Options for finishing a barrel

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Options for finishing a barrel

Post by AussieTimmeh » 12 May 2014, 9:25 am

Hi all,

I wanted to investigate what options I have for finishing the barrel on my Savage Model 10 BAT/S once I've removed my muzzle brake so I can use the rifle on a range. According to this video, once I remove my muzzle brake I am going to be left with threads just hanging out the end of my barrel, like this:

The person in the video uses a linear compensator to finish the barrel. Seeing as this is almost a sort of suppressor, are they illegal in Australia or would I be ok to fit one to allow me to use a range?

What are my alternate options? Are there generic threaded end pieces that can finish the barrel? Who in Australia sells or makes them? Just having threads hanging out looks terrible.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Options for finishing a barrel

Post by Baldrick314 » 12 May 2014, 9:49 am

Haven't had a look around but there should be a someone offering a thread protector for your rifle. If not find out the size and thread pitch and get someone to make one up for you. Should cost next to nothing
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by tiki » 12 May 2014, 10:53 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:The person in the video uses a linear compensator to finish the barrel. Seeing as this is almost a sort of suppressor, are they illegal in Australia or would I be ok to fit one to allow me to use a range?

Linear compensator's just direct gas/noise away from the shooter don't they?

The sound goes in a different direction, but isn't reduced?
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Fry » 12 May 2014, 10:55 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:The person in the video uses a linear compensator to finish the barrel. Seeing as this is almost a sort of suppressor, are they illegal in Australia or would I be ok to fit one to allow me to use a range?

Pretty sure they're prohibited under the 'silencer' portions of the firearms act.

"silencer" means any instrument or thing by means of which the sound caused by the discharge of a firearm is rendered less audible, whether the instrument or thing forms part of the firearm or is or can be affixed or attached to the firearm;

Even though linear compensator's aren't designed specifically to reduce sound output, as a bi-product of redirecting gasses and having them expand slightly slower some sound reduction is possible.

Not enough that I'd call it a suppressor, but that's the deal AFAIK.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kelix » 12 May 2014, 10:58 am

Fry wrote:Not enough that I'd call it a suppressor, but that's the deal AFAIK.

It's probably more noticeable for anything on the target.

If you get a 5% reduction in total sound but 20% more sound is directed forward, the report could/would be noticeably louder at the target location.

(making those numbers up, but you get the idea)
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 12 May 2014, 11:03 am

Interesting discussion, thanks for the replies. So if we assume that a linear compensator is not allowed, what would you call something that screws over the thread that has no function whatsoever other than to hide the threads and make the barrel look complete? Where would you buy one or get one made?

I don't even know what term to search for online. 'Rifle barrel thread cover' doesn't reveal anything.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 12 May 2014, 11:29 am

I think I found the right term to search. It seems to be 'thread protector' and looks a little something like this.

I've been put onto Mick from Profab at Seaham who can remove the muzzle brake and manufacture a thread protector for it so we'll see how that goes.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Davies » 12 May 2014, 11:32 am

Just FYI you can simply shoot it with the bare thread.

It won't cause anything to go wrong, a cap is just about protecting the thread itself. Not stopping shooting related problems.

If you think you can get by without dinging the thread...
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Fry » 12 May 2014, 11:34 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:I think I found the right term to search. It seems to be 'thread protector' and looks a little something like this[/url].

Correct, a "thread protector" is what you're talking about.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 12 May 2014, 11:38 am

Davies wrote:Just FYI you can simply shoot it with the bare thread.

It won't cause anything to go wrong, a cap is just about protecting the thread itself. Not stopping shooting related problems.

If you think you can get by without dinging the thread...

Cheers, thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think it would affect the ability to use it, but it doesn't look great. It really is a vanity thing. It's already depressing removing the muzzle brake, but leaving the bare threads hanging out just looks odd.

Fry wrote:Correct, a "thread protector" is what you're talking about.

Thanks, slowly learning all the new terms!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 12 May 2014, 11:40 am

tiki wrote:Linear compensator's just direct gas/noise away from the shooter don't they?

The sound goes in a different direction, but isn't reduced?

You're correct that they direct gas away from the shooter (typically straight forward) to reduce noise/blast received by the shooter. They're often made to reduce muzzle hop too...

The majority of the report is gas expanding directly out of the barrel. As you may know silencers don't work by muffling the sound - it's not like there is pillow stuffing in them or anything - they work by controlling the expansion of gas to slow and release it more quietly.

As said, though not specifically designed to reduce sound the fact that a compensator stops the gas expanding without limit directly out of the barrel does have an effect on sound. On paper anyway... They certainly do nothing to 'silence' the report, like fry said.

Unfortunately it's just a case of them them getting caught under the net of a wide reaching law.

They're not really any different to a muzzle brake IMO. At least they shouldn't be from a legislative POV.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Prettybird » 12 May 2014, 11:43 am

Might be quieter behind the rifle for the shooter, or on paper with the right math.

I can tell you though, standing next to one they can be effing loud!

Turns a .22 (which I'd normally not use earmuffs for) into a painfully loud shot.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Davies » 12 May 2014, 11:45 am

AussieTimmeh wrote:Cheers, thanks for the confirmation. I didn't think it would affect the ability to use it, but it doesn't look great. It really is a vanity thing. It's already depressing removing the muzzle brake, but leaving the bare threads hanging out just looks odd.

There's definitely merit in covering the thread. For vanity and protecting it.

Wasn't suggesting you ignore it, just mentioned as you can continue shooting in the mean time while you sort it out ;)

Or if you leave the thread at home...
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AussieTimmeh » 12 May 2014, 11:48 am

Interesting discussion all round, thanks for everyone who has replied. I always enjoy learning.

Davies wrote:There's definitely merit in covering the thread. For vanity and protecting it.

Wasn't suggesting you ignore it, just mentioned as you can continue shooting in the mean time while you sort it out ;)

Or if you leave the thread at home...

For sure, thanks! :)
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by beepar » 12 May 2014, 3:44 pm

(Not an expert on this, just saw it on a gunsmithing show)

FYI you can get hand threading tools.

Sort of like a wine bottle opener almost... you run it around the tube (or inside if doing an internal thread like you'd need for a cap) in a couple of stages and it cuts in the thread.

I dunno what one costs but it's just a hand tool, not a machine one.

Could be an option if you get stuck? Find the thread of the barrel and match the opposite tool?
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Skadoo » 12 May 2014, 3:44 pm

Duct tape.

Pro.
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Klem » 12 May 2014, 3:45 pm

Skadoo wrote:Pro.

You spelt "stupid" wrong :P
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by AussieTimmeh » 12 May 2014, 3:49 pm

beepar wrote:(Not an expert on this, just saw it on a gunsmithing show)

FYI you can get hand threading tools.

Sort of like a wine bottle opener almost... you run it around the tube (or inside if doing an internal thread like you'd need for a cap) in a couple of stages and it cuts in the thread.

I dunno what one costs but it's just a hand tool, not a machine one.

Could be an option if you get stuck? Find the thread of the barrel and match the opposite tool?

Yeah I could, although I could always just buy one online from the looks of it.

This gunsmith fabricator I am going to try says he can make up something as well as safely remove the factory muzzle brake and I am hoping he might even be able to make it look a little badass as the same time.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by beepar » 12 May 2014, 7:51 pm

If you've got a smith to do it great.

I'm sure he can do it better than DIY. Definitely better than mine :lol:

Just a bit of info for you anyway.
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 18 May 2014, 4:25 pm

Is the muzzle brake a factory fitted brake?
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 18 May 2014, 4:30 pm

zook60 wrote:Is the muzzle brake a factory fitted brake?

Yes it is.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 18 May 2014, 5:20 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:
zook60 wrote:Is the muzzle brake a factory fitted brake?

Yes it is.

There is every chance you can actually buy one direct from savage. Both my Savage mk2 22 and Sako 223 are threaded at the muzzle from the factory and have a steel screw on cap. Savage are pretty good for direct mail out parts, you just have to stay up late enough to give them a call.

Your thread pitch will 99% be 5/8x24. I used to own a savage M10 Precision Carbine and it was the same, it was threaded and capped.

Another option is just buying a 30 cal flash suppressor for around $100 as the thread pitch on your gun is the industry standard.

One examplehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-St ... 5af512feeb
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 18 May 2014, 5:59 pm

Yeah thanks, it is a 5/8-24 thread.

The problem with most international places is they won't ship to Aus.

I did email Savage and they asked me to send them the serial of the rifle, waiting for a reply but I can't imagine factory stuff and shipping from the US will be cheap.

But I am looking to get one made up custom at the local gunsmith shortly.
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gregg » 18 May 2014, 7:17 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:waiting for a reply but I can't imagine factory stuff and shipping from the US will be cheap.

You might be surprised.

A cap would only cost them a buck to make or something. Hopefully they're not adding too much margin to it...

As long as they don't want to send it next day priority blah blah express with UPS shipping shouldn't cost a fortune. A couple of bucks for international mail will get it here.

Fingers crossed...
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by zook60 » 19 May 2014, 9:18 am

Gregg wrote:You might be surprised.

A cap would only cost them a buck to make or something. Hopefully they're not adding too much margin to it...

As long as they don't want to send it next day priority blah blah express with UPS shipping shouldn't cost a fortune. A couple of bucks for international mail will get it here.

Fingers crossed...

Yes a while back a guy on another forum did group buy with the mk2 magazines and savage were more than happy to take his credit card detail.

It worked out I got 3 mags for $45 and that was after he payed shipping from the states to him then shipping to me. Mags here are $60 each

Try this first and see how you go https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AussieTimmeh » 19 May 2014, 10:29 am

Yeah that is cheap for magazines. I cannot believe the cheapest magazine for my BAT/S in Australia that I could find was something like $265. Crikey!
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 19 May 2014, 2:26 pm

I dropped the mag for my Anschütz about 2 days after I got it and smashed a bit of the plastic off the bottom corners.

Still works fine, just a bit ragged on the bottom.

About $150 I think for a replacement :?

For a 5 shot .22LR mag :roll:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Monty » 19 May 2014, 2:42 pm

Lorgar wrote:I dropped the mag for my Anschütz about 2 days after I got it and smashed a bit of the plastic off the bottom corners.

Well that was stupid wasn't it :P
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 19 May 2014, 2:46 pm

Ha ha.

To be fair, I didn't actually drop it. I ejected it onto the bench so it only fell 6-7" but still broke.

Grrr.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AussieTimmeh » 19 May 2014, 2:50 pm

Ouch, yeah that hurts.

You would think that if they were cheaper, people would buy more and you'd get your costs back that way.

Or are they heavily taxed to an effort to reduce the amount people own?
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Gunsmithing