Shou Sugi Ban

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Shou Sugi Ban

Post by Fionn » 10 Feb 2023, 4:15 pm

Thinking of giving refinishing one of my rifles stocks in the Shou Sugi Ban method.

Anyone done it? or have any insight or opinions about it.

A picture for those who don't know what Shou Sugi Ban is, although I am not sure I would take it this far.

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Shou Sugi Ban

Post by womble » 10 Feb 2023, 4:47 pm

Looks awesome on that rifle. Would have much cosmetic appeal to me with a charcoal stock and stainless hardware.
But I’d be scared to experiment with with other combinations.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 10 Feb 2023, 5:14 pm

womble wrote:Looks awesome on that rifle. Would have much cosmetic appeal to me with a charcoal stock and stainless hardware.
But I’d be scared to experiment with with other combinations.

I am thinking of doing it on my SS Rossi 92 in 44mag, not a fan of the orange looking stock.

I am a bit scared also :lol: , but replacement stocks aren't that expensive, but still worried as the burning wood just seems disastrous.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Feb 2023, 5:50 pm

Sounds like the perfect candidate. The metal butt plate would compliment nicely too.

I’m tempted to pick up a Rossi 92 for a project. They may not be the best but they’ve nailed the 92 aesthetic. A lot of variety in aftermarket stuff. And theres a simple safety delete for the rear of receiver.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing