Making a foresight taller

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Making a foresight taller

Post by Tinker » 31 Oct 2023, 1:32 pm

I recently acquired a 297-230 Morris cadet rifle, which is shooting about 48cm high at 50m regardless of different powders. The rear sight is at its lowest elevation.
By my calculations the foresight needs to be 4.8mm taller.
It's a simple post on a block, mounted into a dovetail on the barrel.
I know I could just glue something to the top of it, but I'd rather something more permanent.
Not knowing anything about welding, would it be feasible to build it up with some weld and grind it to shape?
Tinker
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Making a foresight taller

Post by bladeracer » 31 Oct 2023, 2:04 pm

Tinker wrote:I recently acquired a 297-230 Morris cadet rifle, which is shooting about 48cm high at 50m regardless of different powders. The rear sight is at its lowest elevation.
I know I could just glue something to the top of it, but I'd rather something more permanent.
Not knowing anything about welding, would it be feasible to build it up with some weld and grind it to shape?

I'm not familiar with the sight but yes, I can't see why it couldn't be built up with weld, ideally TIG. Being dovetailed though you could just make a replacement out of some steel or aluminium stock, or buy an aftermarket one that fits. Might even be possible to 3D print it nowadays. If you don't mind destroying the original you could grind the blade off and put a screw into the dovetail base, grind it flat, then grind it to the height you require. Make sure you work up an accurate load first, then alter the sights to suit it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Oct 2023, 2:16 pm

Perhaps silver solder a bit of mild steel on top
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 05 Nov 2023, 8:45 am

Tinker wrote:I recently acquired a 297-230 Morris cadet rifle, which is shooting about 48cm high at 50m regardless of different powders. The rear sight is at its lowest elevation.

Nearly 5mm seems like a very big discrepancy.
Are you sure you are using the sights correctly?
First thing is to make sure the front sight is matt black. A Birchwood Casey matt black touch up pen would be useful.
When aiming ensure the the front sight is level with the rear sight and there is daylight between the aiming mark and the aligned sights.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Nov 2023, 12:36 pm

I have the same issue with a Lithgow single shot .22
it shoots about 2" high at 25m with the rear seat to its lowest setting.
I often wonder if someone has taken to the front sight with a file.
Building it up as OB suggested to higher than needed then slowly filing it down until it's right is on the cards, Just haven't got around to it yet.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2023, 1:06 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I have the same issue with a Lithgow single shot .22
Building it up as OB suggested to higher than needed then slowly filing it down until it's right is on the cards, Just haven't got around to it yet.

Same with my Model 1B, it puts CCI Standard Velocity 120mm high at 20m. I figured it must've only been fired with very light loads (Zimmers perhaps) and a previous owner altered the sights to suit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Nov 2023, 1:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Same with my Model 1B, it puts CCI Standard Velocity 120mm high at 20m. I figured it must've only been fired with very light loads (Zimmers perhaps) and a previous owner altered the sights to suit.

Perhaps it's normal then? mine is a 1B as well.
I wonder how .22 ammo performed back when they were manufactured?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Nov 2023, 3:02 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Perhaps it's normal then? mine is a 1B as well.
I wonder how .22 ammo performed back when they were manufactured?

My 1930's Cooey Ace-1 also groups about 140mm high at 25m, you use the blade to centre windage but you have to hold the top edge of the muzzle level with the top of the rearsight with standard velocity ammo.
I doubt there's much difference ballistically, it's still just a cast heeled 40gn bullet at around the speed of sound. I doubt the BC has improved significantly.
But in earlier times gallery loads were more common than they are now. Things like CB's and low-velocity shorts and longs with 21gn to 29gn bullets at around 600-700fps.
It's possible the sights are original and that is how they were designed but it seems unlikely to me.

Try some CCI Quiets (40gn at 710fps) in the rifle, they should print closer to point of aim at hunting ranges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Nov 2023, 3:42 pm

My 58 cal hawken puts shots 6" high at 100m on its lowest setting. At some I must buy a taller front sight
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tinker » 06 Nov 2023, 8:32 pm

straightshooter wrote:

Nearly 5mm seems like a very big discrepancy.
Are you sure you are using the sights correctly?
First thing is to make sure the front sight is matt black. A Birchwood Casey matt black touch up pen would be useful.
When aiming ensure the the front sight is level with the rear sight and there is daylight between the aiming mark and the aligned sights.

I regularly shoot SMLE's and 310 cadets, so am very familiar with how to use open sights.
Many thanks for the extra feedback folks, it seems I'm not the only one with a too-short foresight.
These little Morris Long cases only hold about 1.2gr of Trailboss. If I went with a lighter load it would become tricky measuring the powder.
Looking at the BSA Martini Cadets, they have a very high foresight which sits nearly 10mm above the barrel. The Morris is just under 5mm above the barrel, so an extra 5mm certainly wouldn't look out of place.
Tinker
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by womble » 07 Nov 2023, 5:29 am

Explains why the bullets are always whistling over their heads in old movies.
Just accurate recreation of events.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Gunsmithing