Do they make "steel" mags for Ruger American rifles ?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Do they make "steel" mags for Ruger American rifles ?

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2023, 5:03 pm

I have a Ruger 77 American in 300 Blackout.
It came with a God Awful plastic magazine that is the worst plastic firearm part I've ever come across.
You can put one round in the mag fairly easily,, but from there on it only gets worse with each successive round.
As soon as you try to put the second round in,,,, the sides of the mag start to bulge outwards.
Then,, when you try to put a 3rd round in, the sides bulge outwards so much that the rounds then try to seat side by side instead of staggered.
The only way I can get the last rounds in is to use a pencil or biro blunt end to push the rounds into the desired staggered position while
at the same time trying to feed the next round in.

Once you've achieved that,,,, the loaded magazine then becomes an interference fit into the rifle itself.
And,,,, trying to do all of that in the dark is about as useful as t!ts on a bull.

I rang Cleavers to ask if there are steel mags made for them, but the sales person couldn't even find any reference to the factory plastic ones availability,,,,
let alone steel mags.

Does anyone have any useful info on this issue. :unknown: :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Do they make "steel" mags for Ruger American rifles ?

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2023, 8:41 pm

The American and the 77 are different rifles, I'm guessing you have a Ruger American if it's in BLK?
They come in different versions, the originals had the rotary plastic mag. I'm not aware of any steel replacement for those. Lucky 13 I think did offer a replacement for a ton of money but it was still polymer. You seem to be describing a double-stack mag though?

Die Judicii wrote:I have a Ruger 77 American in 300 Blackout.
It came with a God Awful plastic magazine that is the worst plastic firearm part I've ever come across.
You can put one round in the mag fairly easily,, but from there on it only gets worse with each successive round.
As soon as you try to put the second round in,,,, the sides of the mag start to bulge outwards.
Then,, when you try to put a 3rd round in, the sides bulge outwards so much that the rounds then try to seat side by side instead of staggered.
The only way I can get the last rounds in is to use a pencil or biro blunt end to push the rounds into the desired staggered position while
at the same time trying to feed the next round in.

Once you've achieved that,,,, the loaded magazine then becomes an interference fit into the rifle itself.
And,,,, trying to do all of that in the dark is about as useful as t!ts on a bull.

I rang Cleavers to ask if there are steel mags made for them, but the sales person couldn't even find any reference to the factory plastic ones availability,,,,
let alone steel mags.

Does anyone have any useful info on this issue. :unknown: :unknown:
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2023, 9:36 pm

[quote="bladeracer"]The American and the 77 are different rifles, I'm guessing you have a Ruger American if it's in BLK?
They come in different versions, the originals had the rotary plastic mag. I'm not aware of any steel replacement for those. Lucky 13 I think did offer a replacement for a ton of money but it was still polymer. You seem to be describing a double-stack mag though?

Yes, sorry Definitely Ruger American 300BLK 1-7 twist,, and definitely NOT a rotary mag.
The mag itself is a PMAG 10 AR/M4 MAGPUL INDUSTRIES (5.56x45)
CAGE 1LX50 MADE IN USA

Although it says 10 (I'm guessing 10 Rnd) there is not a snowflakes chance in hell that you can get 10 in it.
9 at the absolute max.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 May 2023, 9:48 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bladeracer wrote:The American and the 77 are different rifles, I'm guessing you have a Ruger American if it's in BLK?

Yes, sorry Definitely Ruger American 300BLK 1-7 twist,, and definitely NOT a rotary mag.
The mag itself is a PMAG 10 AR/M4 MAGPUL INDUSTRIES (5.56x45)
CAGE 1LX50 MADE IN USA

Although it says 10 (I'm guessing 10 Rnd) there is not a snowflakes chance in hell that you can get 10 in it.
9 at the absolute max.

I'm not familiar with the mag, all four of mine came with the rotary but are now in MDT chassis with AICS mags. The mags are technically 10rd but getting more than eight in them is a struggle - eight is more than enough for me though. I haven't noticed any bulging, I think the springs are just very heavy. Are yours double-stack single-feed or double-feed? If they're double-feed you can probably get a loading tool for them. Somebody might do a single-feed loading tool as well but I've never seen one.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 May 2023, 12:01 am

Mate I use a Lucky 13 in mine. The terrible plastic mag that come with it broke on mine. As I understand it the later model ones can take AR style mags.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 May 2023, 10:24 am

JimTom wrote:Mate I use a Lucky 13 in mine. The terrible plastic mag that come with it broke on mine. As I understand it the later model ones can take AR style mags.

Yes Mate, you hit the nail on the head.
It's branded AR M4

So what model name/number is on your Lucky 13 mag ?
I might try and get one cos nothing could be worse than the sh!t one I've got at the moment.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 May 2023, 8:31 pm

Mate I can’t actually tell you at present. Have a look on cleavers website, looks like he has them mate. I’ll let you know for sure when I can.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 May 2023, 8:35 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate I can’t actually tell you at present. Have a look on cleavers website, looks like he has them mate. I’ll let you know for sure when I can.

Lucky13 closed down a couple years ago.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 May 2023, 8:37 pm

Yep I did hear that mate. Must be stock he still has.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Gunsmithing