Thanks!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing