What do you make of this?

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

What do you make of this?

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Aug 2023, 2:14 pm

A few days ago, I was obliged to loosen the screws in some scope rings. It was impossible because they were so tight and I feared that something would break. So G96 oil was squirted into the thread hole in the bottom halves. Naturally the rifle was upside down at the time and it was left overnight.
It didn't work.
Turned the rifle right way up and squirted around the screw heads. Left it overnight.
This morning the screws still would not turn. Desperation grew and I dripped acetone around the heads. Still no workee. Dripped more acetone. They were still as tight as a fishes.
So I resorted to violence and placing a brass drift on top of a head, I rapped twice with a plastic hammer. After straining on the allen key, I was rewarded with a "Crack" but then, no more. Nevertheless, I was encouraged and after two repeats it was free. There was no oil on the screw threads.
I moved to a screw on the front rings and it was ExcrooshiNatingly Tight. Sighing, I picked up the soldering iron and went to make the bed while it heated. On returning, the tip was held against the lower half where the thread was for one minute.
No Dice.
Went for the hammer again and the screw creaked.
ditto repeato and the screw was on its way out. This thread did have oil on it. The other two screws, which previously were as tight as those that I told you about, were loose! The threads of the screws that were removed completely looked quite OK. The rings are alloy and I wondered about Galvanic Corrosion without really knowing anything about it.
In future, should the threads be coated with Copper Paste?
What do you reckon? :unknown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: What do you make of this?

Post by deye243 » 08 Aug 2023, 2:27 pm

Copper and ally don't play well together you will get gc .
Just torque to proper inlb and you will be right I have never had a problem this way but did before I bought a torque wrench
Last edited by deye243 on 08 Aug 2023, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: What do you make of this?

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Aug 2023, 3:49 pm

No, no, copper.

Clean, oil, tighten, but don't be a gorilla.

A bit of latex (glove finger) helps to hold them nice & firm.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing