marlin model 37 firing pin

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

marlin model 37 firing pin

Post by Waf150187 » 27 Jun 2023, 10:05 am

hi guys as the title says im in need of a firing pin for a marlin model 37,

i have a really good gunsmith in tas who will put one in for me if i can find one before lashing out on making me one,

numrich in new york state have them but wont post to aus, does anyone have information i dont after hours of searching the net

cheers, wes
Waf150187
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: marlin model 37 firing pin

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2023, 3:00 pm

Waf150187 wrote:hi guys as the title says im in need of a firing pin for a marlin model 37,

i have a really good gunsmith in tas who will put one in for me if i can find one before lashing out on making me one,

numrich in new york state have them but wont post to aus, does anyone have information i don't after hours of searching the net

cheers, wes

Do you have the old one to work from? A firing pin is pretty easy to make usually. And compared to shipping one out of the US the cost of making one shouldn't be too horrendous, unless it's something very complex. Is this it?
Screenshot 2023-06-27 145650.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-27 145650.jpg (151.81 KiB) Viewed 921 times

Is it a flat piece of metal or a turned piece?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 27 Jun 2023, 4:37 pm

Is the firing pin broken ? or worn down, do you have any pieces ?
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 27 Jun 2023, 7:05 pm

If making one it will need to be done with a carbon steel and heat treated
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Waf150187 » 30 Jun 2023, 1:45 pm

cheers for the reply fellas,

it is gone completely, the places in the U.S that have them dont ship to aus and the ones that do ship dont make them or dont have them

from what i can find it is similar to the picture have also asked us to purchase a detailed picture with dimensions with no luck unfortunately

the gunsmith says it'll be an easy enough process to make one but its time consuming (time=money) so what they sell them for in us is waaaay cheaper than getting one made
Waf150187
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jun 2023, 2:16 pm

Waf150187 wrote:cheers for the reply fellas,

it is gone completely, the places in the U.S that have them dont ship to aus and the ones that do ship dont make them or dont have them

from what i can find it is similar to the picture have also asked us to purchase a detailed picture with dimensions with no luck unfortunately

the gunsmith says it'll be an easy enough process to make one but its time consuming (time=money) so what they sell them for in us is waaaay cheaper than getting one made

Being a firearm part you would require a B709 permit to import it anyway, but for US sellers to export it I think they need an export licence, which most won't want to bother with. If you can organise one in the US you could fly there with a B709 and collect it yourself. As it is not actually a restricted part in Australia (as far as I'm aware anybody can own a rifle striker) if you know somebody making the trip they could collect it for you, though I think they would need to be listed on the B709 as your agent, you'd have to check that with Border Force.

I really can't see that taking more than an hour or two for any vaguely competent metalworker to fabricate, even less if they had one to work from. You can have a go yourself if you want to. Measure the width of the channel it runs in and order/find a piece of steel slightly thicker than that, and some nice files. If you want to prototype it first use aluminium, I find it easier/quicker to work with, though even plywood would work for this.

The price will depend on your reason for wanting to replace it. If you want to be able to take the rifle shooting then the couple hundred dollars spent buys you that, which may well be worth it. If you just want it shootable so you can sell it, then probably not.

I would be looking for forums (and Faebook groups) for collectors of old Marlins, old .22's, etc and see if you can make contact with a larger group of people with a similar interest, that way you might manage to find the part somewhere in the world.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing