Ruger M77 mk2 30-06 shooting lousy

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Ruger M77 mk2 30-06 shooting lousy

Post by AlHow » 29 Aug 2023, 3:29 pm

Hi Guys,

I bought this rifle not too long ago but have never been able to get this bluddy thing to shoot under 8”/200mm at 50m. Yep, you read that right.

I did some research and came across a thread in another forum where the mag box in these is filed down so it free floats will improve accuracy. So this morn I filed it down.

The improvement is astounding. This at 50m The last 5 shots after sighting in is the tight group.

100m next.

Al.[img][img][/img][/img]
Attachments
IMG_2414.jpeg
IMG_2414.jpeg (551.57 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Re: Ruger M77 mk2 30-06 shooting lousy

Post by deye243 » 29 Aug 2023, 4:08 pm

Looks good now test at 100y
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 29 Aug 2023, 4:54 pm

Some early Mauser's had a similar problem with the back of the hinged floor plate pushing against the action . My Mauser 98 had close to the same problem but a new stock design did away with the hinged floor plate . Sometimes the real hidden accuracy problems are hard to work out but you have done very well to identify that issue and fix it . Some rifles can have multiple issues and you have to work through them one at a time .
I knew a Gunsmith once who had a funny saying to get a rise out of some people . He would say , " I think if we fit a new barrel , stock and action it should fix it " .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Billo » 29 Aug 2023, 8:59 pm

Just imagine how accurate it would be if you could drop it into a HS Precision stock with the full alloy bedding block.......

Hey great result AIHow, Rugers usually have a very accurate barrels and yours looks to be no different
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AlHow » 30 Aug 2023, 9:22 am

deye243 wrote:Looks good now test at 100y

You bet!
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by AlHow » 30 Aug 2023, 9:23 am

JohnV wrote:Some early Mauser's had a similar problem with the back of the hinged floor plate pushing against the action . My Mauser 98 had close to the same problem but a new stock design did away with the hinged floor plate . Sometimes the real hidden accuracy problems are hard to work out but you have done very well to identify that issue and fix it . Some rifles can have multiple issues and you have to work through them one at a time .
I knew a Gunsmith once who had a funny saying to get a rise out of some people . He would say , " I think if we fit a new barrel , stock and action it should fix it " .

Hehe, gotchya.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by AlHow » 30 Aug 2023, 9:27 am

Billo wrote:Just imagine how accurate it would be if you could drop it into a HS Precision stock with the full alloy bedding block.......

Hey great result AIHow, Rugers usually have a very accurate barrels and yours looks to be no different

Billo, I wan’t to keep the wooden stock mate. Work with what I’ve got.

I could free float and bed the stock.

Cheers.
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by JohnV » 30 Aug 2023, 12:13 pm

I have never had to bed a Rugger 77 however the front action screw angle gives some challenges . The saving grace is the decent flat on the bottom of the action behind that screw which gives a good bedding area . The recoil lug should have NO clearance on the back and base but two tape layer clearance on the sides and front so it comes out easier and without chipping the compound edges . It basically beds the same as a Mauser 98 but if using aluminium pillars , the front pillar has to be a special notched shape to accommodate the angle of the recoil lug . Don't over torque the front action screw on a Rugger 77 as it is pulling action back and down .
You can buy Rugger 77 bedding pillars from Brownells but check that they fit your model .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by AlHow » 30 Aug 2023, 4:20 pm

JohnV wrote:I have never had to bed a Rugger 77 however the front action screw angle gives some challenges . The saving grace is the decent flat on the bottom of the action behind that screw which gives a good bedding area . The recoil lug should have NO clearance on the back and base but two tape layer clearance on the sides and front so it comes out easier and without chipping the compound edges . It basically beds the same as a Mauser 98 but if using aluminium pillars , the front pillar has to be a special notched shape to accommodate the angle of the recoil lug . Don't over torque the front action screw on a Rugger 77 as it is pulling action back and down .
You can buy Rugger 77 bedding pillars from Brownells but check that they fit your model .

Oh thanks John. I have the front angled screw pulled down hard. For some reason I thought this was how it was supposed to be. I was told the middle screw should not be tight?

So bedding pillars from Brownells? Awesome!
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by Billo » 30 Aug 2023, 8:45 pm

AlHow wrote:
Billo wrote:Just imagine how accurate it would be if you could drop it into a HS Precision stock with the full alloy bedding block.......

Billo, I wan’t to keep the wooden stock mate. Work with what I’ve got.

I could free float and bed the stock.

Cheers.

Id be keepin the walnut too :drinks:

I just happen to have a spare near new HS Precision stock for you gun laying about, will probably off load it this weekend
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 30 Aug 2023, 8:51 pm

AIHow below are the torque setting and sequence for Ruger M77 Haweye's, obviously you can go to the upper limit with Synthetic stocks whilst using the the lower limits for a Walnut stock and adjusting up if needed

The sequence and torques are:
1. The diagonal screw, torque to 50-90 inch-pounds.
2. The aft trigger guard screw, 30-50 inch pounds.
3. The forward trigger guard screw, also to 30-50 inch pounds.
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 30 Aug 2023, 9:05 pm

AlHow wrote:
JohnV wrote:I have never had to bed a Rugger 77 however the front action screw angle gives some challenges . The saving grace is the decent flat on the bottom of the action behind that screw which gives a good bedding area . The recoil lug should have NO clearance on the back and base but two tape layer clearance on the sides and front so it comes out easier and without chipping the compound edges . It basically beds the same as a Mauser 98 but if using aluminium pillars , the front pillar has to be a special notched shape to accommodate the angle of the recoil lug . Don't over torque the front action screw on a Rugger 77 as it is pulling action back and down .

Oh thanks John. I have the front angled screw pulled down hard. For some reason I thought this was how it was supposed to be. I was told the middle screw should not be tight?

So bedding pillars from Brownells? Awesome!

I said not to . "over torque it " that does not mean you don't pull it down firm and tight . Without pillars the center could be a bending influence if it's not bedded well . It's shooting well so the screw tension you have now seems good .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Gunsmithing